Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Please Help! Bright Spot on the Heart

Hi there, sorry for lurking, but I don't know where to post this question!  

Did any of you have a "bright spot" or calcium deposit on your baby's heart during your anatomy scan ultrasound?  

We were told that our baby has one and that increases her risk of chromosomal irregularities like Down Syndrome.  My doctor tried to reassure me that everything else looks good, but it's still scary.  Since then I've heard that it's fairly common... so I was wondering if any of you Mamas have been through this, and how your LO is doing.   Thank you so much!

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
DD #2 Violet- October 2013
DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

Re: Please Help! Bright Spot on the Heart

• Yep, DS had calcification in his heart but he is perfectly healthy to date. My understanding is it's only concerning if other risk factors are observed. We had another US after the 20 wk m, which was our first, to assess and no other risk factors were seen. My doctor's kids had the same thing, too. Hopefully, all is fine with your LO!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DS had this, along with hydronephrosis. We had a level 2 sono and fetal echo done, which were both normal. DS was born completely healthy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, we had this. It was nothing...she's perfectly healthy!
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• Same! I was worried too when her 20 wk scan came back. My dr reassured me and said about 40% of babies show that. Don't worry. Like pp said, it only really matters when paired with other abnormalities, so if all your other tests came back super low risk then chances are you're baby is still like 2 in 40,000 odds for any chromosomal differences. 

Our daughter was born totally healthy and is a happy smiley 11 week old now 

• My son had a bright spot on his brain and in his stomach and was born perfectly healthy!!!  These are very normal, try not to worry yourself! :-)
    Me: PCOS   DH: No issues

August '16-January '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI/TI = BFN
    February/March '17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = BFN
    April '17: Menopur + HCG + TI (due to too many mature follicles) = BFN
    May '17: Took off due to cysts
    June' 17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = Cancelled due to 8+ mature follicles
    November '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI= BFN
    December '17: Menopur + HCG + TI= BFP!!!! Due August 2018

• Thank you for your responses, this is reassuring!!  Congrats on your new babies!
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011

• DS had a calcium deposit on his heart at 20 weeks also. It also turned out to be nothing. My OB told me that 98% of babies with this end up with no chromosomal abnormalities.
    BFP #1: 5-14-2010, DD born 1-22-2011
    BFP #2: 4-20-2012, Natural MC 5-1-2012
    BFP #3: 7-19-2012, DS born 3-27-2013
    BFP #4: 9-13-2014, MMC discovered 10-27-14 at 10w, d&c on 11-6-14 

• Reading this thread it almost seems ironic that my LO who does have down syndrome had none of these spots mentioned here and the ones that did have the spots do not have down syndrome. Makes me wonder if the spots really are related to down syndrome or some other chromosomal abnormality.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • imagePipSqueak0313:
    Reading this thread it almost seems ironic that my LO who does have down syndrome had none of these spots mentioned here and the ones that did have the spots do not have down syndrome. Makes me wonder if the spots really are related to down syndrome or some other chromosomal abnormality.

Thank you for your response.  I found a NY Times article that kind of made it sound like they don't really know what the bright spots mean.  The doctor they were interviewing said something along the lines of ultrasound technology advancing beyond what they really know about.  My doctor did specifically mention Down Syndrome, but I'm not sure where the correlation came from.  

DD #1 Eva- April 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"