April 2013 Moms
Options

Fighting sleep

My LO has started fighting going to sleep. She will be 7 wks on Monday. The last week or two have been a struggle to get her to sleep. I can tell she's tired but she will not fall asleep or if she does nod off it will only be for a very short time. She then gets so tired that she has melt downs. We have tried soft music, rocking, dimmed lights, etc. She does not like to be swaddled....even nurses in hospital when she was born noticed it. Does anyone else have a LO fighting g sleep? Any suggestions?

Re: Fighting sleep

• Options
    My little man has been fighting sleep for weeks now. The one thing that almost always works is to put him in a room that is completely dark. If there is nothing for him to look at he will finally allow himself to go to sleep. That and rides in the car...
  • Options
    we run DS's head under the tap in the kitchen. he will go for naps, but he hates "going to bed" at night.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    5 S's (with a modified swaddle - arms out but hugged snugly, cradled in my arms) works for us. It usually takes a good 5-10 minutes of Shhhhhh'ing before he's in a deep enough sleep to transition to the PnP
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
    suedellsuedell member
    I could have written your exact post. I can totally tell when Ds is tired but all the former newborn tricks don't work anymore. Tonight I just nursed Him a lot then held him really tightly as he screamed until he passed out. I feel terrible for him and us. I wish I could offer some advice but I only can say I am in the same boat.
  • Options
    chalimachalima member

Keep trying to swaddle. It took my lo 8 weeks before he would allow us to swaddle him, but now that we can swaddle him he stays asleep much better. Before he would wake up in the swaddle, fight to get free and if he couldn't scream until I let him out. I just kept trying to coax him into it every few days. Totally worth it.

He also fights sleep since about 5 or 6 weeks. He's 9.5 weeks now. It comes and goes in intensity.

Unfortunately, I don't have any awesome solution for you on that. Things that sometimes work: wearing him out with lots of active play, catching him before he's too tired, taking him on a walk either in my arms or the carrier. When all else fails, I let him have his melt down for 10-15 mins max and start over, usually by offering the breast again. Crying works up an appetite.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image imageimage
  • Options
    Sleeping is s learned behavior and niw that they are more aware of their surroundings they would rather stay up with you than go to sleep. So it just takes lots of practice and creating the rigjt environment foe good sleep to teach them. I found the book healthy sleep habits happy child helpful info foruunderstanding why they sleep the way they do.
  • Options
    Try taking him for a ride in the car.
  • Options
    The one mentioned above or I am reading "your sleepless baby". It's an eye opener. I haven't even finished the book yet but have started implementing some things and I feel like a new women. Baby and I are MUCH happier. I think they should send a sleep book home with all new mothers. The info is priceless. Good luck to you and your LO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"