September 2013 Moms
Options

Curveball.

Life sure does know how to throw some good curveballs at DH and I. Before yesterday, DH was set to deploy in December. We knew that and were as prepared for it as much as we could. This would've been our 2nd deployment, he just returned in November. DH came home yesterday and said his orders were laid out yesterday for him to now go to Korea. This throws us a giant curve ball. DH has been to Korea before as well but this was before we even met. Now, when he's set to leave for Korea, our LO will be 5 months old. If this happened before we got pregnant, there would be no question of whether I was going with him or not. Now, we have a newborn to think about. We're torn of doing 2 years over there as a family or 1 year of him over there and him returning back stateside. There's pros and cons for every situation, we just need to weigh them out. But that's the hard part. Life sure does know how to throw us some curveballs. We've spent half our marriage apart already, all I can do is think that we will make the right decision for our family and daughter. Sipping my imaginary margarita again. Lol.
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Curveball.

• Options
    Go with him
  • Options
    What is your family/friend/support system like where you are now?

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go with him. MH travels for work (longest he was gone was 2 months so not nearly as bad) and it was very very difficult with a newborn. Obviously it can be done, but I think you both will enjoy it more if you go with him.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Korea is fun, you will  be fine, go with him.   Where is he headed to in Korea (you can PM me if you want). 

We spent close to 2 years at Camp Humphrys. I still have friends there now and about to start on their 4th year, cause they like it there. It is different, and it is what you make of it but we got out and did things.   I did have a hard time with medical but it was before things got way better.  Osan (Airforce) and Yongsan (Army) both have great hospitals, and there are 2 great Korean hospitals near Humphrys.

You will need to apply now for command sponsor because now it goes by priority. EFMP paperwork, physicals, shots if required, PPD tests, no-fee passports and visa's can take time.  

If you have any questions please just ask, more than happy to answer them! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am going to be the odd ball out. I am not sure if I would go. I am basing this on seeing my friend make the same decision her H is in the Army and knowing why she made the decision. It was hard but they were happy with their decision. Going would lead to a great adventure though! You should think about your current living situation renting or owning as well as where you would live there. Another thing that would hold me back is my dad. He has terminal cancer and I would feel terrible leaving when he and my mom rely on me so much. Either way you choose it will have its pluses and minuses and I give you a ton of credit. I could not be a military wife.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    imageAFwifelife:
    I would do the 2 years accompanied. nbsp;DH and I came to the agreement that whenever his time comes up for him to go, we would go as a family unless one of the kids is in high school then he would do the 1 year unaccompanied. nbsp;

This! Little kids are so adaptable and you guys could really enjoy it! This is definitely an experience I would want as a family. For me, there is no need to cause seperation when it is not neccessary. Congrats on him not deploying, what a relief :mobile smiley:

Boy #3!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Also wanted to add, that things you hear on the news about N. Korea and S. Korea are blown way out of portion.

Also if you do decided to go, please whatever you do, do not go into a shop to get a big name brand purse and go into their little "secret rooms" they are all fake LOL. And lemon soju soo good!  And if you are at Humphrys, eat at Suji's in the ville I miss it soooo much! 

• Options

imagedhaueisen:
    Only you guys know what is best or your family and it is a personal choice. For me there would be no question, I would go with him. We wouldn't want for him to miss out on an entire year of our baby's life if we had the option to stay together.

THIS

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagelovemyboyyss:
    imageAFwifelife:
    I would do the 2 years accompanied. nbsp;DH and I came to the agreement that whenever his time comes up for him to go, we would go as a family unless one of the kids is in high school then he would do the 1 year unaccompanied. nbsp;
    This! Little kids are so adaptable and you guys could really enjoy it! This is definitely an experience I would want as a family. For me, there is no need to cause seperation when it is not neccessary. Congrats on him not deploying, what a relief :mobile smiley:

Great point about kids, DS1 went to a Korean Kindergaten (they start at the age of 3) and he know more Hungol (sp) the language than I did! 

• Options
    I think he deserves to be with his child for the first two years of her life. Since you are allowed, when so many don't have that option, yes, you should go.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Go. No question.
  • Options

imagePrettyInPearls23:
    What is your family/friend/support system like where you are now?

My closest family is my Mom, and she's about 3 hours away, the rest of my family is 25 hours away. His family is 14 hours away. I do have a couple friends here. I'm not a bunch of friends gal so I keep just a couple close friends around. Lol.

• Options

imageMariaKeegs:
    Go. No question.

This.  If DH had to move for a job, I would go.  It would be hard to leave family and friends, but at the same time, I couldn't give up the opportunity to see and live in a new culture while staying with my H as a family unit.  

I feel like the pro of being together outweighs pretty much all cons. 

• Options
    I'm a military spouse also. For me it would be no question, I would go. I don't see what negative effects there could be on a little baby, it's not like he would be forced to leave his friends, school etc. just my opinion though. Good luck with the decision! How does your H feel about it?
  • Options
    Wow, that is a big decision. If it were me, I would go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMallardDucky:

Also wanted to add, that things you hear on the news about N. Korea and S. Korea are blown way out of portion.

Also if you do decided to go, please whatever you do, do not go into a shop to get a big name brand purse and go into their little "secret rooms" they are all fake LOL. And lemon soju soo good!  And if you are at Humphrys, eat at Suji's in the ville I miss it soooo much! 

PMed you!

• Options
    I've been to Korea. I stayed on Yongsan Army base. In my opinion this would be a great opportunity for you and your family. Korea is beautiful and the culture might be a little different, but this will be an adventure of a life time.

What are your worries with going with DH?
  • Options

imagepuppyciao23:
    I'm a military spouse also. For me it would be no question, I would go. I don't see what negative effects there could be on a little baby, it's not like he would be forced to leave his friends, school etc. just my opinion though. Good luck with the decision! How does your H feel about it?

My DH is on the fence. He's more concerned about mine and the baby's safety and well being. He would rather sacrifice a year of distance than two years of putting us in harms way. We're on the fence still. Lol.

• Options

I can't even imagine there being a choice. The first year of your LO life is so precious and important. Your DH deserves to experience it with you, since you are given the option.

Also, per the thread yesterday on your mom, it sounds like a good option for you guys. I'd jump at the chance to put an ocean between me and my mom! 

Hazel 7/08  -  Genevieve 8/09  -  Wesley 9/13
  • Options
    imagestarinyte:

I can't even imagine there being a choice. The first year of your LO life is so precious and important. Your DH deserves to experience it with you, since you are given the option.

Also, per the thread yesterday on your mom, it sounds like a good option for you guys. I'd jump at the chance to put an ocean between me and my mom! 

I literally just about died laughing when I read this! Lol. Yes an ocean between us would be nice except my Mom has a passport and frequent flyer miles! Haha. She's made it clear no matter where we go she will visit a lot. Lol. Although it would be nice to know she's an ocean away and not 3 hours! Big Smile

• Options

imagemslove03:
    I've been to Korea. I stayed on Yongsan Army base. In my opinion this would be a great opportunity for you and your family. Korea is beautiful and the culture might be a little different, but this will be an adventure of a life time. What are your worries with going with DH?

LO is really our only worry. She will only be 5 months and we're worried about when she can go and subjecting her to extra shots at that young age. Plus we have a puppy and I'm worried about finding a place where we can have her and the whole 14 hours under a plane thing...she would flip. Lol.

• Options
    imagemrskeyte9:
    imageMallardDucky:

PMed you!

Replied! 

• Options
    imagemrskeyte9:

imagemslove03:
    I've been to Korea. I stayed on Yongsan Army base. In my opinion this would be a great opportunity for you and your family. Korea is beautiful and the culture might be a little different, but this will be an adventure of a life time. What are your worries with going with DH?

LO is really our only worry. She will only be 5 months and we're worried about when she can go and subjecting her to extra shots at that young age. Plus we have a puppy and I'm worried about finding a place where we can have her and the whole 14 hours under a plane thing...she would flip. Lol.

Ds2 was just shy of 5 months we went headed over, he did not need anything more than what he had already received.  The dog needed to have a microchip and state signed health cert. though lol.   We took our cat over and she did just fine! Most Korean places accept pets, we had no problem.  We even adopted a dog while there and brought her back with us! 

• Options
    imagemrskeyte9:

imagepuppyciao23:

My DH is on the fence. He's more concerned about mine and the baby's safety and well being. He would rather sacrifice a year of distance than two years of putting us in harms way. We're on the fence still. Lol.

I feel confident that they would not give him an accompanied option if it wasn't safe for you guys to go. My husband is in the Marine Corps and we have lots of friends that have chosen both routes, and really it's individual to each family. Just because I would go doesn't make that the right decision for your family. Good luck with your decision!

Boy #3!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    bexsdbexsd member
    I would go.
  • Options
    Another vote for going. I can't even spend one night away from my DH let alone an amount of time like that.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options

Best of luck! I would go with him if it were me.

The baby will be very young still and I think it would be a neat thing for you to share as a family when she/he gets older. 

• Options
    I say go.
  • Options
    I'd say go with, but I've been looking for overseas jobs because I really would like to have that experience.  So I might be biased.
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Options
    Of course, this is a personal decision, but I would absolutely go. Having completed an international move with the army I realize it was a great opportunity, not an inconvenient interruption. A year is longer than you think, and travel can be easier than you expect. For me, wanting my family to be together trumps any issues an international move may pose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"