May 2013 Moms

EPing...what should I do?

DS's doctor asked me to EP for 48 because he has had green bowel movements. He said it could be normal or it could be from him being allergic to the formula. So he wants to get the formula out of his system.

But...I can't keep up with pumping. Plus I think the stress is making it worse. I'll be calling the doctor about what to do but any suggestions? Should I supplement with same formula or something different?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: EPing...what should I do?

• jayro10jayro10 member
    If the doctor wants formula to be out of his system, why would you supplement with formula?
    If you're really having a hard time pumping, call the doctor. Maybe they can give you advice or try to see him sooner.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • pnutgpnutg member
    I EP'd for 2 days because of jaundice. It was hard to keep up but i pumped every 2 hours and made do. I know it's tough but stay away from formula like your dr ordered and stay hydrated. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm an EPer due to having a preemie.  When you say you can't keep up, do you mean milk production?  Or you can't keep up with the pumping itself?  If it's a supply issue, my best advice is to drink a TON of water.  More water than you ever thought possible.  You will notice an increase in your breastmilk within the next 2 sessions if you up your water consumption.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I'm pumping due to him having problems gaining weight.

I called the doctor and he's out of the office. His nurse isn't comfortable changing formula so she hesitantly said to supplement and call back in the morning.

I pump every 2 hours and I only get between 1 to 2 oz. He eats 23oz every 2 to 4 hours. I had 8 oz pumped when I started the 48 hours yesterday and now I have .5 oz of milk pumped and I just pumped. He will be ready to eat again before its time to pump again.

I am stressing myself over it but I know that makes my supply worse.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm with PP don't give him formula, at all if your doctor wants it out of his system. Just pump 15 mins each side every 2 to 3 hours and you should be able to keep up that way. It's only temporary until it gets sorted out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok. But I'm not keeping up. I'm pumping 15 minutes every two hours and I'm only getting about an oz. That means 2 oz every 4 hours.

If I go to three hours will that shock my body into more milk? Will letting him "nurse" even if not to actually use it as a feeding help stimulate more milk flow?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Putting my LO to breast (when I did) stimulated my supply.  As I mentioned earlier, I'd down some water.  No harm, no foul if it doesn't help, but it just might do the trick.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Talked to my LC and she also said to nurse then pump after but don't pump enough to make myself sore.

First nurse went great. 10 minutes on each side and slept for 4 hours. Woke up and nursed the same or a little more than the first time and now is super fussy and won't go back to sleep. Should I try nursing him more?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pnutgpnutg member
    imagecaymarks:
    Talked to my LC and she also said to nurse then pump after but don't pump enough to make myself sore.

First nurse went great. 10 minutes on each side and slept for 4 hours. Woke up and nursed the same or a little more than the first time and now is super fussy and won't go back to sleep. Should I try nursing him more?

I would. Sometimes 20 mins isn't enough for my little guy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Apparently he is hitting his 3 week growth spurt. He is constantly hungry...meaning every 20 minutes or so. Plus he refuses to be put down. So cuddling and nursing all day it is. So glad DH is home today.

Oh and since I haven't been nursing I get to experience the horrible pain of starting over and going through a growth spurt. Yay!

Thanks ladies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Amy you are funny and very helpful! Thank you for all your help!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"