Baby Showers

Gender Reveal Party

I have a question regarding gender reveal parties. My SIL is pregnant with number 2, and she recently told us they are going to have a gender reveal party to announce the sex of the baby. Their DD1 is having a birthday party a month before the gender reveal and when we suggested doing it at the same time (the month shes having the party is inconvenient for most of us because of birthdays already taking up every weekend) she replied, "we want to keep it separate that way DD1 gets her own day and people will bring gift cards for the new baby since we're not having a shower".  Now, I'm in the camp that gender reveals are AW and totally not my style at all, but I was going to go until she started talking about gifts being expected.  Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Re: Gender Reveal Party

• Personally I wouldn't think that a gender reveal would be a gifting party. If someone brings a gift then that's great, but it shouldn't be expected.

• I wouldn't bring a gift to a gender reveal party. Although, I also would not go to a gender a reveal party either.

It's pretty rude and presumptuous of her to expect gifts. 

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds like your SIL is going to be a tad bit disappointed. Oh Well, that's what happens people get greedy.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • imageHappyMrsK:
    I wouldn't bring a gift to a gender reveal party. Although, I also would not go to a gender a reveal party either. It's pretty rude and presumptuous of her to expect gifts.nbsp;

Yup. I'm all for gender reveals, as long as it's more along the lines of "Hey, we were having dinner/ getting together anyway and by the way we're having a ...! Here's a cupcake!"
    Having one explicitly to get gifts? Super tacky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She's in for a rude awakening. Gender reveal parties, from what I've learned, are not gift giving events.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• I can see not wanting to have DD1's birthday be "overshadowed" by the new baby. Kids can be sensitive and sibling rivalry is real.

I personally wouldn't have a gender reveal party. I definitely think it is AW. I also don't think they are gift giving parties. 

If your weekends are all full and you can't make it (or don't feel like it) don't attend. :-)  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • LC122LC122 member
    I think you are overthinking it.
    I get the part about not wanting to overshadow the other kid. I don't like the idea of combo parties no matter what or for whom they are.
    As for the gender reveal party, if you are too busy, don't go. If you aren't happy for them or interested in finding out the gender with them, don't go.
    Otherwise, just go and don't worry about taking a gift as they are not supposed to be gift giving events.
    Maybe give your SIL the benefit of the doubt and think maybe she meant that some people might bring gift cards or token gifts since they aren't having a shower and some people just like to bring gifts or might want to give them something even if it's not expected. Some people just like shopping for baby stuff or don't like showing up to a party empty handed.
  • I made it clear to everyone at my gender reveal we did not want gifts. But three people brought them any ways. I understand her wanting I keep it separate, maybe she meant in case people bring gifts. My pregnant brain seems to leave out parts of my thoughts lately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think they're gross too, but I agree that it shouldn't be the same day as the other child's birthday party. If you can't go, don't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"