Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

no poop

My LO is 3 months next week, and we are at over 7 days now with no poop. I know some things I read say that is normal, but it's hard not to be concerned. He seems to really be struggling like he wants to go. I called the pedi since it'd been over a week and they said to come in this afternoon. I'm just wondering what they can even do, or if it will just be him telling me don't worry, this is fine. We tried a warm bath and the rectal thermometer but nothing happened. He pretty much refuses a bottle, so juice suggestions would be difficult.

Has this happened to you? Tell me it's normal for him to go this long with no poop. Did your kids eventually do it on their own, or did you have to help them out somehow?

Thanks!

Re: no poop

• Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    My doctor always told me three days without poop and give her a call of things to try. But we've never had an issue, DS always poops first thing in the morning and maybe once in late afternoon. If he doesn't poop in the AM it usually results in a blow out early evening. I'd call your doctor and see what they want you to try to encourage it. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options

DD#1 was EBF and went a week as well. It definitely concerned me, but pedi assured me it was normal. She ended up going on her own.

It's good you're bringing him in to get checked, just in case. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I battled with our pedi when DS didn't poop for 2 days once. He swore EBF babies "did not get constipated" it was just medically impossible... well DS was very grumpy, pushing so hard his little face turned bright red, lots of farting and leg wiggling, poor kid was miserable. I added an ounce of prune juice to every bottle until he went and boy, oh boy, did he go finally. It was epic. Since then we switched to pear juice and he gets an ounce or two with every morning bottle and he's been much more regular.

Try using a syringe, like the one that comes with the infant tylenol to squirt a little juice at a time in his mouth. It might get a little bit in there at least. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • Options

Where did you read that a week was normal?

3 days can be normal as long as they don't seem to be uncomfortable. Try not to stress right now though and just see what the pedi says. Keep us updated.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My pedi suggested a little sugar water but I would call yours first. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

he pooped! in the waiting room, literally 30 seconds before they called his name to go see the doctor. of course. lol.

pedi checked him out, said it didn't look like he had been constipated, and said this can happen with EBF babies and not to worry. I'm just glad he ended up going on his own. he was breastfeeding at the time, so he was pretty relaxed and happy lol. I guess we will see if this keeps happening, but for now, pedi called it "acceptable".

• Options
    imagerockyrollgirl:

Where did you read that a week was normal?

The pedi had mentioned it at our 2 month appt, and I know when I was googling, a few sites said something similar, like this one: https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/diapering-a-baby-9/baby-constipation

• Options

Glad he pooped! :)  Normal for EBF babies though.  Since bm is easily digested and basically everything in it is used by the body, there is very little waste product formed.  Some EBF babies only poop once a week.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"