September 2013 Moms

Heartburn

I heard if you get heartburn that means your baby will have a lot of hair?? How true is this? Haha

Re: Heartburn

• If this is a serious question, no it is not true. In pregnancy just about anything can cause heartburn. Ice water seems to be my culprit this week. Both of my kids had a full head of hair but both DH and I (well DH when he was a kid) had a crap ton of thick hair. I think its a coincidence.

If its a joke, then it means you'll be giving birth to baby lion twins. Furry little things.

• Ha my true. I had horrible heartburn with my first and he was bald. My friend had none and her baby's head was full of hair! I have bad heart burn this time so we shall see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This old wives tale actually is backed up by research! Yes, there is a strong correlation between severity of heartburn and newborn hair, as shown in a study out of Johns Hopkins. Yay science!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17150070/
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member

I am pretty sure this one is true, something to do with the amount of Estrogen produced or something, it causes hair growth and heartburn, but I am sure genetics plays a part too.

FWIW I had awful heartburn with DS and he had a full head of hair (the u/s tech used to comment on it before he was born LOL), but I also have heartburn when not pregnant, so who knows.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• So the hormone that governs hair growth also causes heartburn. Therefore, if your baby has a lot of hair, you most likely had heartburn while pregnant. However, having heartburn is not a guarantee that your baby will have a lot of hair, as there are other factors that can cause heartburn.
  • imagemamabear6252011:
    This old wives tale actually is backed up by research! Yes, there is a strong correlation between severity of heartburn and newborn hair, as shown in a study out of Johns Hopkins. Yay science!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17150070/

Omg! I thought it was just an old wives tale. So I'll be having a little lion as well I guess
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My sister had terrible heartburn and her little boy was virtually bald. I agree anything can give you heartburn and I'm suffering with it too but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with bub having a full head of hair.
  • I've had pretty bad heartburn (bad for me since I've never really experienced it anymore) throughout my pregnancy. I'm interested to see if our little Zoey will have hair or not. I was born with a full head of DARK brown hair whereas DH was born completely bald and stayed that way for about the first year of his life!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"