December 2010 Moms
Options

f/u taking blood

Traumatizing lol.  The allergist did the scratch test again and G was surprisingly calm and just sat still and watched him do it.  Last time it was a shtstorm.  It was negative for eggs, whoo hoo!

Next step was the blood test.  They had G sit on my lap and after trying to find an arm vein, they had G lie down.  He was calm until this point, when the tech roughly put the tourniquet on.  Cue waterworks.  Then they couldn't find a good vein so they had him turn around.  They had me basically lie on him while another tech held out his arm and a different tech took the blood.  Again they had a hard time finding a vein and when they poked him, they had to reposition the needle many times...his poor minced meat vein lol.  It looked blown to me but what do I know?  It also wasn't flowing very well so we had to keep G still for what seemed like foreverrrr.  When it was done they commented on how strong G is lol.  Thank goodness thats over with and hopefully we don't have to do that for a loooong time.

On a different note, G tested positive on dog/cat allergies.  The allergist said around 30% of kids outgrow this type of allergy but most don't.  And continuous re-exposure to dogs/cats now won't do anything.  It looks like we won't be able to get our dogs back and I'm really upset about this.  Its my fault we let our dogs go in the first place and G stopped getting exposed to them, which made these allergies appear.  This whole situation sucks.

Re: f/u taking blood

• Options
    I am so sorry, that does sound extremely traumatizing. Was it done at a different place than his pedis office? If it was at the same place I hope he isn't scared to go back.

Don't feel bad about the dogs, you did what you thought was best at the time!
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    Hugs. That's cruddy all around. Try not to beat yourself up over it though. You didn't do anything wrong and he may have developed allergies anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member

Aw man - hooray on the egg allergy disappearing, but major boos to the dog/cat allergies.  You shouldn't beat yourself up too much, though - you made the best decision for your family at that time and G may have developed allergies even with the dogs in the house.  And then it would be even harder for him to have said goodbye.

I'm sorry you won't be able to get your dogs back.  That sucks.  Hugs!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

Aww, I'm sorry it was so rough. My veins have always been kind of hard to find too, so I feel bad for little G. It's no fun.

I must have missed the backstory with the dogs, but like pps have said, G's allergies aren't your fault. I have heard some people's allergies have improved as they've grown up, and also some people react to certain breeds and coat types and not to others. So if you decide you want dogs in your life when G is a little older, there are things you could look into, but for now, hang in there and don't beat yourself up.

::hugs::

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Ouch!  Poor G!  I have really small veins and often have a heck of time when I have to give blood, so I can totally sympathize with G!   I've actually said, "That's enough!" and left without giving blood because I couldn't take the idiot stabbing me anymore.

Sorry about the allergies.  I also grew up with many allergies, including dogs and cats.  They really got much worse when we had cats.  I ended up getting allergy shots when I was about 13 and it was life changing! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

oh, that sounds like a horrible experience for both of you!

so sorry about the allergies.  crossing my fingers he's one of the lucky ones and grows out of it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"