September 2013 Moms
Options

Head Cold

Hi all I'm 27 weeks and have a nasty head cold or really bad allergies and my doc gave the ok for me to take Benadryl, sudafed, Claritin or Tylenol Cold and Flu. I'm a FTM and have avoided taking anything during the pregnancy but I'm in pretty bad shape. I know my doc ok'd them, but do any of you veteran moms out there have any home remedies, or words of advice to calm my anxiety about taking the meds? I've got the gamut of symptoms sore throat, nasal congestion, itchy watery eyes and now it seems to be moving into my lungs. : Thanks in advance.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Head Cold

• Options

I haven't taken any of those pregnant, but i'd start with benadryl b/c itchy eyes say allergies to me.  If not for that symptom, i'd start with sudafed (ok'd by my mw and effective in my experience; i'm also not familiar with the ingredients in t c&f).

Also, at our point in gestation, chemicals are less likely to be problematic (all organs, etc. are formed and are just growing). 

Other ideas:
    gargle with warm salt water before bed and first thing in the morning
    use a humidifier
    take a hot shower without the fan (the steamy air can help with chest congestion)
    sleep on an incline (helps things drain)
    don't sniffle (blow your nose instead)
    use saline spray and/or a neti pot
    use saline (non-medicated) eye drops or rinse your eyes with clear water
    wash your hair, face and pillow case (reduces exposure to allergens)

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I've had a couple colds while being pregnant and was told to avoid Sudafed and stick to Tylenol.  I gargled with warm salt water before bed and also drank my little miracle solution of hot water, honey and lemon.  These seemed to help alot!  I used the saline sinus rinse twice a day, took hot showers for the the steam.  Oh and ate lots of Vitamin C cough drops (just make sure you don't go over 2000 mg in one day if you are taking a supplement).

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am just getting over what you have. My doctor ok'd sudafed but it had to be plain and the lowest amount. I then only took half the dose but worked wonders.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all! This is great info! I'm going to try a combo of things you all suggested. I can't wait to feel better because I have a shower on Sunday!
    Thanks so much for the info.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just getting over a yucky cold. Personally, I can't sleep if I'm congested. BreatheRight strips with menthol and adding the Vicks liquid to a warm mist humidifier right next to my bed at night both helped a lot. And drinking a hot cup of tea in the morning! Good luck it's no fun being sick while preggo!
    Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
  • Options
    Highly recommend 1/2 tbs of Vicks vapor rub in a pot of boiling water. But a towel over your head and pot.  Inhale for 15-20min.  Helps clear your nasal passages so you can breath better.  Using a netti pot twice a day helps.  Tea with lemon and honey.  When I broke down and finally took something I used mucinex.  Be carful if it is settling in your chest.  If things aren't getting better in the next few days see your OB.  I ended up on antibiotics when my cold settled in my chest.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"