September 2012 Moms
Options

NBR Fish eaters please help.

I have never eaten fresh fish. I've been wanting to try it but I don't know where to start.
So any tips? Any recipes, how do I pick out a good fish?
TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR Fish eaters please help.

• Options
    Newt69Newt69 member
    Pick a mild fish, like haddock or cod, put it on a piece of foil, do some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Put in the oven at 375400 for a few minutes until the middle is firm. You can also fold up the foil as a pocket and steam it or put it on the grill.
  • Options
    imageNewt69:
    Pick a mild fish, like haddock or cod, put it on a piece of foil, do some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Put in the oven at 375400 for a few minutes until the middle is firm. You can also fold up the foil as a pocket and steam it or put it on the grill.

That sounds good, thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

I am not a fish person, if it tastes fishy I won't eat it. I love tilapia. It is very mild, easy to cook, and inexpensive. We have it just about every week. 

A really simple way to make it that I do often is pour Lea Perrins White Wine & Herb marinade and some cracked pepper over a few filets and bake in the oven on 375 for about 10min. Serve over rice.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    HyalineHyaline member

First--picking fish.  Unless you live on a coast, your fish is probably being flown in frozen.  So "fresh" doesn't really mean what it means in a coastal region--that is, the fish you're buying has probably already been frozen and in that way isn't much different from, say, bagged filets.  It's ok, just an FYI in terms of not overspending for packaging.

DH was not a big fish person before we got married, and he loves salmon (has a meatier texture and is nearly impossible to screw up) and tilapia (super-mild flavor).  You can cook either in parchment paper pouches in the oven or on the grill.  Or my favorite salmon-cooking method--rub with your favorite seasoning (we like cajun or fresh herb blend), and then cook on the stove (I put it seasoning-side down to sear it, then flip to skin-side down, add white wine or water and simmer covered until it's done).  Salmon is a fattier fish so it's hard to really overcook it, making it a great beginner fish dish.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHyaline:
    Firstpicking fish. nbsp;Unless you live on a coast, your fish is probably being flown in frozen. nbsp;So "fresh" doesn't really mean what it means in a coastal regionthat is, the fish you're buying has probably already been frozen and in that way isn't much different from, say, bagged filets. nbsp;It's ok, just an FYI in terms of not overspending for packaging.DH was not a big fish person before we got married, and he loves salmon has a meatier texture and is nearly impossible to screw up and tilapia supermild flavor. nbsp;You can cook either in parchment paper pouches in the oven or on the grill. nbsp;Or my favorite salmoncooking methodrub with your favorite seasoning we like cajun or fresh herb blend, and then cook on the stove I put it seasoningside down to sear it, then flip to skinside down, add white wine or water and simmer covered until it's done. nbsp;Salmon is a fattier fish so it's hard to really overcook it, making it a great beginner fish dish.

I live on Lake Superior so I can get some fresh fish. I guess I really wouldn't care if it was frozen. I do eat shrimp and we don't have any of those swimming around here. Salmon sounds like a good 1 to try since its not too easy to screw up. Thanks.
  • Options
    imagehmpmrj:
    I am not a fish person, if it tastes fishy I won't eat it. I love tilapia. It is very mild, easy to cook, and inexpensive. We have it just about every week.nbsp;A really simple way to make it that I do often is pour Lea Perrins White Wine amp; Herb marinade and some cracked pepper over a few filets and bake in the oven on 375 for about 10min. Serve over rice.

Thank you! I think I'd like this.
  • Options
    HyalineHyaline member

imageihearttroy1:
    imageHyaline:
    Firstpicking fish. nbsp;Unless you live on a coast, your fish is probably being flown in frozen. nbsp;So "fresh" doesn't really mean what it means in a coastal regionthat is, the fish you're buying has probably already been frozen and in that way isn't much different from, say, bagged filets. nbsp;It's ok, just an FYI in terms of not overspending for packaging.DH was not a big fish person before we got married, and he loves salmon has a meatier texture and is nearly impossible to screw up and tilapia supermild flavor. nbsp;You can cook either in parchment paper pouches in the oven or on the grill. nbsp;Or my favorite salmoncooking methodrub with your favorite seasoning we like cajun or fresh herb blend, and then cook on the stove I put it seasoningside down to sear it, then flip to skinside down, add white wine or water and simmer covered until it's done. nbsp;Salmon is a fattier fish so it's hard to really overcook it, making it a great beginner fish dish.
    I live on Lake Superior so I can get some fresh fish. I guess I really wouldn't care if it was frozen. I do eat shrimp and we don't have any of those swimming around here. Salmon sounds like a good 1 to try since its not too easy to screw up. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't mind frozen--I know foodies get a little meh on it, but I've never had a problem :)  Of course just-caught is amazing, but hey--what are you going to do?

I feel like most of the fish you can get from Lake Superior--like pike--is pretty fishy-tasting.  But you may be able to get steelhead?  They come up the rivers where I grew up in northern IN to spawn.  They're basically like salmon (meaty, pink fish), and it's delish.  I often find it for cheaper than salmon around me. 

• Options
    imageorigamipoppy:

If you're going for salmon I implore you to get pacific wild and NOT atlantic farm or atlantic wild. Pacific wild has very little fish taste, is very rich, and it is currently the ONLY fish friendly, sustainable form of salmon--and it's not laden with mercury like its atlantic brethren. It also tastes better IMO.

Yes. This.

If you are interested in more info on which fish are sustainable - the Monterrey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program has some good info (easy to search too) 

• Options
    imagethechimichanga:
    Tilapia/fluke/flounder are all safe to start with. They are very mild.Salmon is mild too but is a little more fishy.Parmesan encrusted tilapia is amazing.Coat in egg, dip in breadcrum/parmesan mixture, bake for 1015 mins depending on thickness and serve with a veggie amp; white wine. :Salmon is good glazed with a little brown sugar and honey baked or grilled. Grilled on a cedar plan with herbs, lemon and a little butter is good too.

I'll be trying these for sure, thanks!
  • Options
    imageHyaline:

imageihearttroy1:
    imageHyaline:

Yeah, I don't mind frozen--I know foodies get a little meh on it, but I've never had a problem :)  Of course just-caught is amazing, but hey--what are you going to do?

I feel like most of the fish you can get from Lake Superior--like pike--is pretty fishy-tasting.  But you may be able to get steelhead?  They come up the rivers where I grew up in northern IN to spawn.  They're basically like salmon (meaty, pink fish), and it's delish.  I often find it for cheaper than salmon around me. 

I'm pretty sure I can get steelhead.
  • Options
    imageorigamipoppy:
    If you're going for salmon I implore you to get pacific wild and NOT atlantic farm or atlantic wild. Pacific wild has very little fish taste, is very rich, and it is currently the ONLY fish friendly, sustainable form of salmonand it's not laden with mercury like its atlantic brethren. It also tastes better IMO.nbsp;

Thank you! I'll try to find it here. I know there's a lot of mercury in our local fish.
  • Options
    imageelle.bee:
    imageorigamipoppy:

If you're going for salmon I implore you to get pacific wild and NOT atlantic farm or atlantic wild. Pacific wild has very little fish taste, is very rich, and it is currently the ONLY fish friendly, sustainable form of salmon--and it's not laden with mercury like its atlantic brethren. It also tastes better IMO.

Yes. This.

If you are interested in more info on which fish are sustainable - the Monterrey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program has some good info (easy to search too) 

Great, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"