3rd Trimester
Options

NBR: Rant

Next week is DH's birthday. One of his family members contacted me today about wanting to throw him a surprise party. Immediately, I knew this probably wasn't a great idea, because DH is an executive chef and entering high season--meaning he is working 70+ hour weeks and day to day I have no idea when he'll be coming home.

I told the guy that I didn't want him to go to the trouble of party planning, because it's highly likely DH wouldn't make it to his own birthday party. Then, he starts saying "well, maybe if he gets off early, we could still do something..."

I ask what he had in mind, and he said a potluck at MY HOUSE. Trust me, there would be not potluck--these relatives are all males in their 20s who live at home and have no idea how to make toast. He starts telling me who I can invite, whay dates I should look into, etc. Note: this is a text converstation.

So basically, he just asked a 7+ months pregnant woman to host his party (invites, cooking, cleaning)? He's so socially awkward though I don't even know how to respond. I just told him I'd look at the calendar and see what's possible. (Hint: nothing is possible).

Am I overreacting?

Re: NBR: Rant

• Options
    nycnolanycnola member
    Nope, not overreacting. I would just say no, we can't do it at my house, and I would prefer to wait based on DH's schedule. They might get angry but if this group is a bunch of clueless 20yo dudes he has no idea what kind of obstacles you are up against anyways. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ppppfffffttt NOPE! I would have said good luck buddy. If he wants to throw a party I damn sure wouldnt be the one doing all the work and allow him to take all the credit. sounds like he just needs a free meal. 

Tell him you are too busy making a baby. Maybe next year! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope just tell him it's not possible , you can always say doctor said no extra cleaning 
  • Options
    I would politely tell him that with you being so pregnant and your DH working so much this year isn't possible. Next year would be fun, but you're going to keep this year's birthday low key with just a small family dinner/lunch whenever your DH  has time. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I knew my fellow bumpies would understand. I am just going to say it's not gonna work this week year.

• Options
    Wow. The douche is strong in this one. (your DH's friend) Sorry that you are put in that position...def what other posters' said! :)
  • Options

imagegrace_smith03:
    Wow. The douche is strong in this one. (your DH's friend) Sorry that you are put in that position...def what other posters' said! :)

I don't even think he's a douche--he's just so clueless. I wish he was just a friend, and not DH's family. That would make letting him down easier. I don't think he realizes the work that goes into entertaining people at home. Typically, even if my house is already "clean", I spend 1-2 hours cleaning and setting up prior to guests' arrival. I spend the evening before and the day of preparing food. I also normally spend about $200+ on groceries for one evening, that I go out and purchase the day before. Then, there's always a "day of" trip for the 1 or 2 necessary, but forgotten, supplies. And that's just when we have some family over (like 10-12 people), not a full on party. 

Normally, DH and I love having people over, but I don't want to take on that workload while in my 3rd tri. And who can argue with a pregnant woman? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"