Food & Nutrition

Eating for GD and getting enough calories

for mobile bumpies: Eating for GD and getting enough calories

After barely passing the 3 hour glucose test, my Dr. has recommended that I "closely follow" a GD diet as if I had failed, since I cut it so close.

I have structured my meals and snacks for the day to meet  the carb counts, but I end up coming in for the day at only 1300 calories. 

How exactly does one eat to watch the carbs, and still get enough calories?

T0 give you an idea, today I had:

Breakfast - oatmeal with 1/2 cup blueberries

Snack - Orange and 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Lunch - Progresso Soup (Chicken Tuscany) , the can [lunches are difficult because I only have 30 minutes, so it's up to me to pack something...]

Snack - (will be) an apple with 1 oz almonds

Dinner - Pork tenderloin roast with spaghetti squash and leftover tabbouleh salad (made homemade, with almost all the oil omitted).

I was enjoying the food and snacks until I realized I am not getting enough calories. :(  Any suggestions, please and thank you? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Eating for GD and getting enough calories

• Make extras for dinner and pack your leftovers for lunch.  Canned soup is fine in a pinch, but it's not the best option.  Plus, as you get farther along, swelling will be an issue and canned soup will make it worse.  

Why don't you have any protein (other than the small amount in the oatmeal) with breakfast?  That'll add calories and keep your sugars more level.  

You can also try adding in an after dinner snack.   

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • I figured the protein in the cottage cheese, the chicken and beans in the soup, the almonds and the pork would be enough. I can look into adding more, though. (I had two scrambled eggs with my oatmeal this morning to try and found things out).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been wondering about this.

My doctor said to try not to gain weight (I do weight a lot for my height) but also told me to limit my carbs since my sugar came back high (getting the glucose test in the next few weeks to check for GD).

Anyways it's kinda hard to figure out how to eat correctly and enough at the same time. 

Still trying to figure it out  :/

• imagetheatrelily:

I figured the protein in the cottage cheese, the chicken and beans in the soup, the almonds and the pork would be enough. I can look into adding more, though. (I had two scrambled eggs with my oatmeal this morning to try and found things out).

I wasn't asking for total protein intake.  I was asking because you should always pair a carb with a protein with GD. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Two thoughts - add eggs in the morning for protein/calories. Add oil into your tabbouleh - calories and fat is necessary and satiating.

Instead of canned soup for lunch (sodium content alone is not great), try packing something homemade. My fav lunch in a pinch is a big salad with leftover chicken roast, hard boiled egg, cheese, all sorts of veggies, and dressing. Very filling and easy to have a few times a week if you buy a big bag of spinach or lettuce, and I'll roast a chicken on Sunday to eat through the week.  I bring leftovers a lot for lunch too. 

imageimage
  • So, I think I am going to try adding eggs in the morning and packing lunches that are a bit more fulfilling. I thought I might grab a cheese stick or two for good measure.

Thanks very much for your time and suggestions, ladies, I greatly appreciate them! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely need more protein!!!  I technically have GD and my doc said absolutely NNO fruit until afternoon.  I have peanut butter toast, cheese stick and low sodium v8 for breakfast.  Lately I have been boiling eggs on Sunday so I can have one for breakfast everyday too.  Very quick and sticks with you!  Tons of veggies and protein is basically the key.  Hope this helps a bit.  
    Shauna B
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"