Babies: 3 - 6 Months

when do you plan to wean off the paci?

i have heard recommendations as early as 6 months to wean off pacfiers because this is when they can learn to self soothe instead of paci soothe. i was just wondering if anyone has any plans of when they will wean or i have heard of some waiting until their child just doesn't want it anymore.

i personally don't think if you can walk and talk you should have a paci, so the plan as a FTM who has never done this before, is to wean at around 9-11 months so we are paci free by 1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: when do you plan to wean off the paci?

• a&s05a&s05 member
    It's probably just a personal preference thing but I agree with trying to have baby weaned by 1. I heard a way to help them wean is to snip the nipple part of the paci off so its a new shape and will start to feel uncomfortable to baby and them learn to not like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LSU628LSU628 member

I tried at about 18 mo with DD and it was WW3. She was so upset she was literally slamming her head into the rails of her crib. Needless to say after 3 days I caved and she got it back. She finally broke the habit a little over 2 when she started school. The rule was paci had to stay in the bed. She wasn't allowed to walk around with it and it didn't even go in the car. DD was (and still is) such a horrible sleeper as it was, I was afraid to make things worse.

With DS, I may try earlier. He tends to be more laid back than DD so we shall see....

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • lbw05lbw05 member

I've heard the same as you, I'm shooting for between 4-6 months. I think any later than that and it's a real habit and harder to break, which is probably why the 18 month old above had such a hard time.

My own personal opinion, but I shudder at seeing toddlers who can talk walking around with one in their mouth, it makes no sense to me!! A friend of mine posted a video on facebook the other day of his 20 month old in the car and literally talking with the thing in his mouth. WTF?!?

• lkm2006lkm2006 member
    If you can take it away early, go for it! DS1 wasn't super attached but became some later on, maybe around 8 to 9 months. He was a horrible sleeper and even more horrible in the car so I wasn't about to take it away.

Now at almost 20 months he's super attached to it. I try and limit it to the car and naps but that's really a joke sometimes. Judge away but until you've BTDT you have NO idea. You learn to pick your battles when you have kids and I guess this isn't one of ours at the time. It's not like he's going to go to kindergarten with the thing.

• It will be a wait and see thing for us.  The paci was the only thing that helped DD while teething. NOTHING else helped besides teething tablets, and we didn't want to give those to her all of the time.  She didn't even really use one until she got her first teeth.  DS has used one since day one, when we couldn't hold him in the nursery for 24 hours. He likes sucking on his hands now, but still wants the paci especially when sleeping. We may try taking it away at the end of the summer before DH goes back to work. Who knows.

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    This is our 3rd baby and we have always allowed them to have them for naps and bedtime ONLY. I never liked seeing babies or kids wide awake walking around with them. When my older kids were about 1 1/2 years old we got rid of them for naps, just kept "forgetting" them but they had it at bedtime. At 2 they left them out for the baby reindeer or baby bunny to use, they each were born near holidays. It was no big deal.
  • I plan to have her off it by a year, but after reading this maybe I'll try sooner (I'm a paci novice, but first never took to them).

DD only uses it to go to sleep, and sometimes during car rides, so I'm probably ahead of the game and should try to nix it before she becomes more attached to it.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • My LO LOVED the paci from day three until about 5 months and then he just wasn't interested. He weaned himself (and I thought it would never happen) so I guess you never know! 

• I agree with age 1 as a good time to stop the paci. That said, I didn't get DD1 off the paci until age two. I am horrible. It wasn't that I didn't want to, but she would just cry for hours without it, and we didn't start weaning until 14 months. Once I did start, DH would sneak in and give it to her, because it was "easier". Soooo frustrating. As soon as he went to work out of town, I threw them all away. I can't stand when a child is talking through their paci.

I think this time around, I am just going cold turkey instead of any sort of weaning. It might end up being a rough first few nights, but I don't want to fall on it again, or have DH plug her to make life easier. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • ta78ta78 member

DS was about 15ish months when we took them away. He had started biting it and nearly bit completely through and I was worried he'd choke on it one day. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. It was fine though, out of sight out of mind it seemed. I pick and choose my battles though, we will see what happens with DD. It doesn't bother me much seeing a 2 year old still with a pacifier.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Right now, DS only takes the paci for sleeping, but even then he doesn't always want it.  At the very latest, I'm hoping he's done with it by 2, but if he continues like he does right now, he'll be done with it probably by about 1.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• around 2, unless she shows me signs earier.

around 1 it will only be used in the car and at bedtime.

It was like DS's lovey, he was attached and it soothed him better than anything.  I couldn't imagine taking it away earlier than that if it wasn't causing any harm.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • laura1laura1 member
    imageLSU628:

I tried at about 18 mo with DD and it was WW3. She was so upset she was literally slamming her head into the rails of her crib. Needless to say after 3 days I caved and she got it back. She finally broke the habit a little over 2 when she started school. The rule was paci had to stay in the bed. She wasn't allowed to walk around with it and it didn't even go in the car. DD was (and still is) such a horrible sleeper as it was, I was afraid to make things worse.

With DS, I may try earlier. He tends to be more laid back than DD so we shall see....

This was my experience with DS, and what I though with DD1...but she is 3 today and still has hers for nap and bed.  We are taking it away this weekend.  So 3 is my limit! 

ETA: and flame away - but my DS never napped again after we got rid of his paci.  My DD1 still takes a 2 hour nap every afternoon - I wasn't willing to give that up just to get rid of the paci before she was 3! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • erbearerbear member

I'm giggling at the FTMs. Haven't you learned yet to never say never?

DD1 wasn't interested. I took hers around 6 months and she didn't care at all. She's a thumb-sucker. DD2 still has hers for bedtime (she's 27 months). She knows it stays in her crib and she uses it when she falls asleep (she doesn't keep it in when she's sleeping). We'll get rid of it at some point, but I'm not in a rush...it's not causing any issues. 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    imageerbear:

I'm giggling at the FTMs. Haven't you learned yet to never say never?

DD1 wasn't interested. I took hers around 6 months and she didn't care at all. She's a thumb-sucker. DD2 still has hers for bedtime (she's 27 months). She knows it stays in her crib and she uses it when she falls asleep (she doesn't keep it in when she's sleeping). We'll get rid of it at some point, but I'm not in a rush...it's not causing any issues. 

Amen!! I totally judged my sister for letting her sons have it past 1, but until you've gone down that road you have no idea........

I also said I'd never let my kids sleep in my bed, but at 3 1/2 DD still ninjas her way into my bed every night. I have no idea when she gets there, but I wake up and she's just there. Sigh........

imageimage
  • With DD we did at 18 months, it worked well because it was there one night and then the next day they had all disappeared. Luckily DS won't take a paci.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"