Breastfeeding

Starting to dislike BF

I am starting to not like this whole BF thing. It's all I do ALL day! I keep hearing its a growth spurt, but I am almost litterally parked nursing all day long. I get nothing accomplished at home and barely have time to shower or eat lunch. As soon as I put LO down, she fusses and acts like she wants to eat. I've been supplementing with formula once or twice a day per the doctor, but want her to get the benefits of BFing but, feel like I'm sacrificeing a life to do so. Isn't there a balance to BF and also enjoy the new born experience? I feel like I'm not enjoying my maternity leave. Btw LO just turned 1 month old yesterday, any input?

Re: Starting to dislike BF

• SkyBeeSkyBee member
    It gets better, I promise. At 4 weeks I had resorted to EPing, had mastitis,  thrush, and found out I have Raynauds.  Now at 2 months, I am back to nursing FT and we are doing pretty good! Every day I am feeling less pain, and a few days ago, I had that amazing moment of overwhelming love from breastfeeding for the first time. I am SO glad I stuck it out. I wanted to nurse the twins so badly because I nursed DS1 and it was so easy and convenient. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is baby having issues transferring milk? Not gaining enough weight? Just curious what prompted you to start supplementing and whether you've consulted with a lactation consultant. 

Honestly, and people might disagree with me on this, but I think it's asking an awful lot to enjoy the newborn stage. Yes, newborns are sweet and snuggly, but there's not much to really enjoy, you know? All they do is eat, sleep, and poop, sometimes at the same time; they're not yet interactive; you're still recovering from pregnancy and childbirth; you're still getting to know your baby and not getting much sleep and adjusting to a huge life change. There is a huge learning curve to being a mom, and the first four to six weeks are an uphill climb.

The thing is, it doesn't last, and while that's sort of bittersweet, it gets so much more fun with each passing day, and things like BFing usually get so much easier. You will soon find that you have more time to do things like take a shower (but in the meantime, maybe offer a binky and take a quick one anyway).

As far as the BFing difficulties, I can only say that if you haven't seen an LC, do so ASAP to evaluate latch and transfer, and possibly even to get some reassurance that you're nearly through the roughest part. 

• Loading the player...
  • One note - hang in there - but - remember the grass is always greener.. its possibe (not necessarily true - but possible) that if you were only bottle feeding that the rest of the time you are nursing right now would be spent soothing and still not getting anything done.  Bfing is very soothing for the baby and sometimes higher needs infants will nurse a ton for this reason.  Sometimes if you stop nursing they will seek that comfort other ways - such as rocking, bouncing, etc (From you) and thus still not let you put them down.

If you can - hang in there another 2 - 3 weeks.  After the 6 week growth spurt I noticed a considerable "break" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like others have said, hang in there! I felt like a giant boob for the first 6 weeks, but now that he's 12 weeks, I almost wish he would nurse more, because that's our special little time. :) 

Also wondering why the doc has you supplementing...?

Get a good book, some good movies, snacks, and a giant bottle of water. This might be the only time your husband will cook and/or clean (if he's anything like mine!).  

• I can relate! My LO is one month tomorrow and I feel trapped! I want to stick it out since I have herd it gets better. I decided to let my boyfriend give LO a bottle of bm when I feel like ok going crazy and need a break. It helps big time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The doctor wanted me to supplement after the first week and we had a weight check and she wasn't gaining the half a pound a week like they wanted. I'm fine with the supplementing of formula. I want to make sure she's getting enough to eat, but the constant nursing can be maddening. Thank you for your input and encouragement, I'll try to stick it out though at least I go back to work, which she will be 9 weeks/ 2 months old
  •  Is she actually swallowing when she nurses? If not, she could be nursing just for comfort half the time.

It gets better! I loathed BFing, but knew I'd regret it if I switched to formula, so I stuck it out and after 3-4 months My hatred stopped. I'm so glad I stuck with it. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. You need your sanity! It sure is frustrating to feel like you're trapped, just BFing all day long. My DS is now 9 months old. He is not a good eater, but better now than when he was a newborn. 

Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

• It gets better! Just stick with it! I felt the same way. Around 6 wks or so it starts to get much easier. My LO is 10 months and it's a piece of cake honestly! Good luck to you! Your doing a good job!
  • ObLaDiObLaDi member
    There were times I was literally crying in frustration when DS was that age and nursing for hours on end.

It gets SO much better. Now it's quick, easy, portable and enjoyable. He spends less than 90 minutes nursing in a 24 hour period.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"