Postpartum Depression

Insurance- possibly odd question

I know there is HIPPA and all, but my insurance sends me letters all of the time telling me I should be on this drug because it's cheaper or flyers in the mail about diabetes because I bought a glucose monitor when I had GD.  How much can my insurance company influence my future if I get ppd drugs?  Can they deny procedures later on because I have mental illness?  If I get a divorce, can the judge rule in favor of my husband because I have a mental illness?   I know they aren't supposed to, but if I don't tell the world, how much will the world still know? I know it sounds paranoid, but because there seems to be no privacy already with my meds, I figure this will continue.

Re: Insurance- possibly odd question

• kgs0505kgs0505 member
    HIPPA isn''t designed to keep your medical info from the imsurance companies. i know it seems invasive, but the insurance companies are bound by hippa and can't share your medical info with the world. i wouldn't worry about the words mental illness following you around because your insurance company knows you are on antidepressants or antianxiety meds.

eta the letters your insurance company are sending is an attempt for them to control costs. of course, they are not doctors, but i suspect they hope some people will ask their doc about the alternative med and it can be switched. also, as much info as they can give you to control a chronic condition and you do it, the fewer crises you may have with the condition and therefore the cheaper your care will be over time.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• You are asking good questions.  I am not sure how everything works.  Years ago, I applied for an individual medical insurance policy (not through a group) and was told that  I was uninsurable in the state of California through a non group policy because I was taking Prozac at the time by an insurance broker.  Not sure if things have changed or if this would differ in other states.

We would also not be considered for international adoption in many countries because of my mental health history.

So, valid things to think about, but this should not discourage anyone from getting the help that they need. 

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"