September 2012 Moms

Bottle weaning?

The post about babies holding their own bottles yesterday got me thinking.  Should I be starting to bottle wean him already?  I feel like I have no idea about this.  DS prefers to hold his own bottle, but he needs to be laying down, so I still hold him when he eats.  He can drink out of a sippy cup pretty well and is actually pretty good a drinking out cup if I offer it to him.  When do I start giving him formula in a sippy?  Any STM want to share their experiences?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottle weaning?

• hmp1hmp1 member

We practiced with a sippy often and made sure he was good with picking it up and down from his tray all by himself. Sometime between 10 and 11 months I just stopped giving him bottles except for his bedtime bottle. I stopped that sometime between 11 and 12 months. He was completely off bottles before his first birthday which is what our pedi suggested. About a week before his first birthday (I chose this time because we were going out of town for his first birthday and I didn't want to bring formula) I started putting WCM in his sippy instead of formula. He didn't care about the switch at all.

Leo is not very good at picking his sippy up to drink and putting it back down so we are still in the practice stage. I don't feel like we are close to giving up bottles yet. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imagejlk6:
    Kinda piggybacking off of your question but when do they typically start taking less formula/bm and more solids? Are we at the point where that's okay? Connor can still be picky about solids but he's been getting them 3 times a day now.

What my pedi and family doctor said (I asked them both) was that by 9 months DS should only be getting 2 bottles/nursing sessions a day and the rest is solids.

This does not seem to go with what others are saying on here which is why I asked both doctors and that was what I got. I just went to my family doctor last week and asked again and she said right now he should be getting 3 bottles a day and 3 meals of solids and a bedtime snack.

I know others will say differently, but that's what my pedi said so we're going with that.

• Loading the player...
  • imageCdnFarmGirl08:

What my pedi and family doctor said (I asked them both) was that by 9 months DS should only be getting 2 bottles/nursing sessions a day and the rest is solids.

This does not seem to go with what others are saying on here which is why I asked both doctors and that was what I got. I just went to my family doctor last week and asked again and she said right now he should be getting 3 bottles a day and 3 meals of solids and a bedtime snack.

I know others will say differently, but that's what my pedi said so we're going with that.

Huh, there's no way we could do that.  DD will only take about 3 oz of formula in a bottle at a time.  I can't get her to take more than that, but I'm thinking maybe I messed up when I was BFing because she always has to eat before she goes to sleep and then again when she wakes up.  Having her eat solids 3x a day is no problem, but limiting the number of bottles instead of recommending a number of ounces per day seems strange to me... Looks like we have a lot to ask her pedi about next week!

ETA: I wasn't going to try to bottle wean her until closer to a year.  She drinks great out of a sippy cup, but unless she gets on her back, she still needs us to hold it for her.  She can hold a bottle, but only tries to when she feels like it.

• imagewatercolor5:
    imageCdnFarmGirl08:

Huh, there's no way we could do that.  DD will only take about 3 oz of formula in a bottle at a time.  I can't get her to take more than that, but I'm thinking maybe I messed up when I was BFing because she always has to eat before she goes to sleep and then again when she wakes up.  Having her eat solids 3x a day is no problem, but limiting the number of bottles instead of recommending a number of ounces per day seems strange to me... Looks like we have a lot to ask her pedi about next week!

ETA: I wasn't going to try to bottle wean her until closer to a year.  She drinks great out of a sippy cup, but unless she gets on her back, she still needs us to hold it for her.  She can hold a bottle, but only tries to when she feels like it.

See my LO won't take a bottle really either which is partly why I'm still breastfeeding. He will only 3-4 oz a day as well. I meant to ask waht a bottle consisted of in terms of oz but forgot. I am going back to the pedi next week so I'm going to ask then. I thought it was weird to so that's why I asked my family doctor as well and that's what she said too.

He takes it ok out of a sippy cup, so that's what I've been trying more but then he will only take 2-3 sips and in a bottle he will at least take 2oz at a time. I just offer it whenever he eats and in between as I see fit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"