Babies: 6 - 9 Months

XP: fluoride supplements

Is anyone using fluoride supplements?

Why or why not?

I need to do more research on it. Our pedi didn't say much about it. Just that usually families with well water or reverse osmosis filters give their babies fluoride supplements.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: fluoride supplements

• My pedi didn't say anything to me about water/fluoride at our 6mo appt. Then I read in Baby 411 that they should start getting fluoride after 6mos. DS was about 7.5 months when I read that (oops). I will just start mixing his formula with filtered fridge water when we are out of bottled water. Until then, I just give him a few oz of tap water. Since he didn't tell me to give him supplements, I am not going to do so.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • There's no way I'd purposely give my kid fluoride.  It's bad enough they put it in the public water!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenumberonemama:
    There's no way I'd purposely give my kid fluoride. nbsp;It's bad enough they put it in the public water!

This

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • My town doesn't fluoridate its water (which my pediatrician in the neighboring town happened to know) so he wrote a prescription for poly-vi-sol vitamins with fluoride. I'm happy to have the supplementation for developing teeth.

• We were prescribed fluoride tablets by our pediatric dentist since we have well water.  But we didn't start those until 2 years old.
  • iadanzaiadanza member
    imagebensbride225:

My town doesn't fluoridate its water (which my pediatrician in the neighboring town happened to know) so he wrote a prescription for poly-vi-sol vitamins with fluoride. I'm happy to have the supplementation for developing teeth.

I live in Portland which recently voted against public fluoridation...again... we are currently using these same vitamins with fluoride drops and I try to remember to give them to him.  Although, he hates the taste and I often forget....

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • A simple Google search will show you that fluoride is a toxic chemical. Children's toothpaste is "fluoride free" = fluoride SHOULD NOT BE SWALLOWED. Figure it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGrk_Natasha:
    A simple Google search will show you that fluoride is a toxic chemical. Children's toothpaste is "fluoride free" = fluoride SHOULD NOT BE SWALLOWED. Figure it out.

Then why are licensed, board certified pediatricians prescribing fluoride supplements? This is not a snotty/snarky question - I am genuinely curious. Something tells me the fluoride levels in toothpaste and the supplements must be very different. My pedi didn't prescribe a supplement for my DD, by the way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageMomtobeNJ:

imageGrk_Natasha:
    A simple Google search will show you that fluoride is a toxic chemical. Children's toothpaste is "fluoride free" = fluoride SHOULD NOT BE SWALLOWED. Figure it out.

Then why are licensed, board certified pediatricians prescribing fluoride supplements? This is not a snotty/snarky question - I am genuinely curious. Something tells me the fluoride levels in toothpaste and the supplements must be very different. My pedi didn't prescribe a supplement for my DD, by the way.

That is a very good question, as I have never heard of a doc doing this. And if I did, it would raise a lot of questions as to how good a pedi they are. Just because they are "board certified" doesn't mean they know best. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGrk_Natasha:
    imageMomtobeNJ:

imageGrk_Natasha:

That is a very good question, as I have never heard of a doc doing this. And if I did, it would raise a lot of questions as to how good a pedi they are. Just because they are "board certified" doesn't mean they know best. 

You've never heard of a doctor prescribing fluoride supplements? 

• imageMomtobeNJ:
    imageGrk_Natasha:
    imageMomtobeNJ:

imageGrk_Natasha:

You've never heard of a doctor prescribing fluoride supplements? 

Nope, not in the seven years I have been a mommy! And I agree that I would question them. 

• Well, there are 3 people in this thread alone who said they've had them prescribed, soooo......

• imageGrk_Natasha:
    imageMomtobeNJ:

imageGrk_Natasha:

https://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/P_FluorideUse.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5014a1.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"