1st Trimester

First Visit Blood Work

I went for my very first prenatal visit yesterday. When I sat with the nurse, she said that my urine pregnancy test had a very dark line and that is rare for me to be this early in my pregnancy. I told her I got a very faint line at 3 weeks 3 days and a very dark line 2 days later. All she could say was, "Wow, wow, wow." I took it as a good sign. My doctor felt my uterus and he said it felt larger than he would expect. They also went ahead and did an ultrasound. Before it began, the tech told me not to worry if we couldn't see anything because it was still very early, but we saw a very definite spot. She said it was measuring about 5 weeks 1 day.

All that to say, my doctor said he was going to do some additional blood work by mixing some hormones into my blood that was drawn. Any idea what he is looking for? We are both hoping for twins, but will be happy as long as our baby is healthy! Thanks. :)

Re: First Visit Blood Work

• Why didn't you just ask your OB?

Why don't people talk to their OB when they have questions?! I will never understand this......

• I'm not sure what he's looking for but I just wanted to say congrats and good luck!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never heard of this, but at ultrasound you should be able to see it very distinctly on even an early one...

If they suspect twins then I imagine that is what they are looking for. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageMommyAmes2:

Why didn't you just ask your OB?

Why don't people talk to their OB when they have questions?! I will never understand this......

I know right? Do they just sit there all quiet and not speak up? Why do they think that people on the internet would know more than the trained medical professional that's right there in front of them and available? WTF? 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I think both of you ladies are being very rude. I always speak to my doctor if I have any questions. What are forums for if we can't ask each other questions? I didn't think to ask my doctor at the time because this is my first pregnancy and I had just been flooded with a TON of new information. They told me I should get my results today so I'm just waiting to speak to them when they call me today.
  • imageMrsMartin27:
    I think both of you ladies are being very rude. I always speak to my doctor if I have any questions. What are forums for if we can't ask each other questions? I didn't think to ask my doctor at the time because this is my first pregnancy and I had just been flooded with a TON of new information. They told me I should get my results today so I'm just waiting to speak to them when they call me today.

Some people on here can be quite rude indeed.  I totally understand how overwhelming it must be.  My first prenatal visit is June 11th and I'm going to take some notes with me so that I don't forget to ask any questions.  Maybe next time you go in, do something like that in case you get overwhelmed again?

• Thanks, that's a good idea! :)
  • imageMrsMartin27:
    I think both of you ladies are being very rude. I always speak to my doctor if I have any questions. What are forums for if we can't ask each other questions? I didn't think to ask my doctor at the time because this is my first pregnancy and I had just been flooded with a TON of new information. They told me I should get my results today so I'm just waiting to speak to them when they call me today.

Wait wait, no one is being rude. We were posing a question too. Is that not allowed? You said yourself that this is a place for asking each other questions. That is what we were doing. Are some questions allowed and not others? Why are you allowed to ask questions, but we aren't?

We didn't say that you were a bad person, stupid or anything else for not asking. We just wanted to know why you didn't ask. That's not a crime. I think you are being overly sensitive to our legitimate questions about your situation.  

Its rude to ask questions and then get your panties in a twist when people try to get more information to help you out. Calm down.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imagesunshinegirl2013:

imageMrsMartin27:

Some people on here can be quite rude indeed.  I totally understand how overwhelming it must be.  My first prenatal visit is June 11th and I'm going to take some notes with me so that I don't forget to ask any questions.  Maybe next time you go in, do something like that in case you get overwhelmed again?

No one is saying its not overwhelming, but you are an adult and a big girl. Cope. You know you are going into a doctor's appointment. Prepare yourself. Its up to you to do these things. The more you know is up to you. If you don't do it because you are sniffling about being "overwhelmed" then parenthood is going to eat you alive. Again, realize that people are just trying to help you and to do so sometimes we have to ask questions. No one insulted them or said bad things about them. It was simply a question about why folks don't take advantage of the time, professional right in front of them to get their questions answered.

More often than not people think that somehow we know specifics on their situation and we can't possibly know. This is a reality. It makes no sense to get butthurt and complain about people being rude/mean whatever because we can't divine the answers to your questions. That is unreasonable.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageMommyAmes2:
    Why didn't you just ask your OB? Why don't people talk to their OB when they have questions?! I will never understand this......

Sometimes the appointment can have so much info and be so exciting you may forget to ask questions!
  • I just wanted to say I understand where you are coming from and feeling a little overwhelmed and maybe not thinking to ask everything that was running through your mind. You're going to be a great mom and no, it's not going to eat you alive just because you got overwhelmed at a prenatal visit by all the excitement. I vote for just calling your OB's office back and asking just so you know.nbsp;

This. Good luck OP!

ETA meant to quote lbs2012 but messed up when trying to trim quote trees.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pips30Pips30 member

imageMrsMartin27:

Sadly there are MANY very rude people on these boards! They seem to be on here just to spread negativity and so definitely ignore them and there are some wonderful people too but you do have to shift through a lot of the rude ones. It's so sad there can't be more maturity on a board where women are pregnant! It is a bad sign for being a future role model to a child. :( Even if some people have a valid point it seems that they must say it in the rudest possible way. Definitely don't take it personally. It really is on them! :)

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Wait wait, no one is being rude. We were posing a question too. Is that not allowed? You said yourself that this is a place for asking each other questions. That is what we were doing. Are some questions allowed and not others? Why are you allowed to ask questions, but we aren't?

We didn't say that you were a bad person, stupid or anything else for not asking. We just wanted to know why you didn't ask. That's not a crime. I think you are being overly sensitive to our legitimate questions about your situation.  

Its rude to ask questions and then get your panties in a twist when people try to get more information to help you out. Calm down.  

Perhaps you need to re-read your post. Ganging up on another member is rude and the way you wrote your answer was 100% rude. Do people really have so little self awareness? and then to act like you were being totally kind?! 

Here's a way to say what you did politely:

"Hey - you should probably speak directly to your OB about that so you make sure you get the most informed answer". :) 

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Perhaps you need to re-read your post. Ganging up on another member is rude and the way you wrote your answer was 100% rude. Do people really have so little self awareness? and then to act like you were being totally kind?! 

"Hey - you should probably speak directly to your OB about that so you make sure you get the most informed answer". :) 

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

Thanks! I wish the boards could be more supportive. The whole reason people come on them is to chat and just see if other people experienced what they did. It's not to take the place of a doctor just to feel emotional support (hence community) it is sad there are so many who try to ruin it. Being pregnant makes you even more vulnerable and it's a shame :( Glad there are some great people too though. :)

• imageMommyAmes2:

Why didn't you just ask your OB?

YesYesYes

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Prim, how dare you be honest and direct!!?!??! And, no smiley face!??!  Come on now!!!

*rolling eyes*

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

Agreed. 

January Siggy Challenge

Praying for our May15 baby!          January 2014- Welcome Sweet Kimber!
    image     image
  • imageMrsMartin27:

I went for my very first prenatal visit yesterday. When I sat with the nurse, she said that my urine pregnancy test had a very dark line and that is rare for me to be this early in my pregnancy. I told her I got a very faint line at 3 weeks 3 days and a very dark line 2 days later. All she could say was, "Wow, wow, wow." I took it as a good sign. My doctor felt my uterus and he said it felt larger than he would expect. They also went ahead and did an ultrasound. Before it began, the tech told me not to worry if we couldn't see anything because it was still very early, but we saw a very definite spot. She said it was measuring about 5 weeks 1 day.

All that to say, my doctor said he was going to do some additional blood work by mixing some hormones into my blood that was drawn. Any idea what he is looking for? We are both hoping for twins, but will be happy as long as our baby is healthy! Thanks. :)

imageimage

• imageMrsMartin27:

BB

imageimage

• You should really get in the habit of always asking the doctor questions.  Be your own advocate for your health care.  If any doctor tells you they are running a test, ask them why, what will the results show, what are test testing/looking for, etc.  Your doctor knows better than a stranger on a message board that knows nothing about your medical history or your specific case. 

imageimage

• A dark HPT and being bloated is hardly an indication of twins. The only way to tell is via u/s.  GL at your next one.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imagesunshinegirl2013:

imageMrsMartin27:

I agree...very rude.  Perhaps she didn't think of the question until she left.  During my first appointment today, I wrote down my questions so I wouldn't, but after leaving and having some time to reflect, I had some more.  I will be asking at my next appointment in 2 weeks.  It would probably be in better character to not comment rather than being so judgmental.
  • You're being rude, Prim.

Not everyone leaves a doctor's office having asked all their questions.  It's entirely possible for questions to come up after you've had time to process the appointment, especially when you're pregnant, and the OP was simply asking a question here.  No harm, no foul.

OP, you should be able to call your doctor's office to ask your questions before you hear back.  Usually you can speak with a nurse about it.  Some docs even give their patients their email address for question asking purposes. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• PearlyMPearlyM member
    Some people on these boards seem to revel in making people feel stupid and making snarky comments....they are also very quick to jump back into a thread and declare their innocence and say they are just giving the facts. It's bizzare! Ive seen it time and time and time again! If this is honestly how people interact in real life, it blows my mind. There's just no need to be rude....this is meant to be a community for women who are bringing children into the world! Lets try and be more mature! The high school style attitude is just a bit sad, really!!!
  • imagePips30:
    imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

Thanks! I wish the boards could be more supportive. The whole reason people come on them is to chat and just see if other people experienced what they did. It's not to take the place of a doctor just to feel emotional support (hence community) it is sad there are so many who try to ruin it. Being pregnant makes you even more vulnerable and it's a shame :( Glad there are some great people too though. :)

Wait! Wait!  Isn't THIS "ganging up" on another member too??  hmmm... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • PearlyMPearlyM member
    imagemissesru:
    imagePips30:
    imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

I'm not sure encouraging a supportive environment and questioning why that isn't happening is the same as belittling OP and eye rolling over legitimate questions.......
  • The test that you took is qualitative, not quantitative.  What this means is that it is going to tell you if the pregnancy hormone exists in your pee.  It has no indication of 'how much' there is.  Therefore, this test having a very dark line is absolutely no indication of twins or not.

The blood test your dr is going to do is likely to test betas.  You will need to take more than one test (1 approx 48 hours after the last) to get results that mean anything.  That test also doesn't tell you if you're having twins, although if the levels are very high from one to the next (they should at least double every 48 hours, but 4x higher or more could be an indicator of twins) then that could be a sign.  

The only definitive test will be an ultrasound that shows 2 babies.

Now, your situation may have other factors that your dr is aware of and we are not.  Also, I'm not a medical professional in any way, just a woman who has gone through 4 pregnancies (1 current, 1 successful and 2 miscarriages), asked a TON of questions of medical professionals and done a ton of research.  I could be totally off. 

Hope that helps. 

• imagePearlyM:
    imagemissesru:
    imagePips30:
    imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

I'm not sure encouraging a supportive environment and questioning why that isn't happening is the same as belittling OP and eye rolling over legitimate questions.......

You're new here.  Do you join a club or walk into a work environment in real life and start dictating how things should be and what's wrong with people who have been there for years?

If you want it to be a supportive, kumbaya environment then just act that way.  Criticizing others comments (positive or negative, in your opinion) doesn't really foster a support does it now? 

• PearlyMPearlyM member
    No, I wouldn't charge in dictating behavior...but honestly if I saw people behaving toward others as they do here, I would say the same thing! It's not a case of creating a 'kumbyya' environment, at all! It's just about being decent towards others and holding in the snark when someone has a legitimate question! Everyone has different opinions and they all have the right to be put forward, but just try be pleasant to others....people come here for help and support!! If that's too much to ask.....then I don't think that's anything to be proud of!!!
  • Pearly, here's a little bit of info about TB. 

The general boards, like this one, are not known for being easy on people.  They're harsher and you're more inclined to get an "honest" or rude answer to questions.  It's the way it's been for years.

The month boards are much more puppies and rainbows and "supportive". 

There are options for people with differing personality types.  If you can survive the trial by fire that are the general boards, you're going to end up less inclined to deal with nonsense posts or ones that are seemingly stupid. 

So trying to get people to be more supportive on the general boards is trying to convince the sky to turn green. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• PearlyMPearlyM member
    I just think its a shame!! But hey, each to their own, I guess!!!
  • Pips30Pips30 member

imagePearlyM:
    Some people on these boards seem to revel in making people feel stupid and making snarky comments....they are also very quick to jump back into a thread and declare their innocence and say they are just giving the facts. It's bizzare! Ive seen it time and time and time again! If this is honestly how people interact in real life, it blows my mind. There's just no need to be rude....this is meant to be a community for women who are bringing children into the world! Lets try and be more mature! The high school style attitude is just a bit sad, really!!!

Very well said! I think some of us should set up a separate group where people can behave maturely and politely. Not much to expect is it. There are many who enjoy being very rude and then acting all offended when anyone calls them out on their totally unacceptable behavior and then starting a thread where they are nasty about a particular user. It is quite unbelievable and yes very much like high school :( I mean this is a pregnancy board - it is sad if these are the people raising the bullies.

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imagemissesru:
    imagePearlyM:
    imagemissesru:
    imagePips30:
    imagelbs2012:
    imagePips30:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageMrsMartin27:

Not hard is it? sheesh! 

Agreed! Nicely stated!

You're new here.  Do you join a club or walk into a work environment in real life and start dictating how things should be and what's wrong with people who have been there for years?

If you want it to be a supportive, kumbaya environment then just act that way.  Criticizing others comments (positive or negative, in your opinion) doesn't really foster a support does it now? 

I work for a fantastic charity that does good each and every day and makes a positive difference in people's lives. No one in my work environment would ever behave like this and if they did you are darn right I would say something. Allowing bullying is not okay. Didn't you learn that at school? Sheesh!

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imageCinemaGoddess:

Pearly, here's a little bit of info about TB. 

The general boards, like this one, are not known for being easy on people.  They're harsher and you're more inclined to get an "honest" or rude answer to questions.  It's the way it's been for years.

There are options for people with differing personality types.  If you can survive the trial by fire that are the general boards, you're going to end up less inclined to deal with nonsense posts or ones that are seemingly stupid. 

So trying to get people to be more supportive on the general boards is trying to convince the sky to turn green. 

So if members question why people behave so terribly to each other on here they should be referred to the puppies and rainbows boards?! Well I guess if those boards aren't for bullying and being snarky that would be the best choice. I imagine most women would want a positive pregnancy and not posts and posts of nasty comments. It is far more worrying that these are the same women bringing babies in to the world. Talk about how bullies get raised! Hazing on a pregnancy board is not exactly something to boast about but if they are all contained to one section that is a relief to know.

• imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

So if members question why people behave so terribly to each other on here they should be referred to the puppies and rainbows boards?! Well I guess if those boards aren't for bullying and being snarky that would be the best choice. I imagine most women would want a positive pregnancy and not posts and posts of nasty comments. It is far more worrying that these are the same women bringing babies in to the world. Talk about how bullies get raised! Hazing on a pregnancy board is not exactly something to boast about but if they are all contained to one section that is a relief to know.

Actually, implying that these women are going to raise "bullies" is way worse than anything that has been said to you. 

imageimage

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

Actually, implying that these women are going to raise "bullies" is way worse than anything that has been said to you. 

When you are rude and bully people that is what you teach to your kids. It isn't mean it is sadly the truth.

• imagePips30:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

When you are rude and bully people that is what you teach to your kids. It isn't mean it is sadly the truth.

That is absolutely not the truth, and you shouldn't infer you know anything about these women in real life by the way they act on message boards.  They are honest and blunt, but they give real, truthful, factual advice.  I am sorry if you don't like the way it's delivered, but then you can always ask Dr. Google or call your OB for answers.  The same questions are asked here every single day, so the responses become very rote.  If you don't like it then this may not be the place for you.

Again, you know absolutely nothing about this women, yet you are judging and casting the first stone.  That is much more a reflection of you than it is a reflection of them.  You are making ridiculous assumptions and extrapolations about people you know absolutely nothing about; if you consider their honesty and bluntness to be bullying, you are also guilty of bullying.

imageimage

• Pips30Pips30 member
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

That is absolutely not the truth, and you shouldn't infer you know anything about these women in real life by the way they act on message boards.  They are honest and blunt, but they give real, truthful, factual advice.  I am sorry if you don't like the way it's delivered, but then you can always ask Dr. Google or call your OB for answers.  The same questions are asked here every single day, so the responses become very rote.  If you don't like it then this may not be the place for you.

Again, you know absolutely nothing about this women, yet you are judging and casting the first stone.  That is much more a reflection of you than it is a reflection of them.  You are making ridiculous assumptions and extrapolations about people you know absolutely nothing about; if you consider their honesty and bluntness to be bullying, you are also guilty of bullying.

So bored of this. Good luck to you

• imagePips30:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

Weren't you one of the ones who joined in on a separate thread to say nasty things about a post I wrote?! You can be truthful without being horrible. I can read and have read the kinds of post these people write. It's no loss to me to not be a part of this - I just like to stand up for people being teared up but nasty posters. 

It would appear otherwise since you are the primary person continuing to stir sh!t in this thread.   It would have quietly died a while ago if you could take your own advice.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• imagePips30:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

"Bullying"?  Oh for effs sake come on.  This is such a catch phrase these days and somewhere along the line the term turned into "I don't like what you have to say, so wahhhh you're a bully".  It's an online forum.  If it bothers you this much, you need to evaluate your life. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"