3rd Trimester
Options

Study: Adverse effects of Pitocin in Newborns

It's a short read. I wonder why this is just now coming to light. I recognize that there are times when the benefits may outweigh the risks regarding augmentation but I cannot fathom that we need it as much as we're using it these days.

https://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/News_Room/News_Releases/2013/Study_Finds_Adverse_Effects_of_Pitocin_in_Newborns#.UYlobfyuAKQ.facebook 

Re: Study: Adverse effects of Pitocin in Newborns

• Options
    So what exactly are you saying?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

This came out a few weeks ago. 

I know it's something they're looking into further, specifically the difference between natural and artificial oxytocin and why it affects the baby the way it does.

But it follows/backs up the ACOG's recommendation against elective u/s until 41 weeks. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WOOHOO--I feel even better about my prior to full term medically needed induction. Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

OP-- I can appreciate wanting to share the findings because some folks may not know, but are you aiming to make folks that need to be induced feel bad? What exactly is the point of posting this? Those that are concerned about the effects can look this information up themselves or ask their doctors to explain it to them. 

I ask again, what exactly are you meaning to say with this?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

The article itself say that they aren't discouraging doctors from using pitocin, just to be aware of the reasons they are using it.  Very few people get induced for no reason.  You absolutely have to weigh the benefits with the risks.  There are major risks involved with pregnancies lasting more than 41 weeks.

Edit:This is the first study to come up with these results.  Maybe there will be more in the future, but at this point I would choose to go with the majority. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagePrimRoseMama:

OP-- I can appreciate wanting to share the findings because some folks may not know, but are you aiming to make folks that need to be induced feel bad? What exactly is the point of posting this? Those that are concerned about the effects can look this information up themselves or ask their doctors to explain it to them. 

I don't think she's doing the bolded. She indicates that there are times when the benefits of induction most definitely outweigh the risks. I think its more of -hey, just because you're sick of being pregnant and want to get induced, think again.

• Options

Few people may be getting strictly elective inductions at this point (although there are still some doctors out there that will induce you at 39 or 40 weeks because you are sick of being pregnant), but many many many women get a bag of pit slapped up when they're progressing "too slow".

Encouraging women to ask the questions "what happens if we wait" is hardly a terrible idea. Encouraging doctors to ask themselves that (as the ACOG is doing with this) is even better. 

• Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

I don't think she's doing the bolded. She indicates that there are times when the benefits of induction most definitely outweigh the risks. I think its more of -hey, just because you're sick of being pregnant and want to get induced, think again.

Thank you, Mabenner. My intention was not to make anyone feel bad. Sharing information as it becomes available is important. I am never for shaming a mother for the choices she makes but we can't let political correctness get in the way of making sure new studies are available. 

I posted it to this board because I believe there are many women who are going to be facing these decisions soon and deserve to have all the information available.  

• Options
    imageMidwestSeashell:
    imagemabenner1:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

Thank you, Mabenner. My intention was not to make anyone feel bad. Sharing information as it becomes available is important. I am never for shaming a mother for the choices she makes but we can't let political correctness get in the way of making sure new studies are available. 

I posted it to this board because I believe there are many women who are going to be facing these decisions soon and deserve to have all the information available.  

That's cool. I just wanted to make sure because sometimes that is what those that smell of troll do. Not saying you are a troll, Seashell. Just that it does happen occasionally.

I like information sharing. Thank you! 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:

Few people may be getting strictly elective inductions at this point (although there are still some doctors out there that will induce you at 39 or 40 weeks because you are sick of being pregnant), but many many many women get a bag of pit slapped up when they're progressing "too slow".

Encouraging women to ask the questions "what happens if we wait" is hardly a terrible idea. Encouraging doctors to ask themselves that (as the ACOG is doing with this) is even better. 

This is a good point. I wonder how many new OBs have even seen a naturally progressing labor. My labor definitely stalled when I had to get in the car, drive to the birth center and get comfortable there. Once I knew I was safe it started back up again full force and baby came quickly. Luckily my midwife was patient and well-versed in the meandering ways of labor but I wonder how things would've been if we would've had someone who rarely saw a naturally progressing birth.

• Options
    Actually, it is not just coming to light for the people who educate themselves on the birth practices in America instead of just "going with the flow".
  • Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

I was going to say the same thing. She's sharing information. The more you know, and all.

When the study was released and this was originally posted it was met with positive responses. It's a legit article to share on this board. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMamasighs:

imageWashingtonQueen:
    Actually, it is not just coming to light for the people who educate themselves on the birth practices in America instead of just "going with the flow".

What is so wrong with "going with the flow", exactly? 

People put too much blind faith in doctors nowadays. Birth practices would not be as atrocious as they are now if more women educated themselves.

• Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    imageMamasighs:

imageWashingtonQueen:

People put too much blind faith in doctors nowadays. Birth practices would not be as atrocious as they are now if more women educated themselves.

Thumbs up. I couldn't agree more.

I am truly shocked at the lack of knowledge some women have about their own bodies and the birth process. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imageMidwestSeashell:
    imagemabenner1:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

Thanks for posting this. I believe that many inductions aren't necessary and we put too much faith in our OBs and the medical system in general. There is no reason to feel ashamed if you've had or will have an induction - but doesn't it help to be a little informed? We have this mentality of 'oh the doc says its ok, so it must be' and then i hear from labor and delivery nurses how many bad choices docs make. Not saying that i am smarter than an OB or that i should disregard what they say, i just think that we should know what is going in our bodies and how it will affect us and our babies. At the end of the day, it is our choice, not theirs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMamasighs:
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    imageMamasighs:

imageWashingtonQueen:

Well I guess I disagree with you that modern birth practices are atrocious.  That seems like quite a strong term.  Now, my grandmothers' birth experiences could be categorized that way.  One had a footling breech vaginal delivery with nothing but ether and was so torn up she had a home nurse for weeks.  She was so traumatized from it she cried for weeks when becoming pregnant by surprise with her second baby.  The other was completely unconscious and her babies were pulled out with forceps.  This was the 30's and 40's.

I do agree that things tend to be overmedicalized when it might not be necessary, but atrocious?  No.

That is a single labor horror story and hardly a reason for anyone to blindly say, "sure, give me pit!"

I refused pit with my son after the doc came in, saw my chart and determined I was progressing slowly.  He argued with me that it would not put me at risk for a c/s and was not harmful to the baby at all....I refused and had to "bargain" with him that we would use pit in an hour if I had not progressed more (And I would have very likely refused after one more hour) needless to say I suddenly progressed and was pushing about 1.5 hours later...I pushed for less than 5 minutes....less than 5 pushes...no pit.  I bet my labor would have been very different had I given into the pit.  

• Options
    imageMamasighs:

Well I guess I disagree with you that modern birth practices are atrocious.  That seems like quite a strong term.  Now, my grandmothers' birth experiences could be categorized that way.  One had a footling breech vaginal delivery with nothing but ether and was so torn up she had a home nurse for weeks.  She was so traumatized from it she cried for weeks when becoming pregnant by surprise with her second baby.  The other was completely unconscious and her babies were pulled out with forceps.  This was the 30's and 40's.

I had a friend who delivered in 2011 who could say the same about her birth experience. She's still firmly considering being one and done because of it.  

Today's medical practices are hardly perfect and despite all of the knowledge out there the US has maternal death rates, especially for being an industrialized nation.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageBelhurstBride:
    imageMamasighs:

I had a friend who delivered in 2011 who could say the same about her birth experience. She's still firmly considering being one and done because of it.  

Today's medical practices are hardly perfect and despite all of the knowledge out there the US has maternal death rates, especially for being an industrialized nation.  

We are far from perfect as a country from a healthcare standpoint. We spend the most on healthcare by far and rank somewhere around 37th in quality globally. Once you work in healthcare you see how little many practitioners really know and once they are comfortable with a drug, procedure or technique they continue using it despite new science or clinical practice guidelines. It's good for us to understand, to read mainstream medical information from peer reviewed sources and to ask questions. Other countries are doing much better than we are in infant mortality as well. The old mantra of treat em and street em in healthcare should not be tolerated. In some cases pitocin is used to move you along to free up the bed to generate revenue.

Bonus: 

• Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    imageMamasighs:

imageWashingtonQueen:

There's a  podcast called "Pregtastic" and their last episode was titled routine Hospital Procedures (I think it's actually a 2 parter).  The guest is an OB in San Diego that I actually had the opportunity to meet and chat with and he's AWESOME.  Definitely very aware of all of the changes happening now and misinformation from several years ago.  He flat out says that when he was in school they were being taught things that aren't true and many doctors are resistant to change their education to match what is now known to be more accurate when it comes to birth.  It is a GREAT listen for any and all moms-to-be who plan to deliver at a hospital.  He's very blunt and honest and explains the real reasons why some doctors do certain things and some of it is really alarming!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    imageMamasighs:
    imagelancomechica:
    imageBelhurstBride:
    imageMamasighs:

We are far from perfect as a country from a healthcare standpoint. We spend the most on healthcare by far and rank somewhere around 37th in quality globally. Once you work in healthcare you see how little many practitioners really know and once they are comfortable with a drug, procedure or technique they continue using it despite new science or clinical practice guidelines. It's good for us to understand, to read mainstream medical information from peer reviewed sources and to ask questions. Other countries are doing much better than we are in infant mortality as well. The old mantra of treat em and street em in healthcare should not be tolerated. In some cases pitocin is used to move you along to free up the bed to generate revenue.

We also have some of the highest rates (maybe the highest?) of metabolic syndrome in the industrialized world. When a woman with preexisting conditions like obesity, Type II diabetes, and HBP gets pregnant that puts her and her baby at a much higher risk for complications that can result in death.   I wonder if the infant mortality rate is due to poor obstetrical practice or to this.

Mama you are absolutely right...infant mortality is likely to tie back to the health of the mother...again pointing back to the overall quality of our healthcare system relying on treatment rather than prevention of illness.

Bonus: 

• Options
    imageMamasighs:
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    imageMamasighs:

imageWashingtonQueen:

I do agree that things tend to be overmedicalized when it might not be necessary, but atrocious?  No.

No, they're atrocious. We have a way higher maternal death rate than we ought to, higher than some third world countries, and I can't believe its due to anything other than our societys obsession with inducing on the perfect date, not birthing "large" babies vaginally, etc.
  • Options
    imageMamasighs:

We also have some of the highest rates (maybe the highest?) of metabolic syndrome in the industrialized world. When a woman with preexisting conditions like obesity, Type II diabetes, and HBP gets pregnant that puts her and her baby at a much higher risk for complications that can result in death.   I wonder if the infant mortality rate is due to poor obstetrical practice or to this.

None of that has anything to do with the doctors choice to ignore how labor natural progresses, putting an unrealistic time frame on going into labor naturally, pushing Pitocin for no reason, advocating epidurals too much, inducing for no real reason, giving C-sections for no real reason, I could go on and on.

• Options

It was almost 24 hours after my water broke and my labor was not progressing on it's own.  I tried everything to get it started naturally and it just wasn't happening.  I cried and cried and kept saying no to pitocin.  I ended up getting pitocin without an epidural and had my baby a few hours later.  Her apgar scores were 8's & 9's and she was very healthy.  Obviously I did not want any interventions but in the end I knew I needed pitocin and it all worked out.   

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageBeachBabe22:

It was almost 24 hours after my water broke and my labor was not progressing on it's own.  I tried everything to get it started naturally and it just wasn't happening.  I cried and cried and kept saying no to pitocin.  I ended up getting pitocin without an epidural and had my baby a few hours later.  Her apgar scores were 8's & 9's and she was very healthy.  Obviously I did not want any interventions but in the end I knew I needed pitocin and it all worked out.   

Beach babe, I'm so glad that you and your little girl were healthy. I would call your situation, based on the extended labor after your waters had broken, a time when the benefits of pit outweighed the risks. I don't think that augmentation is inherently evil, only often misused and overused.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"