Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fussy baby while nursing

I've posted about this before and it seems like it comes in waves.  The past few days it's been excessive and driving me crazy again.  My LO starts nursing and about 2-5 minutes in starts pulling off, fussing, and screaming like crazy.  Usually when I sit her up she stops crying or at least the screaming subsides somewhat.  As soon as I lay her back down on her side, screaming again.  We also feed her 1-2 bottles a day but my husband always feeds her propped up on an angle and she never has an issue. I'm starting to wonder if this could be due to reflux?  Can any of you who have LO's diagnosed with reflux tell me if this sounds familiar.  I need help!

Re: Fussy baby while nursing

• To me it sounds like she is mad because when you nurse, milk doesn't come out as quickly/easily as it does in the bottles that she gets.  I guess maybe nipple confusion?
  • Sounds like gas, reflux, or just frustration at the slow flow of your natural nips. 

Have you tried nursing in other positions? Burping her when she starts fussing? Mine did this and I was stumped until I realized he needed to be burped. These days he's just picky about nursing positions because of reflux. He's very opinionated, that one Wink 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried burping then trying again? It could be that your milk isn't letting down fast enough and LO is annoyed. My girl got fussy and we had to stop giving her bottles to fix it and now she has been BFing much better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd say LO was annoyed at the slow milk flow. I noticed the same things with our LO so I'm only pumping and giving her a bottle on the rate occasion such as if we have to nip out in the car and BFing isn't an option.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebeckyschell:
    Have you tried burping then trying again? It could be that your milk isn't letting down fast enough and LO is annoyed. My girl got fussy and we had to stop giving her bottles to fix it and now she has been BFing much better.

Yup. I'd cut out the bottles because that can frustrate them.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I am in the midst of what you're describing.  It's been going on for over a month.  DS was diagnosed w/ reflux at his 2 month check-up and has been on Zantac for about 3 weeks.  I am still having the problems with BFing.  He switches it up though... sometimes he'll do great on one side for 7-10 minutes and the he'll refuse the 2nd side (screaming if I even get him close to trying to latch on).  Sometimes, he'll pop on and off constantly and then get pissed and cry.  I've seen a lactation consultant twice and she thought it was due to low supply and rapid let down when I saw her 2 weeks ago.  Now, my supply is up (due to Fenugreek and I got over a cold) but I'm still having problems.  She thinks he's getting too much now and isn't hungry enough.  It is so frustrating!  So, I'm no help, but just wanted to say that you're not alone!
  • UberBizUberBiz member

I echo the others, and say try to burp when she gets fussy. When I know V is really hungry and he keeps popping off the boob, I'll try to burp him and that's almost always the issue.

And I'll be devil's advocate and say maybe your flow is too fast, and that she's used to sucking harder on a bottle for the milk and getting less. Milk will come out of a human nipple in multiple streams (at least mine does, I can see it coming out when I pump), and it is a much faster flow than when he is sucking on a bottle. My daughter screamed at the bottle until I enlarged the hole because she had to work harder at it than at the breast.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have found that my baby nurses better when I nurse him right when he wakes up. He's still a little sleepy and hungry but not starving, so the time it takes for the letdown doesn't bother him. For this reason and others, we follow eat-play-sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"