27 Weeks Pregnant

Sleeping on my back?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still having trouble sleeping on my side rather than my back. It's just been easier to fall asleep that way. This is partly because I've been propping myself up on pillows for a few weeks fighting some wicked heartburn, so naturally, side-sleeping while semi-seated is harder.

I have had some improvement in my heartburn the last few nights, and I am getting more consistant with sleeping on my back, but I'm worried:

Have I hurt my baby, starved him for oxygen or the like, by sleping on my back off and on the last few weeks? Keeping in mind that by now I'm sleeping 4 hours tops before going to the bathroom and repossitioning myself anyway?

When I have woken up on my back I haven't felt numbness in my hands or feet like my circulation has been cut off, but I don't know for sure how HE'S feeling, and that's what's most important. :(

Re: Sleeping on my back?

• Honestly, I wake up on my back every morning. Even when I wake up during the night to use the bathroom, I wake up on my back. I fall asleep on my side and end up on my back. It never fails. I don't have numbness either, and he moves around whenever I wake up. I think it's fine! It's almost impossible to prevent it as you have no idea what you do in your sleep!
  • I toss and turn all night but in the morning I wake up I am most of the time on my back. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I sleep on my back almost every night (even if that's not the position I originally fall asleep in). I brought this up with my midwife out of the same concerns and she said it was fine commenting that if you were to pinch your nerve (and deprive your baby of oxygen) that you'd know it because you'd feel so sick you'd wake up...SO....I'd say as long as you feel OK sleep however you are comfortable
  • I'm also 27 weeks along, and I asked my OB about this too. He said that if the vena cava is being compressed to the point of significantly affecting the blood flow (=oxygen availability) to the fetus, you'll be symptomatic: you'll wake up in "fight or flight" mode, with heart racing, possibly sweating, and a general feeling of anxiety. You should ask your practitioner too(!), as it's always good to get multiple opinions (I think). But this advice made me feel better.

He also said that if I'm sort of propped up, so that I'm kind of halfway between being on my back and my side, that can help minimize problems too.

• I sleep mostly on my back as sleeping on either side at times makes me nauseous.  If you read in the Bradley method husband coached childbirth, the doc says momma will sleep in whatever position in most comfortable and will change throughout the night according to her bodies needs.  

Its a little irritating when they turn a few incidences into "no pregnant woman should ever sleep on her back!"  There are all these should or shouldn't do's, find what works for you and do some research on either side and make your own educated choice you know you body best.  Pay attention to your instincts and be a happy momma :)

• A trick I figured out is to put a pillow behind my back when I am sleeping on my side so when I inevitably roll onto my back during sleep I do not go fully onto my back so it keeps pressure off, supports my back, and everyone wins!
  • as long as you are comfy and can sleep I think it is ok. I try to sleep on my side but after a while it stops being comfy and sometimes hurts my hip.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I figure our bodies know what is best.  Even though medical professionals say our sides our best, I think our bodies can also communicate what is natural (and best).  Women have been having healthy babies for thousands of years and I'm sure more than a handful of those women slept on their backs.  :)

Don't stress over it. At this point in my pregnancy, I'm just glad I'm sleeping well...on my back or side or wherever!!

• I start out on my side but find myself on my back when I awake also!
  • Same here! I wake up on my back EVERY morning! I am looking forward to being able to do that without fear of hurting anything after I am pregnant. But, then again, I probably won't be getting much sleep, so it won't be much of an issue!
  • I'm on my back as well.  It hurts my hips to sleep on my side.  My doctor told me "As long as you're comfortable, the baby is comfortable."  I'll sleep where ever I can catch some awesome ZZZ's!!!
  • I can't sleep by sides is uncomfortable and I feel that if I sleep on by sides I do not know wat position my baby is in and every time I get up I feel nausea and the weight moves down
  • When I do finally fall asleep I'm on my side but when I awake I'm often on my back. The only thing I've noticed is sometimes when I wake up my bladder feels extremely full and I have to roll on my side before I get up to use the bathroom. Also, I sleep with part of the pillow under my belly for some elevation. He seems comfy that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"