February 2012 Moms
Options

Need help with DS' weight

So DS had his 15 month appt yesterday and he is only in the 3 percentile for weight. His height is steady at 15%. 

The pedi said we need to increase his calorie intake, and suggested upping carbs, offering peanut butter, cheeses, crackers, pasta...stuff like that. 

But we have been doing that. It's just not working. Like today, he's only had 410 calories and it is almost 4pm. I don't know how much he's supposed to have a day but it's frustrating because he eats all day long and I feel like it's not enough.

Today he's had a cup of yogurt, a whole banana, a nutragrain bar,  a whole packet of oatmeal and Mac and cheese plus 2 cups of whole milk. 

We left a message with the pedi for clarification, but in the mean time does anyone have any advice or insight?

Re: Need help with DS' weight

• Options
    MollySmMollySm member
    Lucia has the same problem. I think our doctor is resigned to the fact that she eats, she just isn't going to gain much, but she still always tells us to have her eat more high fat foods.  We try and give her a lot of peanut butter, avocado, cheese, I cook with butter and olive oil.  She drinks milk, and eats yogurt.  We try potatoes, and pasta and bread.  We do sometimes mix peanut butter into her yogurt, so you could try that?  As long as he's eating reasonable amounts of food, and you are getting the high fat foods in there, I just don't think there's that much more that needs to be done.  But we knew Lucia was going to be small (none of H's sisters or  his mom hit 5'), so we aren't too surprised.  If we were both bigger, I would be more concerned, but we aren't, so I try not to get too worried about it.  

Sorry I don't have better advice, just commiseration.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    imageMollySm:
    Lucia has the same problem. I think our doctor is resigned to the fact that she eats, she just isn't going to gain much, but she still always tells us to have her eat more high fat foods. nbsp;We try and give her a lot of peanut butter, avocado, cheese, I cook with butter and olive oil. nbsp;She drinks milk, and eats yogurt. nbsp;We try potatoes, and pasta and bread. nbsp;We do sometimes mix peanut butter into her yogurt, so you could try that? nbsp;As long as he's eating reasonable amounts of food, and you are getting the high fat foods in there, I just don't think there's that much more that needs to be done. nbsp;But we knew Lucia was going to be small none of H's sisters or nbsp;his mom hit 5', so we aren't too surprised. nbsp;If we were both bigger, I would be more concerned, but we aren't, so I try not to get too worried about it. nbsp;Sorry I don't have better advice, just commiseration. nbsp;
    this is us exactly! I'm in the shorter side and so is DH. The dr said as long as she is eating well then we are doing fine. Sometimes genetics play a big part with weight. Also the dr told me to think of what she's getting in a weeks time, at this age they fluctuate so much on how much they eat everyday that if you go by a weekly count they usually ate eating way better than it looks. As long as you feel he's getting enough to eat I would try not to stress too much, he just might be a small little guy ::mobile smiley::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't have the exact problem but Jackson will go through random eating strike. Our ped said if he hasn't eaten in three days, before bedtime offer him some Carnation Goodstart. She said to do it at night because it can really fill him up and then he really really won't eat all day! Maybe you can try that at night
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    How much did he weigh? Audra is very petite and was only 19 1/2 pounds at her appointment almost a month ago and her pediatrician isn't worried at all because the girl can eat. Will he eat PB&J sandwiches? Audra loves them and it's a great source of fat and protein!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Options
    Try pancakes, waffles, potatoes, gravy. The foods you named are very healthy, which is great! But not very calorie dense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Those hillshire polksa kielbasa sausage things have tons of fat and calories. Just be sure to add veggies because they're lacking in vitamins.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm late to the post, but have you tried mashing up avocado into applesauce.  My LO loves it.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
    Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • Options
    Some kids are just small, and that's perfectly fine. It frustrates me that pedis often suggest bulking kids up without any real reason for it- just so they will be bigger? If they are eating food and are offered plenty of healthy options, are meeting milestones, and are growing (either in height OR weight-sometimes it's just one or the other!), they are fine. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"