Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

20 months old and not talking.

i feel like LO has regressed in speech. She used to constantly say "Mama" and "Papa", "Saki" (our dog), and now she really only says "MomMom" and "Whoa". At her 18m check up, the doctor was already a little concerned, although she's hit (and some exceeded) milestones. 

She'll grunt, point, make noises, signs, etc., but no actual verbal communication. I also should say that she can hear and comprehend what I say (ie, "Dahlia, can you put the socks in the basket please?" and she will).

Is she being lazy? Am I not doing something correctly? We read 5 books at naptime, and 5 books at bedtime, every. single. day. And I talk to her constantly.

Help? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 20 months old and not talking.

• Options

imagekbruington:
    If the pedi was concerned then what did he/she suggest? IMO, it's a good thing that your LO understands words and what you are asking of her. If you aren't satisfied with the help and guidance you are getting from your pedi then I'd get a second opinion.

All he basically said was she should know x number of words by now, and she had to stop signing. He didn't really have any other suggestions. 

• Options
    imagesharinfaith:

imagekbruington:
    If the pedi was concerned then what did he/she suggest? IMO, it's a good thing that your LO understands words and what you are asking of her. If you aren't satisfied with the help and guidance you are getting from your pedi then I'd get a second opinion.

All he basically said was she should know x number of words by now, and she had to stop signing. He didn't really have any other suggestions. 

How many words is she signing?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When she was at the most, about 30. Since he told us to stop, she really only uses maybe 10 (eat, sleep, play, friend, fence, playground, and a few others randomly). I thought she had done really well! And now i'm starting to regret teaching her that at all :/
  • Options
    DS is 17 months and only saying about 5 words so I went ahead and contacted Early Childhood Development, every state has the service and it is supposed to be awesome. A speech pathologist, early childhood teacher and child physical therapist is coming to the house and will observe and talk to me and see if he needs any appointments with help on speech or gross motor skills. I believe all states have the service for free so you should definitely check into it if you are concerned. If anything it will make you feel better when they tell you she's totally fine but if they have ways to help that's great too. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imagesharinfaith:
    i feel like LO has regressed in speech. She used to constantly say "Mama" and "Papa", "Saki" our dog, and now she really only says "MomMom" and "Whoa". At her 18m check up, the doctor was already a little concerned, although she's hit and some exceeded milestones.nbsp;She'll grunt, point, make noises, signs, etc., but no actual verbal communication. I also should say that she can hear and comprehend what I say ie, "Dahlia, can you put the socks in the basket please?" and she will.Is she being lazy? Am I not doing something correctly? We read 5 books at naptime, and 5 books at bedtime, every. single. day. And I talk to her constantly.Help?nbsp;

I'm not sure why your doctor would suggest stopping signs, as she is communicating, just not verbally. Depending on your state, you can contact early intervention. In my state MD it's called Child Find through the department of education and as a parent you can self refer if you are concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageVeryHungryCaterpillar:
    imagesharinfaith:
    i feel like LO has regressed in speech. She used to constantly say "Mama" and "Papa", "Saki" our dog, and now she really only says "MomMom" and "Whoa". At her 18m check up, the doctor was already a little concerned, although she's hit and some exceeded milestones.nbsp;She'll grunt, point, make noises, signs, etc., but no actual verbal communication. I also should say that she can hear and comprehend what I say ie, "Dahlia, can you put the socks in the basket please?" and she will.Is she being lazy? Am I not doing something correctly? We read 5 books at naptime, and 5 books at bedtime, every. single. day. And I talk to her constantly.Help?nbsp;
    I'm not sure why your doctor would suggest stopping signs, as she is communicating, just not verbally. Depending on your state, you can contact early intervention. In my state MD it's called Child Find through the department of education and as a parent you can self refer if you are concerned.

I'll look that up! And I wasn't all that concerned until MIL pointed out that DD's cousin is 3m younger and can almost speak in full sentences. Her DCP also said something about it, and said we should look into speech therapy for her. The more it's mentioned, the more I'm concerned. 

• Options
    shotzieshotzie member
    You can contact EI for an evaluation and they'll provide free speech therapy, if it's needed.

Your dr should not have discouraged signing. Signing actually leads to kids having a larger spoken vocabulary. Just say the word as you sign it, and say it when she signs it.

Each kid is different. DD1 had a large vocabulary very early. But she was a little behind on gross motor skills. DD2 is about average on her speech, but is very proficient when it comes to motor skills. We signed more consistently with DD1. I'm trying to be more consistent with signing with DD2 now.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    imagesharinfaith:

imageVeryHungryCaterpillar:
    imagesharinfaith:

I'll look that up! And I wasn't all that concerned until MIL pointed out that DD's cousin is 3m younger and can almost speak in full sentences. Her DCP also said something about it, and said we should look into speech therapy for her. The more it's mentioned, the more I'm concerned. 

Yikes pregnant brain... Child find is ages 3 to 5 and infant toddler would be under 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagesharinfaith:
    When she was at the most, about 30. Since he told us to stop, she really only uses maybe 10 (eat, sleep, play, friend, fence, playground, and a few others randomly). I thought she had done really well! And now i'm starting to regret teaching her that at all :/

I wouldn't regret teaching her signing!  In fact, from what I understand, any word signed "counts" as one of their words.  They are still communicating!  I'm really surprised your doctor told you to stop signing, but what do I know.

That said, I would still contact Early Childhood Intervention.  It can't hurt.  We've used it for my DD for speech because she didn't start babbling at all until after 9 months.  Her first word didn't come until after 15 months.  She's now 18 months and she says about 12 words or so.  That being said, I know babies much younger than DD who say more words.  But I also know that DD is quite advanced with her gross motor.  So.....usually it balances out.

I guess my point is I wouldn't be *too* worried - she has talked so you know she is capable of it - but I would get ECI involved just to check it out.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member

I'm dealing with a little bit of speech regression right now too so I've been Googling like mad. My DD is a little younger than yours, but she had something like 8 - 10 words and now she never uses them. She babbles incessantly in a conversational tone, is a good non-verbal communicator and follows instructions pretty well.

From what I've read, this happens sometimes. Especially when they are busy focusing on some other new skill. DD is really motor skill oriented and is always running around and dancing. Or maybe she just doesn't have the need to say those words right now if she's getting what she wants in other ways. I was planning on bringing it up to her doctor at her 15 month visit next week, but I am pretty sure he's going to tell me to not worry about it (my pediatrician is incredibly laid back about things which is great because it keeps me more calm).

If you are really concerned, I don't think it would hurt anything to have her evaluated. Those programs are in place for a reason. But chances are good that she's just taking a break and working on other things at the moment.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

DS was a late talker. He didn't say a single word until 18 months and didn't really start saying much more than 1-2 words until 20 months. We started him in the early intervention program for speech at 15 months. They stressed that signing is very important. I was worried that it would keep him from talking, but they said that it encouraged the words. I would keep signing and sounding out the words. Really encourage her to speak. Withold things and try to get her to say something. "You want Balloon. Can you say BALLOON?" If she says anything, even if it doesn't sound like balloon, offer praise and give it to her.

So many children in the program didn't really start talking until 24 months. It will come. You could always contact your early intervention program, if you have one.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you ladies for all your input! It really puts my mind at ease, and I'll be contacting speech people on Monday (the first day I'll have off). 
  • Options

My babe will be 16months on Monday. She speaks one word, mommy, but I can only hear it when she cries. should I be worried?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"