Attachment Parenting

Attachment parenting?

Hi, I am not sure I understand what attachment is. What does it mean? What does it entail? Just curious
Doodlebug Mommy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Attachment parenting?

• jk382jk382 member
    I look at attachment parenting as responding to your child's needs as much as possible.  I EBF because it was possible and I knew it was best for my son.  We co-slept until it didn't work for our family any longer.  At 16 months, I still baby wear as much as a busy toddler will allow.  Every child is different, so I think attachment parenting looks a little different in every family.  Just following your child's cues and letting them guide you will be great!  
  • Attachment parenting focuses on treating your children from the very start as an equal member of the family: being mindful and respectful if their needs. This means being very attentive to your baby, who can do nothing for him/herself and relies entirely upon you. Meeting their needs promptly, gently, and lovingly is key.

AP also in loved getting to know your children as individuals. The better you know your babies, the more effectively you can know and meet their needs.

AP parents keep their babies close. They value connectedness and affection, they often cosleep and babywear. They also try to minimize separation from their babies in the early years. Many AP moms breastfeed if they're able to. As their babies grow into toddlers and beyond, AP parents frequently choose methods of discipline that are gentle and instructive. They try not to punish or shame their children, but to help them learn and grow from their experiences.

Hope this helps! There's a lot to it! It can all be summed up in respect for our children as equal members of our families.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Attachment parenting is for people who shouldn't be having kids because they can't even control their own lives or hold steady employment.
  • OP, we are finding it difficult to practice attachment parenting. We cannot wean our four year old and she continuously rips my wife's top off in public places and proceeds to nurse. If we try to stop her she screams and babbles (she can't talk yet either). I would say read up on it before beginning your attachment parenting journey. It's great to be natural but it is a lot of work. We barely have enough time to water our arugula plants and purchase our tripleshot venti Starbucks skim milk lattes in the morning.
  • imageFreshCup100:
    OP, we are finding it difficult to practice attachment parenting. We cannot wean our four year old and she continuously rips my wife's top off in public places and proceeds to nurse. If we try to stop her she screams and babbles (she can't talk yet either). I would say read up on it before beginning your attachment parenting journey. It's great to be natural but it is a lot of work. We barely have enough time to water our arugula plants and purchase our tripleshot venti Starbucks skim milk lattes in the morning.

These AE's need to stop! 

Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • imageRealdad1969:
    Attachment parenting is for people who shouldn't be having kids because they can't even control their own lives or hold steady employment.

that seems kind of rude.... 

• imagedoodlebuggmommy:

imageRealdad1969:
    Attachment parenting is for people who shouldn't be having kids because they can't even control their own lives or hold steady employment.

that seems kind of rude.... 

Uh...yea...right!  We do a great job with our college degree/masters degree and our teaching career! We are highly educated and have had the same job for almost 8-9 years! We also do a great job controlling our lives! Own our home, cars and everything in it. 

We can raise our child however we see fit and let me just go on and say...our child will be much better off that yours. He will know his manners and not be so judgemental and rude to others.

We still have plenty of time for ourselves too!  We both still work-out and do things w/o our child...let me just say I had a very nice time at a wine festival this weekend!  So back off!

OP: You can follow a lot of things you find on here and online to be an AP.  If it isn't for you...no big deal.  As long as you are caring for your child and doing your very best...that is all that matters.  AP isn't a one size fits all...I do a lot of AP things, but not everything. :)

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Lots of MUD, but if OP question is for real, AP is different for everyone, but the general idea is to respond to your child's needs as they happen.  If a baby is hungry, feed them (whether it be EBF, pumped milk or for those who can't nurse, formula).  If baby is not tired, don't let them cry it out or try to force them to a sleep schedule.  If baby wants to be held, hold them, wear them or co-sleep safely because most babies feel more secure and sleep better when near parents.  Also, parents who want and try to do things most naturally in parenting like natural childbirth, baby led weaning and feeding, cloth diapering etc.  Personally I tried natural childbirth and EBF with my first and it didn't work out, but I wore him and fed him pumped milk with formula supplements, we still co-sleep/family sleep and he is 6 years old.  My younger two were born without meds due to speedy labors, nursed well the first few months, fall asleep within minutes of being put in their carriers, but prefer to sleep in their own beds.  My middle refuses a sleep pattern, he fights naps, doesn't want to go to bed when the rest of us do and sleeps when he wants.  The baby takes naps like clockwork and STTN almost every night.  We didn't like to cloth diaper until they are on solids due to infant poops being pretty explosive, so we are quasi-cloth diapers.  So... every person and every child is different.  I feel we are mostly AP, but we tweak it to fit our family's needs and what each of our children feel most comfortable with.  GL
  • Yes my OP was for real, I was just wondering what kind of stuff is considered attachment parenting because the people that I know that do the breast feeding I can't talk to because they are so set in their opinions that they make me feel bad because I don't parent like them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"