Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Potty for 18 month old

My almost 18 month old now has a sudden interest in using her potty. I sat her on there just to start introducing her to it, and every time she goes. Twice #1, and twice #2. She likes it. Should I start actively pursuing potty training or could it just be a phase since it's something new? She's not to the point of knowing "when" she has to go, but knows where her potty is and what to do. Any advice or tips on how to get started?

Re: Potty for 18 month old

• My younger DD has been in that stage since about 16 months. She is now 20 months and still loves to sit on the potty, and we get a few "catches" a week, but she is not quite ready for potty training. It's just a novelty to her right now. I'll keep putting her on the potty so it's familiar to her and encourage and cheer when she goes, talk about the potty, let her come in with me and her sister so she see's what goes on in there, but I'm not actively potty training her until she shows more signs of readiness.

So IMO, I wouldn't set out to potty train your DD right now, but it doesn't hurt to keep letting her use the potty. If she ends up training early, great, if not, at least she's getting familiar with it which will hopefully make it easier down the road. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't do undies yet, but you can totally take her to the potty- both of my older girls were done right before or right after 2 years and like yours were introduced nice and early- it's great when you introduce early, then there is no fear. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"