August 2013 Moms

Small baby girl

My doc is concerned because baby girl is so small and I only have 9 weeks to go. We will be having another US in 3 weeks to check size again but in the meantime he said not to worry. Easier said than done. I couldn't get him to tell me her estimates at this time because he doesn't want me to worry about it. Grrrr! Grow baby K, please grow!

Re: Small baby girl

• I am in the same situation! I posted over on the High Risk board, because I also have GD and thought maybe the other GD ladies would have a similar experience.

They were all pretty reassuring and said there's still time for her to grow, some of them also measured small, but their babies turned out 100% healthy, etc. The doctor wouldn't give me exact measurements either, but I'm going to bring it up to my OB on Monday. I also have to do a follow up in 3 weeks. 

T&P for you, and I'm hoping both our baby girls grow big and strong! 

• When I was pregnant with DD, she was small. I had to go in once a week for ultrasounds and was induced at 38 weeks, due to her not growing properly. She was born at 5 lbs 3 oz and 18 inches, perfectly healthy! She was just tiny. :) She is now 6 years old.

I know its hard to not worry, but keep in mind that it may be she is just small!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the reassuring words. I know that these are just estimates, but still can't help but worry.
  • Are they checking her overall weight/size or are they doing measurements of head, limbs, organs, etc?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesomebodysmama21:
    I am not disregarding your doctor but please remember that u/s are not an accurate measure of weight, they can only accurately measure bone structure. They told me DD would be almost 8 lbs she was 6lbs 9 oz and to this day is a very small child at 17.5 lbs at 19 months. Some kids are just small.

Word. If your dr told you not to worry about it, he shouldn't have said anything in the first place. My friend has been told her baby was small through growth ultrasounds this entire pregnancy and she had a 7 and a half lb, 20 inch perfectly normal sized little boy.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imagevintageutopia:
    Are they checking her overall weight/size or are they doing measurements of head, limbs, organs, etc?nbsp;

They have measured long bones, head and organs. The doc said everything appears to be fully developed but very tiny. The next US we will again get these measurements as he want to see the percentage of growth in the three weeks, he also wants to make sure she is practicing her brrathing effectively. My external measurements are right on, but he said baby K is very small.
  • imagesomebodysmama21:
    I am not disregarding your doctor but please remember that u/s are not an accurate measure of weight, they can only accurately measure bone structure. They told me DD would be almost 8 lbs she was 6lbs 9 oz and to this day is a very small child at 17.5 lbs at 19 months. Some kids are just small.

That's why it's important to do multiple u/s. Being able to make a comparison is more useful than making a determination off of one. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"