2nd Trimester
Options

Advice: Heading to the spa

I'm going on a friend's bachelorette getaway this weekend and we're spending tomorrow at a day spa. I have a prenatal massage confirmed and a little nervous ... it's a 5 star resort (Bacara in Santa Barbara) so i'm sure they won't do anything they aren't supposed to but I would love feedback from anyone who has gotten one and what to expect, avoid, etc.

Also, am I allowed to put my feet in the hot tub included in the spa amenities? I of course wouldn't put my whole body in ... I don't even like the idea of a bath during pregnancy but would love to not have to entirely miss out on this portion of the day with the other girls. (They all love to spend hours in the steam room, jacuzzi, etc before and after treatments)

P.S. After the spa we're going to a nightclub ... can't wait to get dirty looks from the other club goers ... I look seriously pregnant. Crossing my fingers our table isn't outside by the smoking section...  this will be fun. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Advice: Heading to the spa

• Options
    I have had a couple prenatal massages.  The first one was much better than the second, I went to two different places.  With the first I was allowed to lay side to side while she did the massage but the second placed had this doughnut thing and you lay on your stomach and it was really uncomfortable.  I felt like I was squishing the baby even though I wasn't laying directly on my belly.  I wish I would have said something but I felt bad complaining.  My advice is if you feel uncomfortable speak up:-)  They really are amazing when you are comfy! 
  • Options
    I have had a couple prenatal massages.  The first one was much better than the second, I went to two different places.  With the first I was allowed to lay side to side while she did the massage but the second place had this doughnut thing and you lay on your stomach and it was really uncomfortable.  I felt like I was squishing the baby even though I wasn't laying directly on my belly.  I wish I would have said something but I felt bad complaining.  My advice is if you feel uncomfortable speak up:-)  They really are amazing when you are comfy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just got my first prenatal massage a few days ago and I thought it sort of sucked.  They had me lay on my side the whole time and the massage was waaay too soft.  I usually get a massage several times a year and have been massaged by this particular therapist before and it was much gentler. It felt like she was rubbing lotion into my skin versus actually massaging muscles. 

I guess I have no idea if that is normal for prenatal massage but I definitely felt that they could have gone a little harder. I tried really hard to just focus on her relaxing touch, but my back actually hurt worse when I got up because I think I help myself awkwardly as she rubbed. 

DD 9/2/13

• Options

I am a licensed cosmetologist, esthetician and massage therapist. From my experience and training, your only real concern should be hot hot hot water/getting over heated. If you are not fully submerging your body you should be peachy keen. I would also only stick to lavender essential oil, as it is the most gentle and will not cause skin irritation unless you have an existing allergy. I would also stay away from the steam room (if you hadn't planned on it already) again to avoid becoming over heated.

If you are planning on receiving a massage, ask if there is an LMT who specializes in prenatal massage. He/ she will be more specifically trained on areas not to touch, or how to treat certain aches and pains you may be experiencing. If there is not an LMT who specializes in prenatal massage, any LMT should be able to take good care of you. Just make sure you communicate about the pressure, if its too much don't be afraid to say 'hey that kind of hurts', we are used to this. If you have questions, your practitioner should be able to answer and help you feel at ease.  I hope you enjoy your time at the spa, I am honestly jealous and would love to join you girls! Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"