January 2014 Moms
Options

Why do some ladies get u/s earlier than others?

This is my third pregnancy 2nd one resulted in a loss at 18 weeks and I've never been able to schedule an u/s earlier than 10 weeks. I'm reading some of you ladies are getting ultrasounds as early as 5 or 6 weeks! I'm so jealous! Is this something I can push w/ my doctor's office? My insurance does cover u/s necessary or unnecessary so I don't understand why I have to wait so long to get an u/s. :/. It's actually really making me upset :

Re: Why do some ladies get u/s earlier than others?

• Options
    I getting an early one because I had to see a RE to get pregnant. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehannahyejee:
    This is my third pregnancy 2nd one resulted in a loss at 18 weeks and I've never been able to schedule an u/s earlier than 10 weeks. I'm reading some of you ladies are getting ultrasounds as early as 5 or 6 weeks! I'm so jealous! Is this something I can push w/ my doctor's office? My insurance does cover u/s necessary or unnecessary so I don't understand why I have to wait so long to get an u/s. :/. It's actually really making me upset :

push for earlier... They can only tell you yes or no 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    spin25spin25 member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't blame you for wanting an earlier u/s given your history. It can't hurt for you to call your OB again and explain that an early u/s might ease your mind.

I had an u/s at 6 weeks (+4 days) b/c of infertility treatments. Actually, my OB's office won't let me schedule my first appointment with them until my RE releases me, and I see him for a follow-up at 9 weeks 4 days.

imageimage

• Options
    kilbskilbs member
    All doctor office's are different.  I had my u/s b/c I couldn't remember when my last period was and thought I was further along.  If you're uncomfortable waiting, speak up.  They may do one.
    Avashark Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Is it possible for you to switch doctor's?  Maybe you can find one that is willing to do it earlier.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had a viability u/s with my son at 7wks because of a previous m/c.  I'm having one next week (8ish?) because I got pregnant my first cycle without IUD and my last period was Aug 2010.  So, it's for dating purposes, but MW said she would have sent me for one regardless since I've had a previous loss.

I'd ask you OB.  They should be obliging since you've had a loss (and thus, in my opinion, have a reason other than just wanting one for the sake of it).  If they're not willing to bend I'd ask why and if that answer doesn't satisfy you I'd consider looking for another practice.   IMO, if they're not willing to work with you on something like that this early in your pregnancy I wouldn't have a lot of faith in them working with you on other issues (waiting past 40wks to induce, etc) later on.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options

It depends on the office and individual circumstances as well. 

My office policy is that u/s at initial appointments are not standard.  However, the NP wanted me to have one because my cycles vary from 26-36 days and I had pain where I previously had an ovarian cyst and brown spotting. 

Really early u/s can be more anxiety provoking than just waiting.  Often you will only see a sac and/or fetal pole at 5 weeks and even at 6 weeks you may not see a hb.

• Options

My office does schedule a "dating" u/s with each pregnancy just to confirm the basics-timeframe, and check for multiples (since they refer elsewhere for multiples). Depending on how busy they are I've had them anywhere from 6.5-10weeks but they prefer 8-9 because there's usually little to see before that.

i agree... Just ask! And mention any/all concerns you have as reasons why you would like one. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If it's covered you should probably ask. I get mine because of my history of recurrent early loss.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options

I currently work in a centralized scheduling call center for a major health system, and have had various patient access jobs, so I have a couple of thoughts to share: 

if you scheduled with a largish health system, I.e. this is a network of various offices and hospitals under one operating group name, you could have scheduled with a call center rep who doesn't know about your history so didn't schedule you sooner.

if you did TELL them about your history, and they still scheduled you for 10weeks, they may have, again, been a rep outside who doesn't even work for your doctor and who wasn't doing their job properly. Likewise, an office receptionist or front desk person actually in your doc's office could be inept.

call your doc back, ask to speak to the NURSE. She will probably have to return your message. If SHE says, despite your history, you need to wait 10 weeks, find another OB because those are some pretty whacked policies.

On another note, you could call and say you are having pain or bleeding and they'll probably get you in soon. Who is to say it doesn't clear up by the time of your appointment? But you will have you u/s then. GL! 

image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!
  • Options
    I just had my 3rd ultrasound today. I've had two early losses in the past year so I think that's why. I never had to ask. I actually refused one once with this pregnancy because they would give me anxiety from associating them with my miscarriages.

Definitely ask. If they say no, try a new doctor?
  • Options
    I had an early u/s due to a previous loss.  I went in at 6 weeks and I wish I hadn't.  We saw an empty sac and now we are in limbo. We either have a blighted ovum or we can't see anything due to it being too early. I would have had less stress if they would have scheduled it at 7 or 8 weeks.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was suppose to have my first u/s at 12 weeks but my high blood pressure was causing me to be anxious about the baby so I asked my doctor to get me one early. She got me in for one the same day I asked. Def worth inquiring about.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is my first pregnancy and I just had my first ultrasound today at 6 weeks 2 days.  I am scheduled for another one at 8 weeks, then 12, then I believe 20.  I didn't do anything to push this, it's just what my doctor told me.

Having ultrasounds so often will keep my mind at ease knowing how everything is developing.  
  • Options
    All you have to do is tell them you can't remember when your last period was and they will give you one at my dr office just to try and figure out how far along you are.
  • Options

I get early ultrasounds because I have PCOS and my cycles are not timetable.

It's basically the only (and I do mean only) good thing about having PCOS.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Options
    HullGutHullGut member

I had a full term loss, there was nothing wrong with my baby. This time my doctor wanted to do an ultra sound early just to ease my anxiety. She wanted to do 6 weeks but I wanted to wait until 7 weeks. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial ticker
    Due with baby boy # 2 in May 2016
    DD #1 born January 2014

• Options

Due to my loss history I get them. This pregnancy is actually the longest I've waited (mine will be at 8 weeks), but it was my choosing.

Even without a history, they do a dating ultrasound for everyone to confirm a due date and viability. But, that isn't standard with all practices.

January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Options
    imageHullGut:

I had a full term loss, there was nothing wrong with my baby. This time my doctor wanted to do an ultra sound early just to ease my anxiety. She wanted to do 6 weeks but I wanted to wait until 7 weeks. 

I'm so sorry for your immense loss.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Options
    My OB doesn't do them in the office, so I have one scheduled for the end of next week.  They're sending me because of my age/risk, because we both have multiples in our generation, and for dating.  I have a weird family history very late BFPs. I'm a little worried that it's too early and will only freak me out.  *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    imageHullGut:
    I had a full term loss, there was nothing wrong with my baby. This time my doctor wanted to do an ultra sound early just to ease my anxiety. She wanted to do 6 weeks but I wanted to wait until 7 weeks.nbsp;

I'm really sorry for your loss, and glad that your doctor is doing her best to keep your mind at ease. I'm with a new group now due to insurance change, and apparently I'm not high risk right now because I didn't have early loss and since the baby grew till 18 week mark, they want to "watch and see" before transferring me to high risk. It is very frustrating that they seem nonchalant about my concerns. I don't want to change to a different practice because the doctors are great. I think I will call back on Monday and see if I can get the u/s a week before at 9 wk 1 day.
  • Options
    I had an early one because I have a tilted uterus and they couldn't "feel" if it was growing to tell how far along I was.

married 3/3/12----- Alanson Kavi born 1/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"