Babies: 0 - 3 Months

getting breastfed baby to take the bottle

I've tried everything, my baby is now almost 5 months old and won't take the bottle. Any suggestions?

Re: getting breastfed baby to take the bottle

• Are you in the room?  I've heard that some babies won't take it if their mother is anywhere nearby. 
  • evertzevertz member
    imageJTGochnour:
    Are you in the room?  I've heard that some babies won't take it if their mother is anywhere nearby. 
    I'd agree with this. DH give baby the bottle.. I doubt LO would accept one from me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I returned to work at 6 weeks with DS1 and 8 weeks with DS2 so they both needed to take a bottle at that point.  Someone other than you needs to give the bottle and you should not be in the room.  I am assuming you are giving pumped breast milk.  If that is the case, at least the taste is the same.  I would recommend slightly warming the BM in warm water since cold milk would be a big change.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • poppyc8poppyc8 member

i'm in the same boat with my 11 week old.  though my husband finally got him to take a bottle today!  i had to leave the house for an hour while he did it.   he also fed him in his office not in our house where he normally feeds so maybe that helped?

my mom tried while i was in the house yesterday and while i left the house and both didn't work for her. she's a postpartum nurse and she couldn't get him to take it. she said his mouth wasn't forming a seal around the nipple.  i'm hoping over time it will get easier and he will start taking the bottle from people other then my husband.  we are just going to keep at it everyday. i go back to work full-time in 2 weeks.  i tried to give him the bottle myself and he kept either smiling at me and pushing it out with his tongue or eventually fussing.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My first was very srubborn about taking a bottle from someone else. Ironically she would take one from me withoit a problem. She would even take one fron someone else when I was in the room.

Luckily I had a day care provider who was willing to wait her out. Eventually they will fet hungry enough to eat. She refused the 1st feed and then was hungry enough by the 2nd to take it. It only took a couple of Times of her refusing to realize this was the person she was going to have to rely on for herfood and all was fine after.
  • imageevertz:
    imageJTGochnour:
    Are you in the room?  I've heard that some babies won't take it if their mother is anywhere nearby. 
    I'd agree with this. DH give baby the bottle.. I doubt LO would accept one from me.

My LO won't even take one if she hears my voice, let alone from me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PhoopyPhoopy member

We were having trouble getting my 12-week DS to take the bottle too, but I discovered that he'll take it easily from me if he is in his crib distracted by his mobile... (We warmed up the nipple rather than the milk) After a few times he was ok to take it in his car seat when I'm sitting in the back with him, and eventually now while he's in my lap! I'm so relieved, as DH will be spending a month home with him when I return to work in two weeks. In short, distraction worked...

• UberBizUberBiz member
    what kind of bottle/nipples are you using? Maybe a wider neck that resembles a boob more? Are you using pumped breast milk or trying formula? I really don't have any advice, my son is a little piggy and will eat anything that gets put in his mouth (I gave him a bottle of formula at the dr's office yesterday and he just went to town. He prefers boobs, but he'll take whatever he can get!).
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO is 13 weeks today and this has been her first week at daycare and I had been trying every single bottle out there I could find because she refused- the very last bottle I found was what I sent her to daycare with and she only took an ounce at first from them, but then started going to town on it afterwards...the bottles are made by Lasinoh and kind of shapped like a boob and she is doing great with them now- I even gave her two feedings out of them last night, so I don't know if you are in the same situation and have tried a bunch of bottles, but I would highly recommend these ones if you are struggling- I got 2 for 9.99 at my Target.  Daycare also told me she needed the milk to be really warm, so that is another thing to try if you haven't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"