Cloth Diapering
Options

Agh! The stink!!

I have no idea what to do about my fitted stink issue. And I can't tell if it is barnyard or stale pee, they just plain 'ol stink after being on all night.  I know that ON is a long time for pee stink to build up, but it is to the point where you don't even have to be close to DS's butt to smell it. 

My wash routine is warm rinse -- hot wash + detergent -- cold rinse -- extra rinse. I also rinse out the fitted in the morning after I take it off before placing it in the wetbag. I wash diapers every two days. I use Calgon and Rockin' Green Hard Rock because we have hard water. I have used RLR. I have tried using Blue Dawn. 

Seriously...WTH. Are these just naturally stinky diapers after so many uses?  Or am I doing something wrong? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Agh! The stink!!

• Options
    Mk suggests a morning soak for natural fitted overnight.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBemyselfandi:
    Mk suggests a morning soak for natural fitted overnight.

I will have to try that for sure. I can't remember where I read that is was recommended to rinse out any diaper worn for 3+ hours. I guess soaking would be the next step up from that.

Does it matter the water temp? Should I add detergent or anything? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

How long have you been using this diaper? I just went through everything you described with my BG 4.0s. The diapers just plain stunk. I tried rocking green and blue dawn. I also used bacout and switched from country save to tide. Nothing got rid of the smell entirely.

After 3 months (the issue started mid February), I caved and added 1/4 cup of bleach to my wash cycle and then rinsed several times. Guess what? My diapers smell clean again! I didn't realize how bad it was until changing diapers post the bleach strip. I cannot smell anything even when diapers are dirty. It's wonderful. After wanting to quit CDs (though I never would because I'm too stubborn), I'm in love with them again.

I like all of the suggestions to rinse morning diapers, but you need to get rid of the buildup first. Honestly, since you've already tried everything I did, I recommend a bleach strip and then morning rinsing from here on out. Good luck!

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    keziaskezias member
    imagebookworm982:

How long have you been using this diaper? I just went through everything you described with my BG 4.0s. The diapers just plain stunk. I tried rocking green and blue dawn. I also used bacout and switched from country save to tide. Nothing got rid of the smell entirely.

After 3 months (the issue started mid February), I caved and added 1/4 cup of bleach to my wash cycle and then rinsed several times. Guess what? My diapers smell clean again! I didn't realize how bad it was until changing diapers post the bleach strip. I cannot smell anything even when diapers are dirty. It's wonderful. After wanting to quit CDs (though I never would because I'm too stubborn), I'm in love with them again.

I like all of the suggestions to rinse morning diapers, but you need to get rid of the buildup first. Honestly, since you've already tried everything I did, I recommend a bleach strip and then morning rinsing from here on out. Good luck!

i use bleach about every 3 months. Doing a bleach wash tonight actually.  It works. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Try baking soda!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I'm having the same thing with our overnight fitteds - I thought the stink was normal actually until I used flats for the challenge and they didn't stink at all in the am. 

So- is any amount of smell okay considering its 12 hours worth of pee? Or should there not be any smell at all? Also - how much bleach to add to the wash? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebookworm982:

I have been using it for a couple of months I would say, maybe 5?  

I will have to try bleach then. Are you using color safe bleach? At this point with the smell I could care less about ruining the color of the diaper.

Do you wash diapers clean and THEN do a bleach strip? Or when do you add in bleach cycle?

Thank you all for your help, by the way!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"