July 2013 Moms

Measuring small

So, at our ultrasound at 28 weeks LO was measuring in the 40th percentile overall, a little small but the dr wasn't concerned. Today we had a growth scan to ensure that she wasn't getting too large due to my GD. Well, apparently she is now measuring in the 15th percentile! The dr seemed concerned and immediately gave me a non-stress test. She did well, but the dr is concerned enough that now i have to go to a perinatologist for a level 2 ultrasound, and then come back in a week for another NST. The dr is concerned that the placenta isn't providing what she needs to keep growing. So, after a mild freak out, what now? What if the placenta isn't doing it's job? What would the options be? Anyone else measuring small? 

Re: Measuring small

• Sorry you are having to deal with this.  I don't have personal experience with this, but people can measure small for a variety of reasons and this is really a question for your doctor.  Since you have had an ultrasound and fluid levels and growth has been evaluated, it sounds like maybe the doctor is concerned about intrauterine growth restriction, when for whatever reason the placenta just fails to provide the resources needed to continue growth. Usually in that case they consider doing an early c-section to get the baby out, trying to find the optimal timing between giving the baby more time to mature but yet to avoid any further compromises.  I hope you get more answers soon!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"