Birth Stories
Options

To those of you w/ this being your 2nd or more kid.....

.....if your kid is old enough to handle him/herself at the hospital did you have the kid hang out with you quite a bit when the new baby came? My son has asked if he can eat supper with us and use my tray that swings over my bed. So I'm sure he'd love to go to the cafe with hubby and get some food and come back to the room and eat. He also went to sibling class at the hospital and when he got a tour of the room where mommy and baby will be after delivery. He asked where his bed was. Has anyone ever had their kids spend the night with them in the hospital or is that just a bad idea. I know the baby will be up wanting to by Text-Enhance" href="https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/74240258.aspx#" in_rurl="https://i.trkjmp.com/click?v=VVM6MzI1MDI6OTc5Om51cnNlOmMxMzA1NTZhYjZjNzg5MTUxMzM5YWEyYmY5ZWE1ODk3OnotMTMzNS0xMjcwMDU6Y29tbXVuaXR5LnRoZWJ1bXAuY29tOjMxMjM3OjJmZGE1NzkxOWM3MzcyMTI5MTFmOTM1NmY3ZGM0MjRj">nurse and such but I want to make sure to make this a special time for my son as well. He is 4 end of this month so it's not like he's still in diapers and have to handle that. But just curious how much everyone else with multiple kids has done it when in hospital. Try to involve them as much as they want or just have them come visit and call it good at that.

Re: To those of you w/ this being your 2nd or more kid.....

• Options
    Is this spam? I'm wondering why the word "nurse" is a clicky link, but I'm not about to click on it willy nilly
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    rab2006rab2006 member
    You'll probably want to check with the hospital on their policies regarding children visits. I know a lot of hospitals will let siblings visit, but not other children. With that said, I'm not sure they'd even let an older child sleep overnight in your room. For us, we will obviously let DD visit as much or as long as she wants knowing that at 4 years old, it will still get extremely boring for her to be stuck in that room. If she wants to eat dinner there, great; DH can order a pizza or whatever for us. I will not allow her to sleep over in the room just bc it's generally exhausting enough for me from what I remember being woken up every 2-3 hours for nursing and general checks. I don't need her being woken up and then a cranky peach the next day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our kids are 8 and 6, and they only stayed about 1/2 hour the day after the baby was born. I had a C-section so I was still feeling awful, but mostly the kids were just bored! They oohed and ahhed and held their baby sister, chatted with DH and me, and then they were ready to go.

In my opinion, having your son spend the night would be a bad idea. Even if he sleeps well in new places, don't forget people will be coming in to check you and the baby like every 5 min all night long. And if its an extended period during the day, you will use your energy trying to keep him occupied instead of getting some much needed rest and bonding with your new baby.

• Options
    palm513palm513 member

imageLaurelBee:
    Is this spam? I'm wondering why the word "nurse" is a clicky link, but I'm not about to click on it willy nilly

it links it to the same post in the 3rd trimester board... I clicked on accident. and wondered why the page reloaded and though my pc was being weird.

• Options
    Most hospitals wont allow other children to spend the night. My other kids are much older, 8 and 13, and I'd never consider having them stay the night. Hospitals are uncomfortable as is and with all the nighttime checking the nurses do I'd think they wouldnt get any sleep anyways.
    Joy

Proud mom to:

Cameron (Jan 11, 2000)
    Cassidy (May 5, 2005)
    Callen (August 23, 2013)

My heavenly angels
    ~Caleb~ Jan 21, 1999
    ~Carys~ April 29, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"