Baby Names
Options

Husband wants to give baby his first name

I didn't take DH's last name. We have a very close relationship with my parents, his are deceased and his last name is a) the name of a fish and b) not meaningful to him because it was just his mom's previous married name (of a terrible guy) when she had him as a single mom. So he agreed that LO will have my last name - huzzah! But because of this he really wants the baby to have his first name. Now, I love his name and we could shorten it to a nn for the baby, but... I really don't want two of them in the same house! Also, I suggested and he accepted giving the baby DH's brother's name as a middle name (because I did want to be sure to include his family) and so really, DH will get 2 family names and the LO will end up with nothing that's just his. Thoughts?

Re: Husband wants to give baby his first name

• Options

It's not a pissing contest of who gets how many names from their family.  Bottom line is - you BOTH need to agree on a name for your child.  I wouldn't allow him to use your last name as a bargaining chip either... it doesn't sound like he's really sacrificing anything by giving your child your last name.  Tell him how you feel about it and start brain-storming new names.

• Options
    scorchscorch member

imagelibrarianlady:
    I didn't take DH's last name. We have a very close relationship with my parents, his are deceased and his last name is a) the name of a fish and b) not meaningful to him because it was just his mom's previous married name (of a terrible guy) when she had him as a single mom. So he agreed that LO will have my last name - huzzah! But because of this he really wants the baby to have his first name. Now, I love his name and we could shorten it to a nn for the baby, but... I really don't want two of them in the same house! Also, I suggested and he accepted giving the baby DH's brother's name as a middle name (because I did want to be sure to include his family) and so really, DH will get 2 family names and the LO will end up with nothing that's just his. Thoughts?

give him the most amazing kickass nick name that can be all his. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could always give your son your Hs as first name, and not give him your BILs as middle name. Choose something else you like for a middle name and call him that. Lots of people go by their middle names.
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    saham07saham07 member
    I say , that since you like his name and can nn the baby and it not be confusing, then I think it is a nice compromise . The two names vs one thing sounds very childish. If you like the way "DH BIL YOURLAST"  combo sounds together, then do it. If not , pick a new mn. In the end the name will end up belonging to your baby, not DH, BIL, YOU. It will become his.
  • Options
    To me it makes more since for his kid to have his last name if you guys are married. Especially since you don't have his last name. I say give the baby his last name and then decide on a first name together which isn't his name.
  • Options
    It sounds like you aren't just concerned about the baby getting two names from daddy's side, but that the baby doesn't get his own unique name. Only you can decide how much that bothers you as a couple. Some folks place little value on being unique and feel it is a gift to give a child a family name. Others feel the opposite. You just have to decide what works for you. The baby will not be scarred by having family names unless you turn it into an issue.
  • Options

imagezaramarie81:
    It sounds like you aren't just concerned about the baby getting two names from daddy's side, but that the baby doesn't get his own unique name. Only you can decide how much that bothers you as a couple. Some folks place little value on being unique and feel it is a gift to give a child a family name. Others feel the opposite. You just have to decide what works for you. The baby will not be scarred by having family names unless you turn it into an issue.
    yup

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"