Multiples

So mad at myself :(

I decided to take it upon myself to prep the nursery for painting.  Got my low VOC paint, a mask, taped up the walls blah blah blah.  Then I decided I should do this thing right and fix some rough spots on the wall, busted out the sander and went to it.  Then I realized that I don't know squat about what kind of paint was used in the past and I am sure I was creating some lead paint dust.  I had the windows open and a vented mask on, but I was still in there for a good 45 minutes.  I want to curl into a ball and cry myself to sleep right now :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So mad at myself :(

• scorchscorch member
    How old is the house ?  You're probably ok because you were wearing a mask, most houses that you buy now have to be certified lead free.
  • Definitely older than 1978.  I was working on the area under the window so was at head level to the ventilation, plus had the mask on.  I started sobbing immediately once it all clicked in my head.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sure you didn't do any damage. How old is your house? Pretty sure they had to stop putting lead in paint some where in the 70's. With that said... my house is almost 100 years old, we figured between all the layers of paint and wallpaper in the last 40 years I wasn't too concerned with getting to a "lead layer" when we did some sanding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the house was built in 1954.  There were a million layers of paint on the wall and I have no idea how close to natural wall I was because new colors just kept coming up.  I am so glad I didn't forgo the mask.

• :( Hopefully you are OK!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I talked to my OB yesterday and he did not seem concerned, saying that it doesn't transfer through the placenta as easily as people think.  I am still going in for a blood test tomorrow to know for sure.  Fingers crossed!  Thanks, ladies!

• I'd try not to worry too much.  Easier said than done right?  When I was pregnant I remember eating something or doing something and then later on finding out x is not recommended during pregnancy.  I remember being so stressed out about those things as well.  Yet, my boys were born perfectly healthy.  Sounds like you took appropriate precautions and even if there was exposure, it was minimal and by no means long term. Good luck with your blood test.
    D & R were born at 37w5d.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"