November 2013 Moms

gender reveal?

I'm going back and forth on whether or not to Have a reveal party. It would only be family and close friends. But my mil made fun of me when I mentioned it. So now I feel weird about doing it. She thinks the idea is ridiculous. We didn't tell anyone the sex of ds and this time around my mil keeps hounding me about how she HAS to know what it is this time around So she can buy stuff. We want to do it in a fun way if we tell people otherwise I'd rather keep it between dh & I. How do you ladies feel about it? I'm not looking to get gifts for this I just wanna tell everyone together. I want us all to have the surprise.  Maybe it's silly. Idk

Re: gender reveal?

• I think they are silly also. However it's your baby and if you really want to do it go for,it. Don't worry about what other will think
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • CaitS07CaitS07 member
    I'm personally not a fan. DH and I plan on just having family dinner and telling them without ever mentioning anything about a "reveal" beforehand. This is just me - but I feel like there are way too many parties for babies (and weddings for that matter) - reveals, showers, meet the baby..it's all too much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • dnt27dnt27 member
    IMO I think they are ridiculous. It's just as easy to send someone a text or email if its really that important for them to know. My sister got a cake for my mom that had white frosting and blue cake to surprise her with the sex of her first. I think that's a great idea, but "gender reveal" parties are tacky IMO.
    Teagan Grace born 12.07.13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

January siggy challenge
  • I think they are cute, but I have never been to one or invited to one, I have only heard of them on the bump.

Since they aren't done in my circle, if I choose to do something, I would just do something simple. I wouldn't have a whole party to reveal the sex, but if you happened to have family/friends over do something cute, like the cake reveal. If you want to do something, then do it and just don't listen to your MIL.

I also find it odd when people find out the sex and don't tell others. I would either just tell people or not find out myself, but there are many that disagree with me on this one, so just do what makes you feel comfortable.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We are having a gender reveal party with family and close friends. We aimed for small but considering my husbands family alone is about 65 there won't be anything small about it. We are having a cook out and right before we have dessert our photographer is going to hand us white bottles filled with either blue or pink paint and hubby and I will go out in the field and have a paint fight... It's not until the 30th though. I am soo excited
    imageimage
  • Zilly13Zilly13 member
    Personally I'm not into gender reveal parties.  People are just as excited if you tell them over the phone as they are if you walked into a room with colored balloons and what not.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• QstonQston member
    I agree they are silly, and feel a bit attentionwhorish to me. I get wanting to share the exciting news, but don't think there needs to be a special party just for the occasion, let alone a special set of desserts, balloons, etc. so I get where your MIL is coming from. Invite friends over for dinner, share your news, but don't make it all about the sex of the baby because as much as we preggos don't want to admit it, not everyone cares as much about this lil one as we do.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I can't stand them but that's my personal opinion.  It's your kid, you can do what you want Smile

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• I say have it, who cares what MIL thinks........she doesnt have to come if she thinks it so silly! 

I personally think they can be fun if done in a small group.  I am planning on having one, but just with MH parents and my parents.  I like the idea that we are all going to find out at the same time.  We are just going to have them over for dinner and do the cake thing.  nice and simple!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Bean arrived on Nov 2013...all 10lbs 9oz of him! 

Little Happy joined the family Jan 2016

Baby #3 due in Sept

• DSMLoveDSMLove member
    I'd actually side with your MIL on this one. You don't need to throw a party to announce the sex of your baby. Just tell people!
    BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the idea of a party planned to specifically reveal baby's sex is silly for sure.  However, if you do want to announce it in a family/friends setting I would suggest just having a bbq or a get together.  If it's a big "party" with invites in the mail and all then I think people will feel like they should bring gifts. Just my opinion. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • I think it's ridiculous. You are already going to have a baby shower,how many parties do you need for your pregnancy?

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Do what YOU want. It's your baby not your mils! Set boundaries!
  • DH and I are planning on doing one with our parents, siblings, and maybe my aunt (who is like a second mom to me) and her family while they're in town.  They live in Florida, we live in Missouri.  My aunt is not going to be able to come for the shower, or for the birth, etc.  So I wanted to do something special to include her since we're really close.  But it won't be anything big.  Honestly, it will probably be at a family BBQ that is already planned.  We'll just show up with the cake, and not tell anyone beforehand that we're doing it.

But I'm only planning on doing it for the first child (first grandbaby on both sides).  The subsequent children, I'll just tell people as I talk to them.  That is, if we even find out.  With the subsequent children, we might be team green. 

I agree with previous poster who said, if you're going to find out, tell people.  I think it's kind of strange when people find out and don't tell.  If you don't want to tell people, then be team green.  But ultimately, the decision is yours.

~Elizabeth ~

Angel Baby # 1 : EDD 9/11/12,  Missed m/c at just over 13 weeks

Angel Baby # 2 : EDD 9/9/13, m/c at 6 weeks

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • LuCloLuClo member

I'm in the anti-reveal party camp.  They just seem foolish; I would be annoyed to be invited to one.  If you want to tell me, tell me; if you don't, don't.  End of story.  It's just a weird concept.  Like are people going to start having parties when they get a positive pee test?  Or for a good NT scan?  Where does it end?

If you want to have a big cookout so that you can tell your whole family at once, that's fine.   But I also realize that they just aren't the norm in my area and that's just my opinion.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally would never do one and would never want to be at one.  

Worst one I ever heard about was that the couple got 100 balloons and filled each one with white confetti, except for one that had either blue or pink confetti.  So they popped them to find out. And wouldn't you know, it was the 100th balloon that had the blue or pink.  Can you imagine having to listen/watch 100 balloons get popped? And having to listen to people's reactions after each one was popped?!  oye.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo calforsiggy_zps05750af4.png
  • I thought about doing one, but then decided no.

All you are doing is is cutting into a cake or releasing balloons to celebrate what is between your kids legs.

It's basically a vagina party or a penis party. Not cool. What would the favors be? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's beyond silly and if I was ever invited to one I wouldn't go.  It just makes no sense.  Why not just tell people if you are going to tell them?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OMG, I would die if I had to sit through 100 balloons being popped.  And I want to know, who cleaned up the mess afterwards?
    ~Elizabeth ~

Angel Baby # 1 : EDD 9/11/12,  Missed m/c at just over 13 weeks

Angel Baby # 2 : EDD 9/9/13, m/c at 6 weeks

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think they are GREAT. We had our 20 week ultrasound - had the gender hidden from us and took the results to the baker. We found out with our family what the sex of our baby was going to be. I would much rather celebrate with my family then find out in some dark room by some tech I dont know - or during the rush of having it told to me in the delivery room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My idea of it was just a dinner with in laws my rents and siblings and my best friend cuz she'd kill me if I didn't invite her.  And just find out together. Not a grand ol party.  I would feel awkward about that. Thanks for the responses tho ladies. I'll talk it over with dh
  • We did one two weeks ago and it was tons of fun. We got the ultrasound In the morning but didn't have the tech tell us. Our parents, siblings, and best friends came over and we fed everyone waffles, fruit salad, lots of bacon, mimosas.. After dinner we went outside and the tech gave us either pink or blue silly string.. It was pink! It was SO much fun. Then we went inside and watched the DVD of the ultrasound. There were no gifts and we spent plenty on food for everyone.. Did all the work ourselves. Everyone said they had fun and so did we!!!
  • I am thinking of having one, but with friends not family. DH & I have a lot of friends that are "fighting" over whether we're having a girl or boy and our friends love a party (for any reason). So, I thought it'd be fun to have a BBQ/Reveal Party. Our friends like games, so we'd probably set up a poll of some sort and DH has been driving me crazy for a pinata, so I would fill the pinata with either pink or blue candy and let him smash it to bits!

And if someone didn't like the idea of a "reveal party" or thought I was being an "attentionwhore" then they don't have to come and no free food and fun for them. Thankfully my friends love things like this. So yay me!

BLAD reppin'

• imagednt27:
    IMO I think they are ridiculous. It's just as easy to send someone a text or email if its really that important for them to know. My sister got a cake for my mom that had white frosting and blue cake to surprise her with the sex of her first. I think that's a great idea, but "gender reveal" parties are tacky IMO.

An email or text? That's not personal at all.. Would seem like you just dont have time to personally tell anyone?
    With DS we had family over and grilled outside for everyone. Then broughy outballoons that were black and filled with confetti. Everyone popped theirs at the same time. So it wasnt a huge deal but it was nice to spend time with the family and easy to tell everyone at once! Dont worry who thinks they are silly ot ridiculous they are fun and personable!
  • I'm doing one! I love it!! It's exciting and remember to take alot of pictures!!! :D
  • I am doing one on the 22nd! Don't let anyone bring you down about it! It is something fun and different to do. Everyone has their own opinion on it and if anyone I invite doesn't want to come, then so be it. Enjoy the reveal! I know it will be another memory you will never forget!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"