Stay at Home Moms
Options

Yogurt experts, come in

Okay, I finally, after 2 years of trying, finally found a Greek yogurt I can tolerate. Almost enjoy, dare I say. Tell me if this still sounds healthy. It's chobani bite, coffee flavor with dark chocolate chips.

Nutritional info: 100 cals, 1 g of fat, saturated. 13 carbs, 12 g of sugar, 8 g of protein. But it's not full size, just 3.5 oz.

The sweeteners are evaporated cane juice, pectin, and carmelized sugar syrup.

Part of a healthy breakfast? Today I had it with a piece of turkey bacon, hard boiled egg, and half serving of almonds. Yay? Nay?

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
Due 12/29/2012

Re: Yogurt experts, come in

• Options
    imageNandaB:
    I don't know as I'm far from a yogurt Nazi although even i mash my own potatoesI just have to ask who can only eat one piece of bacon and half a serving of almonds? Isn't that like 4 almonds?

It's turkey bacon. Not terribly hard to resist. :] And 14 almonds in half a serving.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    I'm not sure about chobani being really healthy. Low fat stuff usually has a lot of artificial junk. I'm also pointing this out not to be rude but the way you used Nazi is in really poor taste.  You might consider changing the title to avoid really offending someone and getting flamed. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLatteLady5:
    I'm not sure about chobani being really healthy. Low fat stuff usually has a lot of artificial junk. I'm also pointing this out not to be rude but the way you used Nazi is in really poor taste. nbsp;You might consider changing the title to avoid really offending someone and getting flamed.nbsp;

Really? People use it all the time on the nest. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

It didn't have any ingredients that I couldn't pronounce, so it doesn't seem to be that artificial. I'm no expert though.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    imageLatteLady5:
    I'm not sure about chobani being really healthy. Low fat stuff usually has a lot of artificial junk. I'm also pointing this out not to be rude but the way you used Nazi is in really poor taste. nbsp;You might consider changing the title to avoid really offending someone and getting flamed.nbsp;

Yes to both of these.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why do you make yourself eat Greek yogurt if you don't like it? Just curious.

I dunno, that Chobani stuff is nasty. No fat means it's chalky and full of weird stuff.

What about the fullfat Fage stuff? Some of those come w honey or fruit jam on the side.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Love the Fage with honey. I much rather eat less of something full fat, than fat free or low fat stuff with fake junk in it. 
  • Options
    One handed typing, so not bothering to quote.

Re: special diet. I kinda am because I have pcos, which is basically a precursor to diabetes. Just about everyone on my mom's side has diabetes. However, the rest of my day is super low sugar.

Re: making myself eat it. I've heard yogurt helps with belly fat, which is my problem area.

Re: trying fage full fat. Have. Yuck. This stuff wasn't chalky at all. The coffee was a nice addition.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options

Are there healthier options?  Sure.  Is this is the worst choice?  No.  I'm sure you realize it's all about balance.  I feel like if you think this is a good fit for your overall diet then it's fine.

Side note: interesting about the caramelized sugar syrup.  I haven't seen that before.  I wonder if it contributes flavor since it's coffee flavored?  

Also, to PP who was asking why eat greek yogurt if you don't like it, I'm *guessing* because it's higher protein, which will keep you feeling fuller longer.  I know people who tolerate greek yogurt for that reason.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imageHollylb3:
    Re: trying fage full fat. Have. Yuck. This stuff wasn't chalky at all. The coffee was a nice addition.

*Gasp*

But Fage is like magical stuff.  It's SO delicious.  

I can't have this conversation with someone so irrational.  

:P 

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imageHollylb3:
    One handed typing, so not bothering to quote. Re: special diet. I kinda am because I have pcos, which is basically a precursor to diabetes. Just about everyone on my mom's side has diabetes. However, the rest of my day is super low sugar. Re: making myself eat it. I've heard yogurt helps with belly fat, which is my problem area. Re: trying fage full fat. Have. Yuck. This stuff wasn't chalky at all. The coffee was a nice addition.

Gotcha. Does greek yogurt have a ton more protein than regular yogurt? I'm very gung-ho about full-fat dairy, so that's where I'm coming from. I would still think that non-sweetened yogurt (reg or greek) sweetened with honey or even low-sugar jam (Smucker's and Trader Joe's both have decent versions) would be a good option, too.

And I gotta do a plug here for Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat" - it's a really eye-opening book about how carbs are actually contributing to American's poor health.

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    imagesbevmc09:

imageHollylb3:

*Gasp*

But Fage is like magical stuff.  It's SO delicious.  

I can't have this conversation with someone so irrational.  

:P 

I seriously have no idea how everyone raves about that stuff.

I'd never seen that sweetener either.

I usually prefer full fat too, but this flavor doesn't come in full fat.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    imagenosoup4u:

imageHollylb3:
    One handed typing, so not bothering to quote.

Re: special diet. I kinda am because I have pcos, which is basically a precursor to diabetes. Just about everyone on my mom's side has diabetes. However, the rest of my day is super low sugar.

Re: making myself eat it. I've heard yogurt helps with belly fat, which is my problem area.

Gotcha. Does greek yogurt have a ton more protein than regular yogurt? I'm very gung-ho about full-fat dairy, so that's where I'm coming from. I would still think that non-sweetened yogurt (reg or greek) sweetened with honey or even low-sugar jam (Smucker's and Trader Joe's both have decent versions) would be a good option, too.

And I gotta do a plug here for Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat" - it's a really eye-opening book about how carbs are actually contributing to American's poor health.

Nope, regular doesn't have close to the same amount of protein unfortunately.

I've heard great things about that book. I just got done reading Wheat Belly, and a lot of reviewers recommended that book as well. I'll check it out.

Day 5 of being wheat free today, and down 3.5 lbs. :]

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options

imageHollylb3:

Woot!  

I totally know that if I cut out wheat I would benefit, but... but I just love it so much.  I have a question, if you cut out wheat do you ever plan to return to eating it?  I only ask because I have a friend who cut it out and now can't eat it or it makes her sick.  Really, it was probably affecting her all along, but she didn't realize it until she eliminated it, if that makes sense.  But it scares me to set myself up for that.  Bread.  It's just so tasty!  Any thoughts? 

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    imageHollylb3:
    imagenosoup4u:

imageHollylb3:

Nope, regular doesn't have close to the same amount of protein unfortunately. I've heard great things about that book. I just got done reading Wheat Belly, and a lot of reviewers recommended that book as well. I'll check it out. Day 5 of being wheat free today, and down 3.5 lbs. :]

Holly, that's awesome about the weight loss! My sister and BIL have been low-carb for 2+ years and had amazing results. You end up eating less overall bc fat and protein fill you up so much more than carbs do. 

sbevmc09, from my unscientific survey of one (myself), I can tell if I overindulge in carbs since going casually low-carb. Not that I don't eat bread, but I do feel yuckier if I eat a ton of bread/pasta. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    imagesbevmc09:

imageHollylb3:

Woot!  

I totally know that if I cut out wheat I would benefit, but... but I just love it so much.  I have a question, if you cut out wheat do you ever plan to return to eating it?  I only ask because I have a friend who cut it out and now can't eat it or it makes her sick.  Really, it was probably affecting her all along, but she didn't realize it until she eliminated it, if that makes sense.  But it scares me to set myself up for that.  Bread.  It's just so tasty!  Any thoughts? 

Oh, I have lots of thoughts on this subject right now, lol. The book was super eye opening. I am an absolute, 100 percent, carb addict. Everyone in my family has diabetes. I come from a long line of addicts. Bread, cereal, sweets, pasta; oh, the pasta. Yum.

However, after reading the book, which is written by a cardiologist, so he knows his stuff, he points out how modified and modernized wheat has become. It's not our grandmother's wheat. It's affecting our health in ways we don't even realize. And it's in so much food that we don't ever realize. Read the reviews and description on amazon. It'll tell you more.

That being said, I'm doing a 30 day experiment just to see. Obviously it's going to help me lose weight. But I also have other issues he mentioned that it can help with: a bit of rosacea, inflammation due to my moderate scoliosis, a patch of psoriasis on my forehead that developed post partum, etc.

I do think I could do this about 90 percent of the time if it really keeps the weight off, which is my number one goal. It truly hasn't been that difficult. Most restaurants have gluten free menus, and those items will also be wheat free just have to avoid GF pastas and things, because they're made with things that increase your blood sugar even more.

Also, my cravings are gone. I can still look longingly at a piece of pie or giant plate of pasta, but really don't have the desire to "cheat". I had a bite of ice cream yesterday, and it didn't even taste good.

That was probably way more than you ever wanted to know. Putting down the mic. :]

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    Maybe I wasn't done, lol. He also said that when people go off it and then have some again, it's almost guaranteed they'll have that reaction. Doesn't that tell you something?

When I used to eat healthy and then would have a cheat day, the same thing happened to me, and I wasn't even wheat free then. So I can only imagine that would be magnified.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options

Totally makes sense, Holly.  I've been wanting to read Wheat Belly.  I actually had it from the library and then had to return it before I got a chance to read it!  I know the basic message of the author though and definitely believe it!  

And yes, that's me too Nosoup.  I limit my grain/carb intake now.  We don't eat a lot of pasta, but if I eat a bunch of pasta or binge on some bread it leaves me feeling so yucky now.  I get really bloated and I know that it's the food.  

I did a "cleanse" of sorts quite a while back now, it was before I was pregnant with #2.  I guess it was kind of like Whole30, but I didn't follow a plan.  Just nothing processed, whole foods, no grains, not even any real foods that were extremely carb heavy and I felt great for that time.  It was like 6 weeks, I think?  I didn't even realize what an impact it had until I added things back in and as soon as I had grains again I got the bloated, icky, sluggish feeling.  And of course I started craving carbs and sugar all over again.  It's a viscous cycle.

But... it's so good.  WHY do they have to be so tasty?! 

At the same time, my metabolism suuuuuuucks and I really, really think if I ditched wheat/grains/gluten/whathaveyou that it would be the answer.  Well, that and exercise, but really... the grains.  I know that would have a big impact, I just have to do it, I guess. :/ 

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    Getting the motivation to do it is the hardest part. The past several years I've gone between giving 100 percent, then to just giving up and admitting I'm going to be chubby forever. Even though I have yummier food when I'm in the second stage, I feel so much better when I'm giving it my all. It is time and energy consuming though. It's a tradeoff. I figure at the end of my life, I probably won't regret all the food I didn't eat, but I will regret spending so many years being down on myself and treating my body like crap.

Also, I think it's easier if you do the wheat elimination 100 percent at least to start if you're going to do it. He said wheat has added chemicals that actually make you crave it more, the equivalent of nicotine in cigarettes.

Just think of the good example you're setting for the kiddos. :]

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    I agree, full fat tastes way yummier. Greek yogurt probably has quadruple the protein, like 18 grams in 6 oz I think. Do you have a trader joes? They have full fat with honey that's good.

No TJ's, sadly. I've tried fage with honey though, full fat. Wasn't impressed. I've tried literally almost every flavor.

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    I kept trying greek yogurt, sure I would like it, but the plain ALWAYS tastes like I'm eating sour cream or something.I found a pinterest pin the other day that is the full fat fage, a tbsp of pb, a tbsp of whatever sweetener you like I did honey, and some chocolate chips whatever you like, I used teh mini semi sweet ones, and MAN was that good.nbsp; I eat it as a dessert though.Oh, and for some reason I love the Oikos key lime greek yogurt.nbsp; DD likes it, so I usually buy it for her and then just finish hers ds only likes the really sugary kids yogurts of course....nbsp;

Aww, I'm not a huge pb fan, darn. I may try it anyways. Thanks!

Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    imageExpectantSteelerFan:

I kept trying greek yogurt, sure I would like it, but the plain ALWAYS tastes like I'm eating sour cream or something.

I found a pinterest pin the other day that is the full fat fage, a tbsp of pb, a tbsp of whatever sweetener you like (I did honey), and some chocolate chips (whatever you like, I used teh mini semi sweet ones), and MAN was that good.  I eat it as a dessert though.

Oh, and for some reason I love the Oikos key lime greek yogurt.  DD likes it, so I usually buy it for her and then just finish hers (ds only likes the really sugary kids yogurts of course...).

I love the Oikos key lime too! Also the raspberry. I think those are my favorite flavors.  

Pregnancy Ticker

image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"