Preemies
Options

she doesn't LIKE my milk!

my little girl was born at 26 weeks, and as of tomorrow, - we'll have been in the NICU for 12 weeks.  She's doing fabulous in every other aspect, and all we're waiting for is for her to consecutively take a full bottle and she can go home!!!
well, She HAS taken full bottles, but mostly just about half and then falls asleep. (48ml is all she's getting)

Well, last night, the nurse noticed that she only desats and bradys while she's taking her BM feeding and that she tends to try to push the nipple away...so she tried a bit of her formula (they give her 2 feeds a day of formula to boost her weight because i HATE the fortifier...tore up her belly something horrible) and noticed she took the WHOLE bottle. -- she doesn't like the taste of my milk :(

Talk about hurting my feelings, - this is the ONE thing that I can do for my daughter while in the NICU and i've surprisingly got a great supply.  They're thinking of mixing formula and breast milk together and slowly removing the formula, so i'm hoping that works.

anyone else have this problem?  

--Tina

Re: she doesn't LIKE my milk!

• Options
    Missa_gMissa_g member
    Has the BM been frozen? I had extra lipase that was only obvious after it had been frozen.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    My 24 weeker is 16 weeks old also and in the same boat with feeding to go home. We noticed the last 2 days she will only drink my fresh milk from a bottle and hates my frozen. I dunno what she thinks she is hhaha but my supply isn't that good any more and I have a whole deep freezer full!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes. I feel like a jersey milk cow making like 4550 oz a day and shes only taking about 13 so its definitely geting frozen. Lactation is coming up for her noon feeding and perhaps we'll get her to latch n take the breast but even THEY dont know what it could b. Thanks for the info ladies.

I also have a deep freeze full... thos is gonna suck if thats the case, but at leasy she would still b getting BM
    --Tina
  • Options

((Hugs)) my dd is also a former 26 weeker. We discovered after a couple months in the NICU that she has a milk protein allergy and thus I donated about 800 oz of milk that I worked so hard for! But eventually she learned to eat by mouth and now she breastfeeds while with me and takes a bottle while I am at work. In the end it was all worth it because even though she didn't get all that milk, if I hadn't spent all those hours attached to the pump, I wouldn't have the supply I do now.  

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    So what did you do? I dont think its an allergy w my daughter because she tolerates it very well when fed w a tube.What changed that she takes bm now?
    --Tina
  • Options

imageShepperd2:
    So what did you do? I dont think its an allergy w my daughter because she tolerates it very well when fed w a tube.What changed that she takes bm now?

She always got bm but occasionally she would get bloody stools. The first couple of times they suspected NEC of course and would put her on npo and do a whole workup, then she wasnt able to tolerate any of the fortifiers that were made with cows milk. Finally they had me cut out dairy and the blood stopped.

It just took her a long time to learn to eat by mouth, I don't think that had anything to do with the allergy. Although, i do think the milk protein caused her to have more gas so she would work really hard to get it out and then be too tired to eat. She would desat and brady and they also thought she might have had a swallowing problem so we worked with the speech therapists and LCs a lot but finally she just got it. 

How does your daughter do nursing? Do you non nutritive as well? I would see how she does with fresh milk in a bottle too. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    I had this issue too. You can try defrosting your oldest bottle and smelling and tasting it. My old milk smelled like soap and tasted horrible. DD would not drink it and I don't blame her, it was gross.

If that is the case with yours, you can scald all new milk which will prevent it from going bad. The LC should be able to help with instructions. I would also defrost a bottle of milk from each week you have frozen so that you can start using the oldest good milk first.

I had to throw my whole freezer with of milk out. It sucked. Hopefully you can figure it out in time to save some of and protect the milk you are currently pumping.
  • Options
    What are you eating?  I ate asparagus one day and my LO literally wrinkled her nose, made gagging sounds, and kept pulling off the breast the whole day after.
    imageimage
    Me: 35 DH: 30 TTC since 1/2010 DX: 6/15/2011: MFI IVF with ICSI

IVF #1: Sept 2011: Beta 10/10- BFP!! 1st u/s 10/31/11 1 blighted ovum, 1 embryo 2nd u/s 11/14/11 stopped growing, no h/b D/C 11/17/11

IVF #2: FET 5/4/12 : Beta 5/16/12 BFN

IVF #3: ET 7/6/12 : 7/18 Beta #1 BFP at 246, 7/20 Beta #2 at 713, 7/27 Beta #3 at 9068. 1st u/s 8/7 with one lovely hb.
    Mabel is here! 2/17/13!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"