3rd Trimester
Options

Birth classes

My OB office offers birth classes free to patients, it is two 2-hour classes during the 8th month. The hospital I am giving birth at offers a 5 week course (total 10 hours) and costs $60. My OB recommended theirs because it is free and provides all the same information, and of course when I took a tour the hospital recommended theirs because they teach about their facility with current L&D nurses (as opposed to the OB office where the instructors haven't actually attended births recently) and is more extensive. I am wondering how useful it would be to have the extra instruction time vs the quicker free course offered by my OB office? How helpful was your birth class/how extensive was it?  I am (almost-graduate in 2 weeks!) a nurse and feel like I have a good grasp on possible interventions/the medical side, but as a new mom am completely clueless to what it is actually like to go through it! The hospital class would start next week so I don't have the option to take the other one first and then sign up for the hospital one if I want more, as it isn't until July. Thanks!
image   image

Re: Birth classes

• Options
    smfdjosmfdjo member
    I didn't take any of the classes, wouldn't have matter because I ended up having a csection.  I think it is a personal choice.  What are you leaning toward?
  • Options
    We did our hospital's class, it was a 2.5hr class every week for 5 weeks, which we paid $85 for. It was taught by one of their L&D nurses, and we thought it was worth EVERY penny. If nothing else, it completely reinforced my decision to deliver at that hospital, because in addition to learning the signs of labor, how long to labor at home, when to call the Dr/hospital, we learned what their standard practices were. Things like kangaroo care & delayed cord clamping which I was expecting push back on were actually the standard, and I learned that we have 6 lactation consultants on staff, with 4 more that rotate in, and that I can expect a visit from then within the first 2 hours of delivery. We met and got to know several of the nurses that we will likely see at some point during our stay, which already has me feeling more at ease. The other bonus was after 5 weeks of hanging with the same people, all of whom were from the same area and due around the same time, we now have a little network of people who are in the same boat as us, and we're planning to get together after all of our babies have arrived for a picnic, and one mom and I hit it off really well and we're planning to do regular playdates/get togethers this fall.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For 60 bucks I'd do the hospital one. I just coughed up close to 300 to take classes at my hospital! I'm jealous of all these low price classes!
  • Options
    shanog3shanog3 member
    I just finished a 4 week 12 hour class. there was alot of class interaction, which was nice but I didnt really learn alot from. There was a mom that already had 3 kids, I probably learned the most from her stories. We had a Ped. Dr. come talk to us for an hour. that was good. so overall - you will probably learn what you need to in the Free class, but will have more interaction in the longer class.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for your advice! I am still not sure what I will do, I suppose I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow :)
    image   image
  • Options

We just started classes this week at our hospital, they're $150 for 4 sessions.

After the first class, we were so happy we did it and know it will be worth every penny! Not even for me, but for my DH. He has already learned so much he didn't know!

I figure, this is going to be one of the hardest things I will ever do in my life.. the least I can do is be as prepared for it as possible. What's a little money out of my pocket if it will make the whole experience that much better. Even any slight bit better is worth the money in my opinion! 

• Options
    jennOKjennOK member
    Our class was a oneday class that lasted for 4 hours. It was free to us since we are delivering at the hospital. I can't imagine needing to go for hours of classes for several weeks. We got lots of basic information at ours, met some of the nursing staff, and got to tour and become comfortable with the facilities.
  • Options

imageaylacbw:
    imageNokkouttmomma:
    For 60 bucks I'd do the hospital one. I just coughed up close to 300 to take classes at my hospital! I'm jealous of all these low price classes!
    Same here. I'm in a big city and all the classes I looked into were at least 200, it could be though that I was looking at stuff outside the hospital that was recommended by my doula and midwives.

This is me too.  DH and I are going tomorrow for a one day, 9am-5pm birthing class that includes a tour of the L&D suite.  It cost us $200, so for $60 I say its probably a good deal.

I am always on the side of wanting to be more prepared, especially since I am a FTM and don't really know what to expect.

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Options
    I really wish that my hospital had offered a free birthing class. I paid $100 for a one day class. I think it was about 7 hours long with a lunch break. We watched videos, did breathing/massage exercises, lecture about the birthing process/medication and talked a little about what would go on during the stay. While I did learn some....I wouldn't recommend it. I could have easily learned about all those things elsewhere. I say you should take advantage of the free class and see about taking a tour seperately (if that is at all possible). You could also benefit from reading books or articles online. Your hospital probably has reading material too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Since I'm going for a natural birth having a birth class was important to me.  But I didn't waste my time with the hospital classes, which were basically just "this is who we are, what our rules are, etc.".  We're doing hypnobirth classes instead.  I am SO happy we decided to do these courses because it has given me WAY more confidence in birth.  So for me, that was worth the time/cost of the programs. 

However, I don't think I would have felt the same about the hospital class, which is just two hours like yours.  We scheduled a tour on our own and got all of our questions answered as far as procedures go.  Now, the 10 hour class may be more involved and helpful.  I'd take a look at what's covered at those, they may cover more than just hospital procedures and you may find them very helpful.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    We are doing a 5 week course that starts next weekend. DH and I are glad we are taking it because honestly we have no idea what we are in for during birth and after. We feel knowledge is power. I have already taken my breast feeding course and it made me feel a lot better and gave me some great tips so I am excited to take ours. I don't see how it couldnt be useful for FTMs?. I wonder what the difference is between your free course and the 5 week one? Could you get a syllabus from each class to make a better decision?
  • Options

Is there anyone who could give you feedback on either class? That might help you to make up your mind. 

I loved the classes made available by our hospital. They were very informative, intensive and covered a variety of coping techniques. 

I don't remember exactly how long the course was, but it was around 8 weeks long, once a week for 2-3 hours a night. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"