Cloth Diapering

CDers are superior?

Just wondering something...when people find out that you're a CDer, do they make you feel like you're doing something really charitable? or pitiable?  I always get the "oh wow, cloth? That's so great-I could never do it." 

I know there are some that have mentioned that people think CDing is so gross with the poop and everything in the wash, but I find that it's the opposite-people react as if my husband and I are taking on something impossible.

I get that reaction when people find out that I work with people with intellectual disabilities...that pity in their eyes.

Anyway, happy Friday! Just something I'm curious about 

ps...I do think CDers are extra special. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: CDers are superior?

• KarBearKarBear member
    Heck yeah!

j/k Most people just think its cool when they find out. I get lots of questions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We haven't actually started yet but when I tell people about our intent they generally look at me like I have 2 heads and are all "good luck with that!".  For me, it's really an environmental thing.  Sooooo many sposies going into the landfill makes me sad :(. 

BFP #1 7/1/12 | EDD 3/12/13 | mm/c 7/31/12 | D&E 8/3/12
    BFP #2 11/28/12 | EDD 8/10/13
    Our Baby at 11w6d | 55mm (2.2") | 162bpm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I either get the "why would you do that?" or "I've been thinking about doing it, can you tell me all you know?" 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageChickypoo2468:
    In all things, it seriously pisses me off when people say I won't be able to handle things. I have handled everything I have done or come across in my life. Who are these people? You think I'll give up? I think you're just lazy.

I tell people about our intent they generally look at me like I have 2 heads and are all "good luck with that!"

This bugs me too.  I had my best friend respond to our intent to CD and she said "ha! that won't last long" And it is strictly because SHE is lazy.  (side note:: I also get this reaction about BFing.)  I guess for these people, anything involving effort is foreign to them. lol 

ETA: that second line is to quote aquangel 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I find that people in my generation are shocked and wonder why I would do such a thing.  But people from older generations are pleased to see someone using cloth again.
  • imagestarlightstef:
    I find that people in my generation are shocked and wonder why I would do such a thing.nbsp; But people from older generations are pleased to see someone using cloth again.

I actually get the opposite...people my age think it's cool/are impressed and ask questions, where as older people are imagining rubber pants and wondering why we don't just use diaposables. After I've shown some older people, like my step mom, DH's grandma and a few of her friends, they did change their mind a little.

ETA: Seriously, mobile bump, why can't I use parentheses??

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have gotten that reaction as well.  I think it's partly because people are lazy and partly because they don't realize how easy it is.  I think a lot of people still picture the cloth diapers with pins and rubber pants.  I think it's more work - but the environmental and health benefits are well worth it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I do generally get reactions along the lines of "hey, that's so great of you, but isn't it a ton of work?" so I think people generally think it's the environmentally responsible thing to do but can't imagine doing it themselves. However, I did get the "OMG, you wash poop?!" response from one acquaintance; the best part was her husband's response was the exact opposite.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Um yes I think I'm better than a sposie user. There. I said it. Fffc.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBemyselfandi:
    Um yes I think I'm better than a sposie user. There. I said it. Fffc.

Atta girl! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I find that most people that find out I use cloth always start making excuses about how they don't have the time to do cloth, and they start rhyming off the things that they have to do so they couldn't possibly do cloth. 

I've had three friends do this, one just recently. I'm like "it's just laundry people! You're doing it anyway." Maybe everyone thinks I'm washing my diapers by hand, in a stream, and beating them against rocks??????

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageBemyselfandi:

Love it! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageBemyselfandi:

I second this.

imageimage

image           image

• An actual comment on a picture of some adorable tiny CBs that I posted to FB... "God Bless you for wanting to be environmentally conscious, but you do realize you have to clean POOP out of those, right?"

I just replied that I did in fact know that and that I have done about two years worth of research on CDing and the chemicals I'll be avoiding.  Also, that poop is poop and I'll have to deal with it regardless. 

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    imagemegemoney:

An actual comment on a picture of some adorable tiny CBs that I posted to FB... "God Bless you for wanting to be environmentally conscious, but you do realize you have to clean POOP out of those, right?"

I just replied that I did in fact know that and that I have done about two years worth of research on CDing and the chemicals I'll be avoiding.  Also, that poop is poop and I'll have to deal with it regardless. 

It's easier to wash a diaper than a carseat. or a swing. or a high chair.

• Most of my mom friends are using cloth. My husband absolutely loves cloth (the disposables would fail on closure and he'd go through several in a changing session). Baby loves cloth too (less crying during changing and no irritation on her skin).
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • imageadevlin24:
    imagemegemoney:
    An actual comment on a picture of some adorable tiny CBs that I posted to FB... "God Bless you for wanting to be environmentally conscious, but you do realize you have to clean POOP out of those, right?"I just replied that I did in fact know that and that I have done about two years worth of oresearch on CDing and the chemicals I'll be avoiding.nbsp; Also, that poop is poop and I'll have to deal with it regardless.nbsp;
    My cousin recently sent me a gross pic of her sons onesie covered in poop from one of his regular blowouts. She thinks CDs are ridiculous. I think blowouts and sposies are ridiculous. Poops going in the wash regardless honey!
    *mobile puke* This is so gross. If someone sent me a picture of their child's poop regardless of where it was I would block their phone number.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • emisiemisi member

imageBrassyClarinet:
    My mother is so convinced CD is a stupid idea she went and told all her friends to buy me formula and disposables.  Guess what I got for my shower? I could have punched her.

Wow, rude!  Can you return any of it? 

Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Women's shelters would be very grateful for donations of diapers.

Most people were surprised we were doing CDs or said we'd quit before long, but for the most part it's NBD.

• imageBrassyClarinet:
    My mother is so convinced CD is a stupid idea she went and told all her friends to buy me formula and disposables.  Guess what I got for my shower? I could have punched her.

If they are brands carried by WalMart, you can take them in and return them in exchange for store credit without a receipt. I *think* BRU and Target do the same thing, but don't hold me to that. Or you could always donate to a shelter or a pregnancy crisis center.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"