Infertility Veterans

PIO tips?

Just learned I'll need to do PIO in addition to my vaggy suppositories.
Boo. So wanted to avoid this... But hey, what's one more round of injects? Right?

Xoxo for any tips. Thanks ladies.
BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
TTC #1 since 1/10
DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!

Re: PIO tips?

• I made sure mine were body temp before injecting.  I forgot once a paid dearly.

It sounds weird but for me walking around or going up and down the stairs a few times right after injection made it less sore the next day.  Could be coincidence but I felt more sore on the nights we did it and a laid in bed and never got back up <<LUMPY BUTT>>.

Good Luck, it's no fun.  I actually preferred the PIO to suppositories because I only had to worry once a day about it. 

PS...  YAYYYYY! I'm so excited for you! 

36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • I've never done them but have heard running a tennis ball over the area to help work in the meds, heating pad, hot shower and DON'T ice your butt. I'm glad everything went well for you. Good luck in your 2ww!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • rrdiva1rrdiva1 member
    imagefiresiren:

I made sure mine were body temp before injecting.  I forgot once a paid dearly.

It sounds weird but for me walking around or going up and down the stairs a few times right after injection made it less sore the next day.  Could be coincidence but I felt more sore on the nights we did it and a laid in bed and never got back up <<LUMPY BUTT>>.

Good Luck, it's no fun.  I actually preferred the PIO to suppositories because I only had to worry once a day about it. 

PS...  YAYYYYY! I'm so excited for you! 

not weird my dr told me it helps dispense it. When you walk around.my husband made sure to really stretch the skin before inserting and the rubbed the he'll out of it. I never got lumps etc. I did 4 rounds of it, so pio pro. Good luck sweetface

Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• I have never given myself PIO (I thought I could but wimped out).  There were a few nights my DH was unable to give it to me but I was lucky to have a nurse from my clinic volunteer to come and give it to me.  I wish I had a video tape of the first shot she gave me!  I was standing against a table with my weight off the side she was going to inject into.  All of a sudden she slapped my back side and literally less then five seconds later, she exclaimed, ?Done!?.  I didn?t even feel it!  All I felt was the slap!  I tried to explain this technique to DH but his execution of it was less than stellar, so we tried to create our own no fail technique.  

After having the nurse give it me, I realized that the ideal area was a lot higher and further out than what I envisioned from the diagram I was given.  Getting the right area is key.  For me, I didn?t really find a difference whether I was lying down or not.  Either way worked well as long as I kept the side being injected into relaxed.  My husband wrapped the syringe in a paper towel and then held it to his chest for about five minutes before injecting and that really made a big difference for me in how it felt going in.  Also, I found that using a heating pad after made a huge difference in how my back side felt the next day.  

Good luck!  As pathetic as it sounds I actually miss my PIO... What incredibly warped beings IVF turns us into!

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI #2 = BFP; early loss

IVF/ICSI #3 (DE) = BFP; early loss

FET = BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (DE w/ CCS) = BFP

Beta #1 @ 10dp6dt = 265; Beta #2 @ 14dp6dt = 1251. 

1st U/S @ 6w2d showed one perfect little heartbeat! 

2nd U/S @ 7w2d. HB 132 & everything measuring on track.

Our beautiful little girl arrived January 2015!

• AmCheriAmCheri member
    Will you be giving them to yourself, or will you have help?
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I'm glad you asked this. I'll use pio for the first time in July and am very nervous!
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • I prefer the PIO actually.   Just rub the area after the injection is done.  I find that the pains don't last more than a day and now that I've been on it awhile my butt is almost used to it and it hardly hurts anymore. 
     TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• AmCheriAmCheri member

This is what worked best for us.  

I'd start by warming the oil in the syringe with a heating pad. Then we'd head to the kitchen where I'd lean on the countertops with my forearms. Take all of the weight off the side to be injected. It's easiest to simply cross that leg over the leg of your non-injection side. I'd breathe in deeply and on the exhale, DH would inject.  While he continued the injection, I'd continue with cleansing breaths to distract. We had to inject 2cc PIO which takes some time.  

Have wipes and a bandaid ready to go.  I almost always needed a tiny bandaid and some oil might leak out. 

Immediately after you apply a bandaid, massage fairly vigorously for about 5 min.  Then sit on a heating pad for another 10-15 min.  

PIO truly isn't that bad. As stated above, it's crucial that you inject in the proper location. If you're doing it right, the shots are not painful. And, the proper place is higher than you might think. Ask your nurses to circle the area.  You can soooo do this!  

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • djma81djma81 member

imagehootie123:
    I prefer the PIO actually.   Just rub the area after the injection is done.  I find that the pains don't last more than a day and now that I've been on it awhile my butt is almost used to it and it hardly hurts anymore. 

This exactly! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been on it and hopefully will be starting back on it on Wednesday.  First warm it.  The fastest way I found to do so is by rolling it in my heating pad.  I like laying down for the injection.  I lay down on the couch because it makes it easier for me to relax.  I put my hand on my hip bone to give him a marker (he goes just below hip bone in outer upper quadrant, it's more like low low back than butt).  I have DH countdown (3-2-1).  When he gets to 1, I squeeze my hand in a fist tightly (digging nails into palm, this makes me focus more on the palm pain than the needle stick).  He pulls back, then injects slowly.  Afterwards, he massages hard for a few minutes.  If it is before the transfer, I will use a heating pad after ( I was told not to use heating pad after transfer because it may increase your body temperature).  It also helps to move around after.  I like someone's suggestion to walk up and down the stairs.  I was definitely sore the next day but as time goes on, you get used to it and the soreness dulls.  I have also given myself the PIO and delestrogen last cycle during beta hell when DH was out of town.  It's not as hard as it seems.  I really felt proud of myself and it gave me some positive feelings when everything was going hell.  By this point, I had been on it for at least 2.5 weeks.  You could see where all the marks where so the spot was easy to find.  I laid on my hip/side to be able to turn a little bit to see it and just stuck it.  Pulling back is the hardest part to injecting yourself I found. You could definitely do the injects if you have to!!  I think that I prefer it to the suppositories because I know that I am getting the right amount and it's not messy.  Good luck!!  

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married June 2011 Dx: anovulatory due to prolactinoma (1.5cmx 1.5cm in 2006)
    April 2012: MRI- questionable cyst 8mg by 12mm in pituitary ; referred to RE by Ob-gyn after amenorrhea x 4+ months, provera ineffective, low estrogen level
    cycle 1: May 2012, clomid 50mg; cycle cancelled, thin lining, no response
    cycle 2: June 2012, femara 5mg; cycle cancelled, no response
    cycle 3: July 2012, femara 7.5mg; cycle cancelled (largest folli on Cd12 & cd 16: 11, lining 4)
    Repeat MRI July 25,2012- Cyst unchanged, likely old infarction.
    Aug. 8: met with RE, move to injectables if HSG and SA normal
    Aug. 23: HSG all clear; DH- perfect
    Switched to a new RE in early Sept. IVF here we come
    Genetic testing reveals: Fragile X- Intermediate risk/grey zone.
    IVF#1: ER 11/30: 14 retrieved, 10 mature, 7 fertilized. E2 prior to trigger 5200. Decision made to freeze 6 embryos and transfer later due to OHSS.
    IVF#1.2/FET #1: estrogen injects start 1/18, FET delayed to try to thicken lining. lining 5.4mm. FET- 2/18- transferred one 3AA expanded blast. BFP 5dp5dt. Beta #1- 2/27 9dp5dt- 102.27 beta #2 3/1: 147 :(, beta #3 3/4: 268 told to stop meds and let nature take its course. requested 4th beta (3/6); Beta hell for 2 months.

FET # 2: endometrial scratch 5/6, added estrace vaginally and ASA to delestrogen and PIO. June 10- transferred one 4AA hatched embryo, BFP 4dp6dt, Beta 1 (9dp6dt) 187, Beta 2 (11dp6dt): 412; Beta 3 (15dp6dt ): 4452. U/S #1- one beautiful embryo with a heartbeat of 133 at 7 weeks.  8 weeks: heartbeat 156. EDD 2/26/2014: born 2-3-14 induced due to Pre-E and HELLP at 36w5d.

12/1: met with RE to discuss trying for #2

• One last tip is to make sure the bevel of the needle is facing up when you inject. Not sure why but it helps with an easier injection.

Good luck!

• EnndeaEnndea member

*********SIGGY WARNING*********

Lurker around here!

I must be a weirdo b/c I didn't think PIO was bad at all and even gave myself the injection when my DH was out of town, but since I had success with it, I thought I would pass on what worked for us:

1.  Put the vial in your bra for 5-10 minutes before you do the shot--it warms it up perfectly.

2.  Lay down on the edge of the bed and hang your leg off the bed on the side you're going to inject.  This makes it impossible for you to tense up the muscle.

3.  Have your DH do the injection quickly--like a dart--right in.  It will surprise you both how easily the needle goes in, and it really doesn't hurt.  Going slow does though.

4.  Inject the liquid slowly.

5.  Slap a bandaid on there and have your DH really massage it (very firmly) for 1-2 minutes.  

That's all we ever did and I never had any pain, bruises, or lumpy butt.  Good luck!! 

TTC #1 since 2/2011. Me: Age 36. Stage III Endo and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
    IUI #1 March: BFN, IUI #2 April: BFN.
    IVF #1: Started stims 7/30--CANCELLED.
    IVF #1.2: Stims start 10/8/12, ER: 10/20/12; 11R/8M/4F, 5DT: 10/25/12, transfer of a 4AA and 3AB Blast. BFP on HPT 10/31/12; Beta #1: (16 DPO) 954! Beta #2: (18 DPO) 1968! First U/S: TWINS!! A/S: TWO BOYS! EDD: 7/13/13
    PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"