Breastfeeding

EPers - what was/is your goal?

My dream was to EBF for a minimum 6 months, but hopefully a full year.  That didn't work out so now I'm EPing.  It's getting harder and harder as LO gets more alert and active and to be totally honest I hate it. At the same time, it's the last thing I can do to salvage our BF relationship and give LO the kind of nutrition I wanted him to have. I spend every pumping session wondering how much longer I'll be able to do this and what a good goal would be. So, my question to you is what are your goals?  Or if you EPed with a previous child, how long did you do it?

Re: EPers - what was/is your goal?

• kagjagkagjag member
    I am in week 7 of EPing for DS and I also think about quitting each day. I EPed for DD for 11 months and had enough in the freezer to give her expressed bm for 13.5 months. I had a large oversupply then and do again now. By the time I returned to work at 12 weeks I only pumped four times a day and by 6 months was down to twice a day. My goal this time around is 6 months as I find it remarkably more difficult to EP with a nb and a toddler around. I am freezing like mad and have about 550 oz frozen already to prolong his bm nutrition after I stop pumping. I have dropped down to 6 ppd already do to oversupply and my sanity's sake without a supply drop. I plan to drop down to 4 ppd with my return to work in 5 weeks and if I don't make it to 6 months, so be it. It won't be the end of the world and a few days/weeks/months of bm is better than none at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My goal is 1 year. But I'm SO OVER IT! I was really tempted to quit around the 6 month mark, but like others I'm stubborn & want my little guy to get the nutrition even if I'm miserable. I'm down to pumping 4 times a day & still get enough for him plus a little to freeze. If I can make it a year, great, but if we have another baby I don't think I could do this for so long again. It does wear on your sanity and I long for the day when I don't have to hook myself up to this blasted machine! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I set small goals for my self but decided not to stress myself out and if i cant do it then formula is not evil. My first goal was a month then 3 months. I am a week and half a way. Then my goal is 6 months. I will start dropping.sessions at 6 months because of my freezer stash so i hope to make 9 months or longer with my stash and only a couple of pumping session. But small goals is my answer because if i told myself a year right now i would stress over it and totally give up.
  • My girls had SO many feeding issues in the NICU, we just never really got to BFing (and, to be honest, the actual act of BFing was never super important to me -- just that I was able to provide the milk -- by whatever means possible!)

That said, my LONG term goal is to get through next flu season -- so likely a little under one more year (in the end, they would be around 18 months actual, 15.5 months adjusted).

However, my first goal was to get to 6 months actual (done!), next is 6 months adjusted -- given that's 6 weeks away, I'd say we're there! Next goal would be 1 year (early Nov). Mini goals have been helpful -- especially when I get frustrated with the whole thing...

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ugh, I'm so jealous of you women who have a freezer stash!!! I know the goal isn't to feed the freezer, but at least then I could quit pumping sooner and still give lo bm.  As it is, I already have to supplement 4oz of formula every day.  It's so disheartening to sit hooked up to this machine for 20 minutes and only walk away with 1 or 2oz sometimes!!!!!! The most I ever get is 5 oz.
  • I have been EPing for 9 months now. I think I will keep going for a year.
    I really wanted to do a month. When I managed that, I extended to three and then to six. Now it's a year.
    Not sure what to say, I hate it too, but I have lots of milk and really want to ebf my babies.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I EP'ed the whole time. Little one never learned to latch even after 9 weeks of lactation appts.

My goal was 12 months. Then my little guy had mspi and I eliminated all soy and dairy from diet and continued to EP and give him breast milk until he was able to tolerate wcm. I EP'ed for 19 months and 1 week. Yay!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"