September 2012 Moms
Options

Unique or tacky?

A colleague's niece is getting married this summer and the invite showed they are staying at a Sandals resort for their honeymoon. They have a site set up that you can put money toward activities they can do on their honeymoon. Would you find this tacky and give them another gift, give money or buy them a dolphin experience? lol

Re: Unique or tacky?

• Options
    Honeymoon destination and registry listed on invitation? Tacky!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    HyalineHyaline member
    I think it's tacky.  It's basically asking for money.  They can call it an "experience" but it's money.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member

IMO super tacky! It's like asking to completely fund their honeymoon. If you can't afford the "experiences" don't do them or don't go.

Also they just bought a home and I'm sure could use household items. We bought our home 1.5 years before getting married and we found plenty of things to register for. Register for the super nice towels you've dreamt over or the better coffee pot not to ride horses on the beach, UGH!

My colleague did say she thought it was super tacky too. Only after she asked me where I registered! lol

• Options

Tacky. 

It's asking for people to finance your trip which may as well be asking for cash. Apparently on some you can cash out instead of using the activities as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker< br > Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageHyaline:
    I think it's tacky.  It's basically asking for money.  They can call it an "experience" but it's money.  

It's no different than registering for gifts, in that sense. You can call it a "toaster" but it's money. No, they don't NEED a dolphin swim on their honeymoon. But do they really NEED 3 sets of drinking glasses? Probably not.

That being said, I still think honeymoon registries are tacky. Maybe it's just because they are a newer idea. I honestly don't know.

ETA: I also seriously side-eye some of the outrageous things people register for these days. A $50 iced tea maker? How about a pot of hot water? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

TBH I don't understand why people are so touchy about honeymoon registries. I personally am not crazy over the fact that a portion of what you spend goes to the company managing it but the person registering knows that and doesn't seem to mind.

If I am getting you a gift and you are telling me what you want (which is how any registry works) I don't care if it is a pan, toaster or swimming with dolphins. I'm going to spend what I planned on spending no matter where you register. I just don't understand why it is tacky to ask for something towards your trip rather than something for your kitchen. Just because they are registering for the trip doesn't mean they can't afford it. Maybe they have other stuff and don't see a need for a fancier toaster or a better coffee maker. I would rather get what they want than an extra kitchen appliance they don't really want.  

Maybe this is an UO but I just don't get the big deal.

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    HyalineHyaline member
    imageMomtobeNJ:

imageHyaline:

It's no different than registering for gifts, in that sense. You can call it a "toaster" but it's money. No, they don't NEED a dolphin swim on their honeymoon. But do they really NEED 3 sets of drinking glasses? Probably not.

That being said, I still think honeymoon registries are tacky. Maybe it's just because they are a newer idea. I honestly don't know.

ETA: I also seriously side-eye some of the outrageous things people register for these days. A $50 iced tea maker? How about a pot of hot water? 

Well, except it is kinda different.  A gift is a physical item, a "dolphin experience" is something you pay for as part of your final bill at the resort.  I also consider a registry a list of suggestions that you can buy from or not--and a honeymoon registry is suggesting "Give us money for our vacation" while a traditional registry says "We need sheets and we like these."  To me, asking for money is always tacky.  And I agree--some of the shiz I see on registries gives me hives.  Especially when nothing is under, say, $50.  

I have no problem with, say, giving a couple a wad of cash to use on their honeymoon or a restaurant gift card or calling the hotel and booking them massages as a wedding gift.  It's just the asking for it that bugs me. 

• Options
    I actually like this better than just forking over cash at a wedding.  I have never bought a gift for a wedding--I buy gifts for showers and give money for the wedding, so for me, I'd rather have them swim with dolphins.  It's making a memory. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

Tacky to have it on the invitation.  Meh for it existing.

I wouldn't do it, but I was thrilled to buy an excursion for my friends in Italy.  I asked my friend's mom where they were registered, and she mentioned it because I'm close with them.  She set it up for them, for close family only.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

I think I am the odd person out as DH and I registered for our honeymoon. We had lived together for 5+ years and had everything we needed. And paid for the whole wedding ourselves. Plus it would have been too hard to take all the stuff back with us on the plane since we got married back home but live out west. We never put on the invitations where we registered just relied on word of mouth. For the most part we received mostly cash gifts anyway, which we were also fine with.

My BIL who is getting married in June has done the same thing and I don't find it tacky at all. I did find it strange it was written on their invitation though.

Blake012913DSCF1379
  • Options
    imagethechimichanga:
    imageicedcoffeeluv:

TBH I don't understand why people are so touchy about honeymoon registries. I personally am not crazy over the fact that a portion of what you spend goes to the company managing it but the person registering knows that and doesn't seem to mind.

If I am getting you a gift and you are telling me what you want (which is how any registry works) I don't care if it is a pan, toaster or swimming with dolphins. I'm going to spend what I planned on spending no matter where you register. I just don't understand why it is tacky to ask for something towards your trip rather than something for your kitchen. Just because they are registering for the trip doesn't mean they can't afford it. Maybe they have other stuff and don't see a need for a fancier toaster or a better coffee maker. I would rather get what they want than an extra kitchen appliance they don't really want.  

Maybe this is an UO but I just don't get the big deal.

because asking for gifts is tacky.

there is no hard and fast rule that you have to buy something off of a registry either. So when the only place you registered is for your honeymoon, your guests are going to feel awkward showing up with a vacuum. 

Typically, if you include registry information, it should be subtle, at the bottom. It should be inquired about when you RSVP.

In this case then all registries are tacky. Which maybe they are, I'm not arguing that point. I just don't see how one type of registry is different from another. I also agree that there are subtle ways of including that information or spreading the word.

It isn't like they are putting their bank routing and account number on the invitation though. I got plenty of things that I didn't register for and use all the time. Half the things I did register for I barely use but thought they were great ideas.

Also getting gifts and returning them to buy something else is no different than someone giving you cash. You just have to spend it at the same place that you return it to.

View Raw Image'>

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    It is on the actual wedding invitation? That I find tacky. Any registry information on the wedding invitation I find tacky. For the act of doing a honeymoon registry, meh. If a friend registered at Crate and Barrel and also did a honeymoon registry, I don't think I would think twice about it. If they only did a honeymoon registry and were having a traditional shower, I would find that odd.  I give cash at weddings so I only look at registries if I am invited to the shower.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    PokedotPokedot member

imagehmp&mrj:
    It is on the actual wedding invitation? That I find tacky. Any registry information on the wedding invitation I find tacky. For the act of doing a honeymoon registry, meh. If a friend registered at Crate and Barrel and also did a honeymoon registry, I don't think I would think twice about it. If they only did a honeymoon registry and were having a traditional shower, I would find that odd.  I give cash at weddings so I only look at registries if I am invited to the shower.

Yes on the wedding invite. Also they were not registered anywhere else besides requesting to buy them an excursion or activity.

• Options
    imagePokedot:

imagehmp&mrj:

Yes on the wedding invite. Also they were not registered anywhere else besides requesting to buy them an excursion or activity.

I also do find any registry info on a wedding invite tacky. I don't feel it belongs there.

View Raw Image'>

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    imagePokedot:

imagehmp&mrj:

I take back my original comment of finding only registering for a honeymoon to be odd. I can actually see doing a fun honeymoon themed shower. Sip on island drinks by the pool, food spread from location of the honeymoon. Gifts of lingerie and fun excursions. IDK, the only problem I have with it is that it was on the actual wedding invite. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Tacky! I think it's a good idea to buy things for the honeymoon but I think that is for close family and even then I think people should offer on their own .
  • Options

Super tacky that is was listed anywhere in the vacinity of the invite, yes. 

But in general, no, I don't think it's tacky to have an online honemoon registry. Some people chose to have online honeymoon registries and honestly I don't think it matters what form that may be. Whether it's a candle light dinner for two at the Marriott or a a tea pot from Macy's, who cares? They'll likely get more satisfaction out of the dinner for two, so have at it, I say.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    LuvSDLuvSD member
    I find it super tacky that it was on the invite and pretty odd that it is the only thing they registered for. I think it is pretty common to give money at a wedding so if it were me I would spend the cash people gave me on my honeymoon but I wouldn't book a honeymoon and then expect people to fund it.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    LuvSDLuvSD member
    On a similar note, I had a cousin that just got married and they asked for money that they could put towards there kitchen renovation. I thought it was super weird. They live in Australia so I was going to send money with a card anyway but asking for money = tacky.
    imageimageimage

• Options

imageameyer8009:
    I'm in the minority. I love love love honeymoon registries especially when the couple already lives together. It makes it easy.

I had one. And also had a traditional registry. Neither of which were printed on the invite.

People gave gifts from both. 

• Options
    I had one as well but it was only word of mouth to our friends. It's very common in our parents' circles to give cash and we had been living together and didn't need a traditional registry. I didn't register for my shower either but had a lingerie theme. It rocked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've only seen this once and I love it. I think it was fun to know that I paid for their winery tour in upstate NY!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kjskjskjskjs member

IMO, Tacky.

If they really rather have that, just exchange the gift I buy you :)

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagethechimichanga:

Honeymoon registries are tacky, IMO.

Showers are supposed to give the bride and groom things to start their new life together, not fund their honeymoon.

If you don't need those things, well, then, don't register for anything.

Agreed. Not a fan of the honeymoon registry. Also, doubly tacky that this was on the invite.

• Options

I still think ANY mention of a registry on an invite is ridiculously tacky.

It is NOT HARD to email the Mother of the Bride, MOH, etc. to ask where they are registered. Hell, you can even Google it with their names and "wedding registry" usually. Vom. 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    miss50miss50 member

Life is about expiriences not things...

I would love to live by this motto completely.  I wouldn't have any issues contributing to an expirience rather than something to fill up the registry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"