Single Parents
Options

Mom is driving me nuts!

So I am super close with my mom and I love her to death, but lately she's driving me nuts!! Every decision I make about the baby elicits a snarky or judgmental response. I"m sure that some of it is me just being hormonal and having a shorter fuse than normal but UGH!

B/c I'm single I sort-of fee like she's trying to step in to be my "partner" in this adventure. A few weeks ago she kept saying "our baby" then asked me if it bothered me and I told her "yes, it's a little weird" She since stopped that, so there's something.  

I told her recently that I asked my BFF and her fiance to take the baby if something should happen to me and she just couldn't believe it! Not that she wants to  raise it, but she thinks I should name my 20 year-old sister as the guardian, are you kidding?! My sister looked at her like she was nuts and my dad totally disagreed as well. Thankfully!

Then when I when I told her if it's a boy he won't be circumcised, well, she almost couldn't talk!  She said "We'll discuss this later"..Umm, no we won't not really up for debate. Then she made some joke (half-serious) about how she'd take him in for it!

This week I scheduled an early gender scan and invited her to come and she just kept saying how silly it was and a waste of money.  I ended up cancelling b/c I just didn't want her there with me. 

I sort-of feel awful b/c I love her and need and want her support, but she's just being so overbearing.  All I can say, is thank god I don't have to deal with a MIL too!

Thanks for reading my vent.

Re: Mom is driving me nuts!

• Options
    Yeah, that sounds really annoying. Is this her first grandchild? That might also factor in.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageRunaway22:
    Yeah, that sounds really annoying. Is this her first grandchild? That might also factor in.

This, if it's her first she might just be really excited. I doubt she means any harm, she probably just has a certain way of doing things. You have to remember tons of things have changed since we were babies, there's a lot more that's widely accepted now such as, gender scans.

Try to be open to your moms suggestions even if they don't seem like just suggestions. You don't have to agree with what she says, but I think it would get you a long way to listen and then openly and calmly explain your side. I know that emotions run high and staying calm can be hard when something feels like it's such a big deal, but it will be ok and in the end it will be your decision.

Also, maybe ask her for advice? I.e. what kind of diapers she used for you, what kind of formula, what it feels like when the baby has hiccups etc.

Good luck, and if things still don't get better try having a hearttoheart with her about how you're feeling!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ha! Let me know if you find a way to make it stop because I have two kids and they are my mom's 6th and 7th grandkids if you count the stepgrandkids and she still drives me crazy! Don't let your relationship deteriorate over it, tell her when she's really going over the line. But since you probably do need her help you kinda have to suck up some of it. Fun, I know! Trust me, I could tell you some stories!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetracy41:
    Ha! Let me know if you find a way to make it stop because I have two kids and they are my mom's 6th and 7th grandkids if you count the stepgrandkids and she still drives me crazy!

My parents are both going just as crazy as BD's mom, and my parents already have a grandkid. BD's mom I figured would go a little crazy and over the top but my parents are too. However, thankfully only my mom hasn't been giving me parenting advice. But she gets to hear me rant about my other parent's and BD's mom's advice.

Good luck! A little heart to heart could help, just don't sound like you're on the attack.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetracy41:
    Ha! Let me know if you find a way to make it stop because I have two kids and they are my mom's 6th and 7th grandkids if you count the stepgrandkids and she still drives me crazy!

My parents are both going just as crazy as BD's mom, and my parents already have a grandkid. BD's mom I figured would go a little crazy and over the top but my parents are too. However, thankfully only my mom hasn't been giving me parenting advice. But she gets to hear me rant about my other parent's and BD's mom's advice.

Good luck! A little heart to heart could help, just don't sound like you're on the attack.
  • Options
    imagetracy41:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"