August 2012 Moms

Goodnight ipad

Ok, I was seriously closing out of the bump window and was going to buckle down and get to work....but I a came across this: https://store.mentalfloss.com/the-mental_floss-store/Books/Goodnight-iPad  and it got me thinking....

At what age do you think it's appropiate to give a child an ipod, ipad, cell phone, laptop, DS game systems, etc?

I'm having a hard time with this.  Yes, we're not there yet....but DH and I like to talk about this kind of thing and be on the same page.  I was always the type of kid who read a book, played outside, played sports, played board games.  My brother and I played video games occasionally, but never on a nice, sunny day.  I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 15. 

I have a smart phone, my husband has a flip phone and says he wants to be the last person on earth to own a flip phone.  We don't want our children to be all about electronics, but this is clearly the norm.  But on the other hand, I don't want them to be completely left out/behind of their peers.  KWIM?

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

Re: Goodnight ipad

• I grew up without electronics pretty much. I didn't own a gaming system till I was 12, tv was only for an hour after school if my homework was done, and I didn't have a cell phone till I could drive. Even then, the cell phone was for emergencies only and had a 30 minute per month plan. DH had a little more exposure to video games and tv when he was a kid but not much. We both have iPhones now and are constantly battling each other and ourselves to limit our screen time.

For DS, I don't think there is any way to avoid exposure to iPads, iPhones, tv, other electronics, etc. Once he is old enough to be asking for it instead of us just giving it to him, we will have limits and rules in place. For now, sometimes letting him hold our iPhone and look at the screen is the only way we can get 2 minutes to pay for groceries or each our lunch.
  • DH has a flip phone, paid for by his company. They want to upgrade him to an iPhone and he's like "nah, I'm good. Get me another Rugby!" I just got an iPhone 4 three months so because I had to upgrade and it was only .97 with a two year renewal.
    The laptop we use is missing the Q key and Z has stopped working almost completely. I've had it since my freshman year of college. Neither one of us own a tablet and we don't have cable.
    Honestly, when DD reaches an age where she will be separated from us for long periods of time for sports, school dances, etc. then we will let her have a basic phone with texting.
    I never received a laptop in high school, nor did DH so I don't see any reason why we'd get DD one before college. I got along just fine on the good ole Gateway desktop.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • SJandVASJandVA member
    DD1 is 5 and she plays some preschool games on the computer. She has my old iPhone that has no service. It has her music and pictures and some kid games. She doesn't play with them a lot or for a long length of time. If she used then all the time we would definitely take then away.
    As much as I don't like it I think the normal age for a functioning cell phone is younger and younger. We will try to hold off until highschool.
    victoria5month samantha5
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"