September 2013 Moms
Options

Names

It REALY annoys me that people have to have a opinion in a name you pick. They always say don't name your child that or why? What does it matter to you?! It's MY child not yours! A family friend just tried making me change my Mind in the name we chose, I simply told her I don't care what you think I'm carrying this baby so I will name him whatever. Then my sister comes off with a comment ill call him something else. Well if that's the case you won't ever see my kid. End of story. People really piss me off and this pregnancy I am not afraid to put my foot down. Stupid people!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Names

• Options
    It is completely obnoxious and uncalled for, I agree. That's why we're keeping our name secret until she's born. I just don't want to hear it. Our kid, our choice. Either they had their chance with their own kids already, or they can name a pet if they care so much about naming something. And calling it their own name is annoying too. My sister keeps calling my baby Gertrude since I won't tell her the name.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • Options
    I'm sorry people are giving you a hard time. :( I say name him whatever you and want and ignore everyone else...that's what I'm doing!
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am sorry.  I am in the same boat as you.  I ripped my MIL a new one after she ranted for 10 minutes on how stupid our son's name was.  I don't care what she, or anyone else thinks about our son's name.  Besides her and my dad (who for once in his life isn't super opinionated on it he just thinks our son's name is unusual) everyone else has given a very positive response.  It is nice to hear people like your baby's name and I try to focus on that than stupid people who think they have a say in my child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    EstepsEsteps member
    That's why we don't share until after baby is born. We got unwanted feedback after our first, and his name is Patrick. People have an opinion on everything!! After that we decided we won't share. No one complains about a name when they're looking at the beautiful baby attached to it. Bonus is it drives people crazy when you don't share, and that's always fun!
  • Options
    I tried keeping the name a secret and just told my mom, well she apparently has a big mouth and keeps telling everyone. Just drives me nuts!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That's why we've chosen not to tell people what we're naming our kid. Everyone will find out once he or she is born.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Options
    That's why we aren't telling our names either. Heard too many bad stories from friends for this FTM!
  • Options
    I told my dad the name we are pretty set on and he said it sounds like a boys name.. But in all reality who cares what others opinions are.. Just laugh it off.. You're the one letting it get to you if you sit there and get upset rather then just shrugging it off and so what big deal if a couple people don't like it. As long as you and your partner love it that's really all that matters because your family will learn to love the name that was chosen for their nephew or niece or grandchild. Hope it doesn't influence your decision.
  • Options
    I don't give two sh!ts what anyone thinks about our baby name, we're the ones raising him so we get to decide. That's why I never understand people who choose a name but keep it secret, because if you're satisfied with the name you've chosen, other people's opinions just shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    imageanastasiacarmen:
    That's why we have only told our parents the baby's name so far. We made it clear to that if we told them we didn't want to hear their opinions and they weren't to tell anyone. They agreed so we told them. However, for everyone else we are still waiting and may even wait until the birth.

We don't expect birth to stop them from giving opinions though. When my son was 10 months he met his great grandma for the first time and she made no secret if the face that she hates our son's middle name. She went on and on about how it was a bad name and we should have given him a good family name.

So annoying.

Not to hijack the post, but this is true. Waiting until after birth won't necessarily stop unwanted opinions. My cousin recently had a little boy she named Finnegan Graham. My grandmother, who is sweet, conservative, and never says anything rude or unexpected, sent her a letter explaining that she was concerned about the poor kid getting teased by other kids as he gets older, and is she absolutely sure that should be his name? I think Grandma's intentions really were good, and her heart in the right place, but it just goes to show that everyone will have an opinion, and waiting until after birth won't necessarily stop comments.
  • Options
    That sucks! :(  We've been very lucky in that, despite picking a very unusual name, everyone seems to love it!
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    My DH's grandmother calls SIL Amanda when everyone else in the world calls her Mandy. Apparently she felt very strongly about it. I'm not sharing names until we are set. My dad once said he hated a name out of the blue and now I know that I can't bring myself to use it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"