Cloth Diapering
Options

Wool

I think that wool is my only option to stop nighttime tummy leakage. I was hoping not to just because it seems a bit overwhelming and expensive. We are currently using S'bish snapless for overnight, so do I just put the wool directly over that? Do I really not need to wash it more than every couple of weeks? How many covers should I get? Do they not stink really bad from all the pee? W is a pretty heavy wetter and goes for about 12 hours overnight.

Re: Wool

• Options

You can definitely use a wool soaker over your sbish. That is the combo we've been using at night for over a year now. Two covers are better so when one is being washed/lano'd you have a spare. If you're just using them at nighttime, you shouldn't have to wash/lano more than once every 3wks or so.

S'bish wool is amazing, but can be a bit of an investment. I really like Woollybottoms interlock soakers for overnight. A lot of the girls here really like Wild Coconut Wear interlock soakers as well. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Sbish snapless are not really an overnight diaper for a heavy wetter.  I know that some people do use them, but they were definitely not absorbent enough for that purpose for us.  The OBFs have an extra soaker plus since the outer shell is made entirely of OBF, it's like having an extra 2+ soakers in the diaper as well.  The OBFs are really the way to go. 

As far as wool: Yes, you just put it over the diaper.  No, you really don't need to wash it more than every few weeks.  You only need two to alternate between.  No they do not stink at all "from all the pee".  

I recommend a double layer interlock soaker for maximum bulletproofness.  (You may not actually NEED that level of bulletproofness but if you want to err on the "safe" side, I would recommend that route.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageyodasmistress:

Sbish snapless are not really an overnight diaper for a heavy wetter.  I know that some people do use them, but they were definitely not absorbent enough for that purpose for us.  The OBFs have an extra soaker plus since the outer shell is made entirely of OBF, it's like having an extra 2+ soakers in the diaper as well.  The OBFs are really the way to go. 

Hmmm, I never realized that the fitted could be the problem, I figured it was just the cover. We have been using a S'bish snapless with a hemp insert outside of the fitted and an unstuffed pocket as a cover. I figured using a pocket wasn't ideal, but thought I would give it a shot since I already have a bunch. I wasn't sure that a legitimate cover would be much better since they seem to be leaking out the top about 50% of the time, which is why I'm thinking wool now.

• Options
    Also, do you use wool for naps? W usually naps 2-3 hours in the afternoon, and if he's on his stomach the whole time, then he almost always wakes up with a wet onesie and wet sheets. I'm so tired of having to change the sheets 1-2 times/day. He usually naps in a BG 4.0 or Blueberry Deluxe stuffed with hemp and an MF insert.

• Options
    imagecrystaltastic:
    imageyodasmistress:

Hmmm, I never realized that the fitted could be the problem, I figured it was just the cover. We have been using a S'bish snapless with a hemp insert outside of the fitted and an unstuffed pocket as a cover. I figured using a pocket wasn't ideal, but thought I would give it a shot since I already have a bunch. I wasn't sure that a legitimate cover would be much better since they seem to be leaking out the top about 50% of the time, which is why I'm thinking wool now.

I've used S'bish snapless diapers with an added hemp insert for nighttime, I definitely prefer an OBF, or my special fitteds made specifically for overnights, but in a pinch, or when DD HAS to have that diaper it will work.

The more absorbent the fitted diaper the less of a chance you will have with leaking. Definitely try an OBF, or get an extra insert to try in your snapless to see if that helps. You will also get more coverage with just a PUL cover as well since they are designed to cover a diaper. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Honestly, my son leaked out of PUL dipes while sleeping without even utilizing the full absorbency - that is the whole reason we switched to fitteds and wool.  So I'm not saying that the dipe is the reason for the leaking.  Just that you may consider that aspect as you further evaluate your overnight diapering solution.  Does that make sense?

We actually use wool ALL the time.  But if we did not, then yes, I would use it for any time he was sleeping.  Because of the aforementioned leaking scenario.  My son usually leaked out the top of the side closures (where the wing meets the diaper on the thigh) becuase he was side sleeper.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We were having just about the same problem, and I finally tried wool. It has been a little bit of trial and error since I went with a knitted cover instead of interlock, but so far it has helped a LOT. I'd start with at least 2 so that if you do have a night where your LO gets the wool pretty wet, you've got a spare to use until the first one dries out. (Especially if you're going to use it for naps...) The also fitted definitely makes a difference for us. My S'bish OBF is the only thing that is truly bulletproof under the wool by itself. I can use other fitteds with a Blueberry cover under the wool, and we're usually okay that way. For naps I just put him in a fresh double-stuffed pocket. He doesn't usually sleep more than 2 hours, so that holds him okay right now.

• Options

Agree with all other posters.  One thing I love is a OS wool cover.  MamaBear OS wool covers are awesome and made out of upcycled sweaters.  Also her lanolizing wool wash is really good and her lanolin revitlizing spray is also really good.  I've tried CJs wool wash and don't like it nearly as much.  I do love CJs for their creams though!

Also wool really isn't that hard.  I have two covers and just use one while I was the other every few weeks etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"