Breastfeeding

Engorgement issues - 3 days PP? Help!

Hi Ladies, 

We just had our sweet DD on Tuesday.  She's a great nurser but I woke up this morning with chills, then a 102 fever- I called my OB GYN on call and they think I'm already engorged.  I tried to pump to see how much/what was coming out (colostrum or milk) and I got about a quarter of an ounce, which makes me think my milk may have not come in yet.  However, the girls are feeling heavy.  I have a call into a lactation consultant for help but if you have any advice, I would appreciate it.   

Thank you!! 

Re: Engorgement issues - 3 days PP? Help!

• I was advised to apply cold packs (like frozen peas or gel freezer packs) every hour for 10 minutes for 24 hours to relieve the swelling, alternating with moist heat (like hot wash cloths) before nursing to get the milk flowing. Worked really well for me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • litzo27litzo27 member

imageMomIn2013:
    I was advised to apply cold packs (like frozen peas or gel freezer packs) every hour for 10 minutes for 24 hours to relieve the swelling, alternating with moist heat (like hot wash cloths) before nursing to get the milk flowing. Worked really well for me!

Great advice. Also you can take a Tylenol if the pain is strong. It sounds like your milk is definitely coming in. The good thing is that supply should regulate within several days - a week so you will be much more comfortable. Try not to pump unnecessarily to avoid creating oversupply. If you really need to take the edge off it's better to hand-express just a little. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The fever, chills and engorgement would make me worried about mastitis.  If the LC doesn't call you back soon, I would insist with your OB that you need to be seen for possible mastitis treatment today.  I'm surprised they weren't more worried about your fever; I'm pretty sure I was instructed to call my OB ASAP if I had a fever over 100 degrees within a week of leaving the hospital.

In the meantime, if you feel full but aren't able to pump much, you may have several clogged ducts.  And if you feel engorged, then your milk is definitely in.  You need to try and clear them by hand expressing or massaging while you nurse.  You can also take a hot shower which should help stimulate letdown and hand express there.  If that still isn't working, nurse, nurse, nurse.  Your DD will do the best job at getting the milk out.

Congrats on your DD's birth!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"