Babies: 9 - 12 Months

12 month old will not sleep thru nite, am i alone, pls help?

Hello,

My 12 month still wakes up once every night. She takes a bottle in her crib and goers back down on her own, but her pedi said she should be sleeping 10 hours straight. I've tried feeding her more at night, ignoring her cries, and nothing works, I fee lso lost and I don't know what else to do. And how long is ok to let her cry? any advice would help. TIA!

Re: 12 month old will not sleep thru nite, am i alone, pls help?

• I still think that 10 solid hours without food or drink for a baby is a lot. I'm 27 years old, and I can't go 8 hours without something to drink, so I don't expect ds to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pedi suggested at 6 months to let her CIO completely at night. She was waking up every 3 to 4 hours. So we did and after 2 nights she was STTN. It sounds like you have tried to let your LO CIO but it takes persistence. If you give in once and feed them, it will tell your baby that crying equals bottle. I did comfort my DD if she got hysterical but tried not to pick her up and tried not to even go in her room. It's so so hard and I cried with her even but it teaches them that night time is for sleeping not eating. We have to teach our babies how to STTN and how to self sooth themselves, it's not something most babies just learn on their own. Just don't give if you are going to try it. My doc said his first cried for 2 hours the first night and 45 min the 2nd and STTN the 3rd. Similar to our DD. plus your LO is probably only waking out of habit, not hunger.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think 12 months is plenty old to CIO. That being said, there is a growth spurt and Im assuming LO is either learning to walk or still perfecting the skill. We're back to waking up 1-2x a night and it sucks.

After we get through this growth spurt, walking and his 12mo shots, and he still isnt sleeping, we will do something then. 

• My oldest didn't sleep through the night until he turned 2 and we did CIO with him numerous times.  Most of the time he would wake up and play in his crib and talk to himself for 15-30min then I back to sleep.  There wasn't much we could do when he did that....we just left him alone and tried to go back to sleep while he chattered to himself.  

I would try CIO to lose the tittle but I wouldn't automatically expect that LO will magically sleep through the night after that.  Some kids do, some kids don't.  My oldest is a great sleeper now but I used to think he would never sleep through the night.  DS2 still doesn't sleep through the night (not waking to eat, just wakes to get comfy call out to us, get a paci, listen to his crib soother) and we've done CIO a few times.  Heck, sometimes I don't STTN as an adult so I definitely don't expect it of my kids.  I expect them to know nighttime is for sleeping and that we don't get up to play or eat but if they wake for a few, no big deal in my book.

• Is this bothering you? If not, then I don't think you need to change anything. Once a night sounds nice to me as my almost-11 month old wakes at least twice to eat (he's BF though).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is almost 17mo and still wakes a couple of times a night.  Twice is normal for us, but when she's teething it can be much more often.  She is still BF and that's the easiest way to get her back to sleep.  CIO does not work for us, DD just gets more and more upset and ends up vomiting.  Our ped said we can work on night weaning and have DH get up with her or we can just go with it.  I'm not really concerned about it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • mnb311mnb311 member
    imageJayandEmm:
    I still think that 10 solid hours without food or drink for a baby is a lot. I'm 27 years old, and I can't go 8 hours without something to drink, so I don't expect ds to.

It's actually very normal and healthy for babies to sleep 10 to 12 hours straight. All babies I know do..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ferber suggests offering water, which we did, and that worked like a charm.  Our LO wasn't hungry, he was just used to waking up and having milk.  Once he stopped getting it, he stopped waking up.  I'd suggest getting a copy of the Ferber book, I love it!
  • steverstever member
    DS1 didn't STTN until well over a year. And if you're baby's hungry you feed it! End of.
  • imagekbruington:

imageDCMerged:
    Is this bothering you? If not, then I don't think you need to change anything. Once a night sounds nice to me as my almost-11 month old wakes at least twice to eat (he's BF though).

Good question for OP. Just because your pedi tells you something, it doesn't mean you have to listen or that it applies to YOUR child. All kids are different. If you aren't bothered by the 1x a night feeding then keep doing it. Your child will outgrow it when he's ready.

ALL OF THIS.

If your little one were getting up and staying up, i'd want to change something. But taking a bottle and going back to sleep is no big deal. As long as your LO is getting enough sleep total, one MOTN wake up is no big deal. 

Personally, I don't understand why a baby's sleep habits is of any issue to a doctor...it's not really a medical issue, as long as they aren't sleep deprived, which your certainly isn't.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"