Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

a bad week to throw a party

I apologize in advance for this being long.

I had a MC (my second one this year) four weeks ago. It was right before the first of two weddings we attended in May, and H and I decided to just not tell anyone that we were going through it again to avoid being the buzzkillingtons of our social circle. Fast forward  to last week, I found out it was ectopic. We cancelled our memorial day weekend trip to Montreal (my Dr said no way I was travelling even though the risk of rupture was tiny since the embryo had stopped growing three weeks prior) so people got suspicious but didn't push for details. I got methotrexate Saturday, felt like crap, then ended up in the ER Tuesday night and had surgery. I had a cyst that ruptured, which they couldn't see until they opened me up. They cleaned up the damage, which also meant taking the tube.

My wonderful husband has been taking the best care of me since we found out last week about the ectopic. He also has been really pushing me to rest and get better, and he finally told me why. He has this perfect wine tasting party planned for my 30th birthday on Saturday. He's been working on it since my MC four weeks ago because we'd decided to wait until fall to ttc again, and he put together a surprise party knowing it would get me out of my turning-30-and-no-babies-yet funk.

I kind of want to have the party anyway. Now I know about it, so it's not a surprise like he worked so hard for.  I think that I'll be okay as long as I don't mix wine with Percocet. I just don't want it to turn into a pity party, since I'll probably not yet be 100%, and I know I'll get a lot of questions.

How have others found the recovery  from laparoscopy? Both physically and emotionally? I think that spending the day with my family and friends is just the thing to help, but physically, I can't sit up on my own yet - the four incisions still hurt too much. The thought of wearing pants hurts too. I have two days to go but don't want to completely ruin H's plan by cancelling at the last minute. I already had to cancel our mini-vacation. I'm thinking even if I feel like I do today I can just sit through it and still have a good time just by being with our friends and family. 

I think the hardest part emotionally is that we are further along in the grieving process than people realize, but it's like starting at the beginning now that other people know about it. 

image 312 Invited
image 182 Are ready to party!
image 127 Will be missing out!
image 3 Are MIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: a bad week to throw a party

• Options
    First off my heart goes out to you. Your H sounds great and most people will respect the loss and won't question you. Maybe a flowey dress would be better then pants. We MC I'm Feb 28 and I turned 30 may 4th. I went into a major funk. I found out short private pity parties can do wonders. Limited time mine about 5 to 10 mins. I screamed I cried. Occasionally punching something. Then I would laugh about my childish behavior and it helped to deal with seeing people. Happy early birthday.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I had an ectopic in January, discovered at 8 weeks and removed by lap surgery all in one day, along with a tube.  Of course play your recovery it day by day, but I think it's not unreasonable to imagine going to your party in a few days. I was pretty uncomfortable for a few days following my surgery, but I was getting around pretty well after about four days, as long as I wore loose clothing I could make myself comfortable. If I recall correctly, I wasn't even taking any pain meds anymore after the third day post-surgery, so could have had some wine or something then.  Just take it easy, like you say sit and just enjoy some quality time with family and friends. If you get tired or overwhelmed, go and lay down for a bit if you can, or just make it a short night and leave if you have to.

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Without addressing the physical part b/c I don't have experience with that....

perhaps you can just tell people that you really don't want to talk about it. And just leave it at that. As a matter of fact, if you can get the word out (via word of mouth through a best friend or something) that you don't want to talk about it before the party, then maybe you'll get fewer comments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"