Parenting

TV at daycare

DS1 is at a center.

Twice in the past few months I have seen them roll in a TV and let the kids watch. Today DS told me he watched Max and Ruby at daycare.

Now, I'm not trying to start a TV debate but I am home during the day with DS2 and I send DS1 there to get away from TV. I'm a little pissed that I'm paying a lot of money for them to let him watch Max and Ruby. I can do that for free!

What say you parenting? Write an email to the director? Or let it go?

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

Re: TV at daycare

• At a center I don't think they should be doing that.  I'd probably be a little more lenient towards an in-home, but a center has plenty of people & they should be doing activities. 
  • Ds goes to a dc center and they watch tv in the morning as the children arrive. It doesn't bother me, since I know it isn't on during the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesofamonkey:
    At a center I don't think they should be doing that.  I'd probably be a little more lenient towards an in-home, but a center has plenty of people & they should be doing activities. 

This is my thinking. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If they are constantly watching TV (like an everyday thing) then I would say something to the director, if it's just an occasional thing I would let it go.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagefredalina:
    Twice in three months isn't awful but it would still irk me.

This is where I am with it. It irks me but not enough to say anything.

FWIW, I feel there's a lot more screen time going on there than they admit but I don't have proof and don't want to sound crazy.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Our dc does tv in the afternoons while waiting for the kids to get picked up. As more kids go home, they move them all into 1 room and turn on a movie or Veggie Tales.

• lrn327lrn327 member
    Our DC doesn't have even a single tv in the building.  So, I'm not use to that and it would be a deal breaker for me.  Was it mentioned before you started at the DC?  Our's was pretty clear about their policies so I never had any question.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageproudworkingmom82:
    If they are constantly watching TV like an everyday thing then I would say something to the director, if it's just an occasional thing I would let it go.
    This. DD's daycare centre puts a Dora "movie" in on Friday afternoons. I think its like 45 min. She's not there every Friday so it doesn't really bug me, but the first time I heard of it, yeah I was a little irked.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Our daycare doesn't do TV. They do have a flat screen in the common area where they do activities and show books from ABC Mouse. PreK has permission to show Scholastic DVD'S on rainy days but those are books that have been animated. So, kind of TV but not like Nick Jr. or Disney. I would not want my kids watching every day at daycare because if I wanted them to watch I would just keep them home.

image image
  • Ours is an in-home and she puts on the TV while she is making lunch for the kids and when they are being picked up in the afternoon if they are not outside (like, rain, etc.)  He's not interested in TV at home, so that is usually the only screen time he has, so it doesn't bother me.

We are switching to a center/preschool in the fall and they said that they only use a TV when the weather is lousy.  If that is not the case, I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but again if he's not interested at home, then I probably won't have a huge issue with it. 

• We just started at a center about 6 weeks ago and one of the things I was happy about was that he wouldn't be watching as much tv as he did at his inhome. But I swear every day he is talking about Daniel Tigers Neighborhood. So I'm a little annoyed as well.
  • If they are watching it all day long or if they had told you that there would be no tv, then maybe I'd be upset, but watching a short show once in a while? That wouldn't bother me. DD's at an in home daycare and they watch something after lunch before nap.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"